• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

With the #15 pick in the 2023 NBA Draft, the Hawks select.....

JayBirdHawk

On 6/6/2023 at 12:01 PM, Spud2nique said:

@kg01 told ya this dude Pippen. He’s gonna be better than Scoot(n)..ie Penn :batman:

IMG_8145.png

@kg01 it’s Brandon Pippen over Scoot Oden for me.

Many NBA executives (and Spud) say they were disappointed in what they saw from Henderson this season in repeated viewings, which will likely cause him to fall to No. 3 unless he blows the Hornets away in their private workout."

Just now, Spud2nique said:

Many NBA executives (and Spud)

:huh: :batman:

Edited by Spud2nique

I’m typically not one that would say “swing for the fence” when it comes to drafting in the middle part of the first round.  I would typically go with the guy that I feel can come in and play a role on the team.  

The Hawks are in a position though where they can take a shot here.  Without a trade to clear up a rotation spot, there is little to no way that anyone they take at 15 will crack this top 10.  

So, to me, this may be the time to draft the raw talented guy and just let him develop in practice, at College Park and by watching.  

Edited by KB21
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member
17 hours ago, KB21 said:

Without a trade to clear up a rotation spot, there is little to no way that anyone they take at 15 will crack this top 10.  

So, to me, this may be the time to draft the raw talented guy and just let him develop in practice, at College Park and by watching.  

If you tell me there is absolutely no trade proposal on the table that is worth pursuing, and my only best option is to stay at #15 and draft, I'm "swinging for the fences" but in a very limited way. I want to leave open the possibility that someone I draft actually could be an asset though unexpected... every year there are examples of that throughout the league. You never know, too, when injury can cause you to have to rely on a rookie more than intended. And, there's also the possibility that a July trade opens up greater potential for a rookie to get minutes.

So, I'm not drafting a 2nd round talent in the 1st, for instance, just because he's only been playing organized basketball since he was 16 and he's so advanced for someone with so little experience... whereas I might consider it under more extreme circumstances.

But I might draft a player who's jumped all the way from having mid-to-late 2nd round grades since the end of the season to having mid-to-late 1st round grades... and at specific positions or in a specific role where it's my perception the player legitimately could have some impact over the course of 82 games.

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, sturt said:

If you tell me there is absolutely no trade proposal on the table that is worth pursuing, and my only best option is to stay at #15 and draft, I'm "swinging for the fences" but in a very limited way. I want to leave open the possibility that someone I draft actually could be an asset though unexpected... every year there are examples of that throughout the league. You never know, too, when injury can cause you to have to rely on a rookie more than intended. And, there's also the possibility that a July trade opens up greater potential for a rookie to get minutes.

So, I'm not drafting a 2nd round talent in the 1st, for instance, just because he's only been playing organized basketball since he was 16 and he's so advanced for someone with so little experience... whereas I might consider it under more extreme circumstances.

But I might draft a player who's jumped all the way from having mid-to-late 2nd round grades since the end of the season to having mid-to-late 1st round grades... and at specific positions or in a specific role where it's my perception the player legitimately could have some impact over the course of 82 games.

The Spurs exemplified how to do this after they drafted Timmy.  They didn't hit every pick by any means but they took guys who could grow into contributors even from their late slot in the draft.

Dealing the #24 pick for Antonio Daniels

Manu Ginobili

Tony Parker

Luis Scola

Dealing the #26 pick for Speedy Claxton

Dealing the #28 pick for Nazr Mohammed

Beno Udrih

Tiago Splitter

George Hill

Dealing George Hill for Kawhi Leonard

Cory Joseph

etc.

All these guys were drafted later than where we are picking and all of them played meaningful minutes for the Spurs in some cases for many years and in other cases just for a season or two but they consistently got positive contributors who helped flesh out their rotation.  They were the masters at hitting way above the expected rate where many other teams were drafting Cal Bowdler, Dion Glover, Doug Edwards, Roy Marble, etc. types.

We don't need home runs but we need consistent additions of quality players on rookie contracts to help us navigate the cap challenges that lie ahead of us the next few years.  Rookies drafted where we should be drafting are cheap contributors when you draft useful players.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, AHF said:

The Spurs exemplified how to do this after they drafted Timmy.  They didn't hit every pick by any means but they took guys who could grow into contributors even from their late slot in the draft.

Dealing the #24 pick for Antonio Daniels

Manu Ginobili

Tony Parker

Luis Scola

Dealing the #26 pick for Speedy Claxton

Dealing the #28 pick for Nazr Mohammed

Beno Udrih

Tiago Splitter

George Hill

Dealing George Hill for Kawhi Leonard

Cory Joseph

etc.

All these guys were drafted later than where we are picking and all of them played meaningful minutes for the Spurs in some cases for many years and in other cases just for a season or two but they consistently got positive contributors who helped flesh out their rotation.  They were the masters at hitting way above the expected rate where many other teams were drafting Cal Bowdler, Dion Glover, Doug Edwards, Roy Marble, etc. types.

We don't need home runs but we need consistent additions of quality players on rookie contracts to help us navigate the cap challenges that lie ahead of us the next few years.  Rookies drafted where we should be drafting are cheap contributors when you draft useful players.

I know you're trying to be encouraging, but that post just makes me frustrated, if not angry. Why, why, why?!?

But/and... SAS figured out earlier than most that some Euros really were capable of making the jump. Old enough to remember a time when the whole idea of drafting a non-American was just not something anyone did. Ever.

But/and... if one wants to really  frustrate him/herself, go look up the Hawks' first-ever Euro draftee. What coulda been.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sturt said:

I know you're trying to be encouraging, but that post just makes me frustrated, if not angry. Why, why, why?!?

But/and... SAS figured out earlier than most that some Euros really were capable of making the jump. Old enough to remember a time when the whole idea of drafting a non-American was just not something anyone did. Ever.

But/and... if one wants to really  frustrate him/herself, go look up the Hawks' first-ever Euro draftee. What coulda been.

Popovich also felt back in the day that international players weren't as full of themselves as American born players who have grown up in the AAU racket, and because of this, they would fit better into his team oriented scheme.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, KB21 said:

Popovich also felt back in the day that international players weren't as full of themselves as American born players who have grown up in the AAU racket, and because of this, they would fit better into his team oriented scheme.  

Did AAU even exist back then??

• Premium Member
On 6/4/2023 at 8:04 AM, sturt said:

The big problem right now with mock drafts is that there is still so much anticipated movement set to occur beginning with Portland's #3. Until it becomes clear who's drafting where, the dominoes can fall in a variety of ways.

Well, at least TOR's situation seems to be coming into view... head coach hired, and FVV making his decision to opt out.

But still waiting on POR. Will they make a deal with NOP or not?

• Moderators
42 minutes ago, sturt said:

Between Bill Russell and the Euro draftee you mention, we were on the cusp of a couple of potential All-Time greats.  (Although "Euro" isn't quite right.)  Add in Dr. J for good measure on the "what could have been" list.

• Sad 1

• Premium Member
38 minutes ago, AHF said:

Between Bill Russell and the Euro draftee you mention, we were on the cusp of a couple of potential All-Time greats.  (Although "Euro" isn't quite right.)  Add in Dr. J for good measure on the "what could have been" list.

7ec5711194c00da041f986392b598a7d.gif

5 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Why are people high on this kid. I think now is the time when we see busts  that come out due to scouts looking for “skill” in a player. Skill is fine and dandy, I love skilled dude like Jokic (hot boy of the munf) but this kid is gonna get his a$$ kicked in the athletic and strength areas… I mean I’m looking at his style of play and he’s screaming to be posted up and dominated against on the defensive end.

Hello new age Dan Dickau. He wasn’t Stockton and this fool ain’t Giddy of OKC or anything.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Why are people high on this kid. I think now is the time when we see busts  that come out due to scouts looking for “skill” in a player. Skill is fine and dandy, I love skilled dude like Jokic (hot boy of the munf) but this kid is gonna get his a$$ kicked in the athletic and strength areas… I mean I’m looking at his style of play and he’s screaming to be posted up and dominated against on the defensive end.

Hello new age Dan Dickau. He wasn’t Stockton and this fool ain’t Giddy of OKC or anything.

He tests off the charts athletically.  His vertical was 39 inches.  

Ratings of note in Sam Vecenie’s top 100:

10.  Derek Lively

11.  Kobe Bufkin

12.  Bilal Coulibaly

13.  Leonard Miller

14.  Cason Wallace

15.   Jalen Hood-Schifino

16.  Grady d*ck

17.  Kris Murray

18.  Jordan Hawkins

19.  Brice Sensabaugh

20.  Dariq Whitehead