• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

With the #15 pick in the 2023 NBA Draft, the Hawks select.....

JayBirdHawk

• Moderators
1 hour ago, shakes said:

what are you talking about??   you posted a bunch of out of date mocks that had him as high as #6.  I posted mocks that were much closer to the actual draft and none of them had him as high as the 10 or so out of date links you posted.  The consensus link I posted from the day before the draft clearly show that no one had him as a lottery pick once it was time to actually draft which debunks all of your links since every one of them had him in teh lottery.

First, the consensus link you posted did have a mock with him in the lottery so that is just wrong.  (It is the CBS mock.)

Here are a string of consensus draft compilations since that you said were the most important.  These are being posted to show that at no time was  he considered a late teen projection.

https://www.nba.com/news/2021-consensus-mock-draft - #15 or #16 - NOT LATE TEENS

https://theathletic.com/2730267/2021/07/26/2021-nba-draft-consensus-big-board-the-top-85-players-ranked-from-cade-cunningham-to-oscar-de-silva/ #15 (July 26) - NOT LATE TEENS

https://www.sportingnews.com/in/nba/news/consensus-2021-nba-mock-draft-cade-cunningham-clear-pick-to-detroit-pistons-at-no-1/w1k7edwa53gd1knnty7g9tel5 #13 (June 24) - NOT LATE TEENS

https://therookiewire.usatoday.com/lists/2021-nba-mock-draft-consensus-4-top-prospects-draft-order/ - #12 (May 2021) - NOT LATE TEENS

That is 4 different consensus mock draft compilations leading to the actual draft. None of them had him in the late teens.  Two of them had him in the late lottery.  Two of them had him just after the lottery.  None of them predicted he would be on the board when we picked.

Note that my point in posting those was not to say that the consensus had him as a lottery pick right before the draft.  It was to rebut the ill founded claim that he was a late teens projection by the vast majority of the mocks.  That absolutely was not the case at any stage in the process.  There were a minority of projections that had him still in the lottery as of the draft (as in the link you posted) and a minority that had him going in the late teens.  But the consensus was at the end of or just after the end of the lottery. I didn't find a single mock that had him available at #20 although I'll certainly grant it is possible that one exists.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
43 minutes ago, AHF said:

First, the consensus link you posted did have a mock with him in the lottery so that is just wrong.  (It is the CBS mock.)

Here are a string of consensus draft compilations since that you said were the most important.  These are being posted to show that at no time was  he considered a late teen projection.

https://www.nba.com/news/2021-consensus-mock-draft - #15 or #16 - NOT LATE TEENS

https://theathletic.com/2730267/2021/07/26/2021-nba-draft-consensus-big-board-the-top-85-players-ranked-from-cade-cunningham-to-oscar-de-silva/ #15 (July 26) - NOT LATE TEENS

https://www.sportingnews.com/in/nba/news/consensus-2021-nba-mock-draft-cade-cunningham-clear-pick-to-detroit-pistons-at-no-1/w1k7edwa53gd1knnty7g9tel5 #13 (June 24) - NOT LATE TEENS

https://therookiewire.usatoday.com/lists/2021-nba-mock-draft-consensus-4-top-prospects-draft-order/ - #12 (May 2021) - NOT LATE TEENS

That is 4 different consensus mock draft compilations leading to the actual draft. None of them had him in the late teens.  Two of them had him in the late lottery.  Two of them had him just after the lottery.  None of them predicted he would be on the board when we picked.

Note that my point in posting those was not to say that the consensus had him as a lottery pick right before the draft.  It was to rebut the ill founded claim that he was a late teens projection by the vast majority of the mocks.  That absolutely was not the case at any stage in the process.  There were a minority of projections that had him still in the lottery as of the draft (as in the link you posted) and a minority that had him going in the late teens.  But the consensus was at the end of or just after the end of the lottery. I didn't find a single mock that had him available at #20 although I'll certainly grant it is possible that one exists.

lol I listed more than one mock that had him in the 20s.    As for the consensus links you posted, notice the date.  Notice how as each article gets closer to the draft his mock spots gets lower and lower.

And the ONE mock that still had him in the lottery was not THE CBS draft, it was ONE of the CBS drafts.   There were others by CBS in that same link that had him lower.

At the end of the day, you posted a bunch of early mocks taht had him being drafted around #10 as an average.  I supplied much later mocks where his average draft position was 19.2.  And he ended up getting drafted 20.   Which backs up my point that he didn't slip in the draft when we grabbed him at 20.

Are you going to reply by listing even more links to early obsolete mocks that had him much higher than he was drafted in the end?

• Moderators
58 minutes ago, shakes said:

lol I listed more than one mock that had him in the 20s.    As for the consensus links you posted, notice the date.  Notice how as each article gets closer to the draft his mock spots gets lower and lower.

And the ONE mock that still had him in the lottery was not THE CBS draft, it was ONE of the CBS drafts.   There were others by CBS in that same link that had him lower.

At the end of the day, you posted a bunch of early mocks taht had him being drafted around #10 as an average.  I supplied much later mocks where his average draft position was 19.2.  And he ended up getting drafted 20.   Which backs up my point that he didn't slip in the draft when we grabbed him at 20.

Are you going to reply by listing even more links to early obsolete mocks that had him much higher than he was drafted in the end?

This is changing the argument completely.  You cherrypicked a few mocks where his average draft position was 19.2 by ignoring mocks where he was higher.  The only "consensus" compilation you provided was one that had him at either #15 or #16.  

Are you now claiming that 19.2 was the average of every relevant mock draft out there?  I'll tell you right now that it isn't.  That claim is literally undermined by the "day before complilation" consensus you provided that had him at #15 or #16.

There is no time at which the overall average of his positions in all relevant mocks was 19.2.  As I showed you, his position among these more comprehensive complilations dropped from higher than #15-16 to an absolute low of #15-16.

• Premium Member
33 minutes ago, AHF said:

This is changing the argument completely.  You cherrypicked a few mocks where his average draft position was 19.2 by ignoring mocks where he was higher.  The only "consensus" compilation you provided was one that had him at either #15 or #16.  

Are you now claiming that 19.2 was the average of every relevant mock draft out there?  I'll tell you right now that it isn't.  That claim is literally undermined by the "day before complilation" consensus you provided that had him at #15 or #16.

There is no time at which the overall average of his positions in all relevant mocks was 19.2.  As I showed you, his position among these more comprehensive complilations dropped from higher than #15-16 to an absolute low of #15-16.

no, I'm putting more weight into the mocks that were closer to the actual draft whereas you are using any old mock including ones from a year before the draft when he was still considered a top 10 pick.

You think I'm being an idiot and I think you're being an idiot.

anyway this pissing match is stupid.  I'm out.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, shakes said:

no, I'm putting more weight into the mocks that were closer to the actual draft whereas you are using any old mock including ones from a year before the draft when he was still considered a top 10 pick.

You think I'm being an idiot and I think you're being an idiot.

anyway this pissing match is stupid.  I'm out.

This is not about time period.  There is literally no time close to the draft or otherwise where he was consensus mocked in the late teens like you claim.  The mocks you provided are outliers.

The data from the day before the draft contracts you as you know.    Even right before the draft there were a minority number of mocks that had him in the late teens or 20's and a minority number of mocks with him in the lottery.  Consensus was just outside of the lottery and not late teens.  See your consensus link from the day before which had him in the top 15 or top 16 picks (he was one of two people outside of the lottery mentioned but it was unclear whether they were ranked in order or just the top two).

I don't think you are an idiot.  I think you just made a claim that wasn't supported by data and are being stubborn about walking it back.  

The reason I pursued this is because it relates to the original post on this which was whether he had fallen in the draft or not.  He did and that was good fortune for us just like with AJ.

• Like 2

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I am really not feeling this class like that for us. I don't see a single player that makes sense short term at 15 and while I do see some long term guys, the ones with real potential will be gone by 15

any chance we trade up though?

21 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I am really not feeling this class like that for us. I don't see a single player that makes sense short term at 15 and while I do see some long term guys, the ones with real potential will be gone by 15

I agree with the lack of short term help, but I think there are a number of players with long term contribution potential this year. Like, there are a lot more players I’d be comfortable selecting at our pick than there usually are. No big superstars, but solid contributors with starter potential down the the road. 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

there's a huge drop off of talent in this draft once you get around #10 or #11.

Last year had a lot more depth in the teens than this draft.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, shakes said:

there's a huge drop off of talent in this draft once you get around #10 or #11.

Last year had a lot more depth in the teens than this draft.

So odd, I feel like for years this draft has been talked about as THE one that's super deep and people want picks for - saying things like the top few players in this draft would all go #1 in years prior, and you can find good talent all over the first round.

Wonder why the hype has died down, and if there really isn't an immediate impact player available, I hope we trade it away.

Or draft a long boi with potential, that's always fun.

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, akay said:

So odd, I feel like for years this draft has been talked about as THE one that's super deep and people want picks for - saying things like the top few players in this draft would all go #1 in years prior, and you can find good talent all over the first round.

Wonder why the hype has died down, and if there really isn't an immediate impact player available, I hope we trade it away.

Or draft a long boi with potential, that's always fun.

I never heard that hype.  also what's the value in someone hyping a draft years in advance?  What does that even mean?  that someone looked at a bunch of 15 year olds and declared a draft 3 years down the road as great?  That makes no logical sense.

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Another injured Duke Player perhaps???? Cam, JJ, AJ.....

Dariq was top 3 in his class as a recruit and was projected to be a top five pick after last year’s draft.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, macdaddy said:

any chance we trade up though?

Out more than up. We need vets we got a good amount of core young dudes like OO AJ JJ that need burn 🔥, if we spent assets moving up, that player would still likely need G league time. 

I say trade out. If not Hawkins.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Multiple players that make sense short term and long: lively, gradey, wallace, jett, maxwell, kris murray. The reality is whoever we take most likely isn't seeing the rotation short term anyways unless they consolidate trade some people. And we aren't exactly a contender yet so take BPA for long term to begin with. if they carve out a role great but thats not how you are supposed to draft when you aren't fully a contender. Also probably won't be picking at 15 anyways

• Like 1