• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

With the #15 pick in the 2023 NBA Draft, the Hawks select.....

JayBirdHawk

On 5/29/2023 at 6:41 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

For all you draft gurus, anything surprising from the draft combine measurements? Who's measurements surprised? Good or bad?

I didn’t know they got measured, I’m looking for a big heart 💜 that can’t be measured and a big d--- that can be measured. :unsure: #bigd---energy

A thick f---!

4 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

For all you draft gurus, anything surprising from the draft combine measurements? Who's measurements surprised? Good or bad?

I’m going to keep bringing him up, guaranteeing the Hawks won’t get him, but the guy Rupert I’m pulling for is 6’6” with a 7’3” wingspan. And he uses all that length for defending 1-3, perimeter, passing lanes…
One of the youngest guys in the draft, so he still has significant room for growth. With more bulk he’ll eventually be able to defend 1-4 like Supes drools over. 

• Thanks 1

The BSPN blatantly stole content from a certain HS poster for their draft coverage.  First this happens (nearly everyday):

image.png.d76d2dcd51626f4a186b91fe8a51513f.png

Supposedly they came up with this on their own:

image.png.206f8b70d70c7669cb625f3ca6c8d75e.png

When BSPN prints it, does that mean it's over?  Or do we have to wait for Who Says No the musical on broadway?  

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, bird_dirt said:

I’m going to keep bringing him up, guaranteeing the Hawks won’t get him, but the guy Rupert I’m pulling for is 6’6” with a 7’3” wingspan. And he uses all that length for defending 1-3, perimeter, passing lanes…
One of the youngest guys in the draft, so he still has significant room for growth. With more bulk he’ll eventually be able to defend 1-4 like Supes drools over. 

Can he shoot?

52 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Can he shoot?

Ok, not great, there’s room for improvement there. 
Good form, high release point. Growing into his body still. Still young (just turned 19). 
He’s what’s been said the Hawks are looking for. Defensive player (especially perimeter) who is ok enough offensive player that Trae will make better (plus time with strength and shooting coaches). He has handles and playmaking ability, providing more options on the court. 
I doubt he would contribute much his rookie year. May be like a JJ development situation, but hopefully with more development than what Nate provided. I TIQS though. 

• Premium Member

If we end up drafting at #15 after all, arguably, I couldn't be happier than to see this kid drop into our collective proverbial lap....

Doesn't appear Black's going to drop that far. I've seen no evidence anyone thinks he'll fall beyond 11 or 12.

Does appear, as I expected, that there'd be growing suspicion that Lively would get some serious consideration in the 10-15 range.

Those are the two other considerations.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

@NBASupes has relayed that his source believes Hawks FO sees no one at #15 who can impact the 23-24 season, and for that reason, the strong preference is to pair the pick with another player (a "vet" which has different meanings to different people) to gain a 23-24 impact player.

I believe Black or Wallace would get minutes if drafted and  if Aaron Holiday wouldn't be resigned. Both are good-to-very-good playmakers whose calling card is actually their exceptional defense.

I believe Lively would get minutes if drafted and if, as some are anticipating, Yeka is going to get some decent PF minutes for the first time in his career.

But imo what we really need... and what we can't get at #15... is a wing whose perimeter defense is exceptional and who could get any impact minutes.

(Thus... I arrive at this conclusion... a wing whose perimeter defense, and for that matter, defense overall, is exceptional, and who undoubtedly would get many impact minutes.)

• Like 3

I continue to believe that the Hawks should draft Dereck Lively @15 if he's still there.

Seems other NBA teams have discovered him and he will probably be gone by the Hawks turn.  If he's still there, I then fear that they will not draft him.  I'm a loser either way.  I'll still hope until there remains no hope.  He's my choice.

💯

Edited by Gray Mule
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

I continue to believe that the Hawks should draft Dereck Lively @15 if he's still there.

Climbing fast 💨 Now they are saying he’s a top 10 pick. Dang that’s tough because we really could use a stretch 5 like him that does the dirty things in the lane too! Those are rare.

Trade up? (Not trading with the Mavs at 10).

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Climbing fast 💨 Now they are saying he’s a top 10 pick. Dang that’s tough because we really could use a stretch 5 like him that does the dirty things in the lane too! Those are rare.

Trade up? (Not trading with the Mavs at 10).

If I’m trading up, it’s for Jarace Walker or Tyler Hendricks.  

• Like 1

On 5/27/2023 at 12:28 AM, JayBirdHawk said:

Now that he’s proving (to an extent)…that he can shoot. He’s head and shoulders our best pick at 15 if he’s there.

Now Lively is looking like a true top prospect. Tall, lengthy, defense, boards, and can spread the floor.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

The big problem right now with mock drafts is that there is still so much anticipated movement set to occur beginning with Portland's #3. Until it becomes clear who's drafting where, the dominoes can fall in a variety of ways.

Lively's situation is among those most affected since the number of teams with both the need and the inclination to take someone with his size and lack of real game minutes is so limited.