• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

With the #15 pick in the 2023 NBA Draft, the Hawks select.....

JayBirdHawk

6 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Intrigued heavily by Derek Lively. Does he remind anyone of a Joakim Noah type by any chance?

I like him and like 3 shooting guards a ton.

I like him as well and would not be mad at all if we took him. 

I don't get a Joakim Noah vibe from him personally.... other than the big hair he doesn't scream "REEFSMOKER" to me. 

OH - you mean his game.... ya blocking shots and rebounding ok I can pick up what you're putting down. 

• Haha 3

• Premium Member
On 5/2/2023 at 11:59 AM, thecampster said:

I think you can trade down a bit and score Dereck Lively.

On 5/2/2023 at 2:44 PM, Diesel said:

They say that now but this draft is not loaded like last years... He'll be in the teens. You don't easily pass over 7 foot rim protectors. 

As always, a lot gets clearer after the lottery actually occurs, and we learn how the draft order impacts who goes when.

For now, I've seen Lively go as early in a mock draft as #13 and as late as #28, and most seeming to have him in the #17-#21 range.

• Premium Member
On 5/2/2023 at 11:38 PM, Diesel said:

I doubt we are able to keep AHoli

Felt the same way, but then you watch his exit interview, and he sounds like a guy who is expecting to be back, and you know how highly Quin spoke of him (even if he didn't play him consistently)... and that he didn't produce eye-popping stats might keep the interest level of competition in check.

On 5/2/2023 at 11:38 PM, Diesel said:

and if a 6'6" BU PG is available...  Think of the defense.

We're tracking the same on that.

If Andrew Black falls all the way to #15... and folks, don't laugh, AJ was routinely mocked in the same 6-10 territory that Black is... think you have to pounce on that instead of Lively. The defense he can give you on the perimeter on Day 1, combined with his playmaking is strong. Now, he might end up just being a new era's Michael Carter-Williams, but for what you need in 2023-24, that's not a bad thing. But sure, the one question mark for him is 3pt%, and you'd really love to find he can find his stroke working with Kyle. And indeed, it's that one question mark that conceivably could send him falling on draft boards that night, and into our proverbial lap.

Failing Black falling, I'm firmly in the Lively camp.

But what if both Black and  Lively end up getting picked ahead of #15?

I'm leaning toward another PG, and arguably the best all-around pure PG in the draft... Cason Wallace out of UK.

So, my priority list is:

1) Take offers on #15, ostensibly using the $6m exception from the JDay trade to obtain an asset that immediately improves your 2023-24 rotation w/o question.

2) Andrew Black

3) Dereck Lively III

4) Cason Wallace

• Premium Member

“Miami power forward Norchad Omier, testing NBA waters, getting feet wet,” tweeted Michelle Kaufman of the Miami Herald on May 5. “Worked out for Boston, has Atlanta on Tuesday, Detroit Pistons Wednesday, NBA GLeague Elite Camp May 13-14 in Chicago. Top performers get invited to NBA Combine.”

• Thanks 2

As a Duke fan there haven’t been many players that frustrated me as much as Lively thru my fandom. He’s so unnoticeable most games. You literally forget he’s there. He had a few games that showed what’s possible for him but outside of that he was one of the most worthless players in all of America. I really don’t wanna see him in Atlanta and just relive that frustration all over again 

• Thanks 3

11 hours ago, jy23 said:

As a Duke fan there haven’t been many players that frustrated me as much as Lively thru my fandom. He’s so unnoticeable most games. You literally forget he’s there. He had a few games that showed what’s possible for him but outside of that he was one of the most worthless players in all of America. I really don’t wanna see him in Atlanta and just relive that frustration all over again 

Thank  you for sharing.... I personally dislike Duke (same reason I hate all BOS sports, NY Sports, the Dodgers, etc.. -- f*** the rich).... I just like taking their highly recruited talent after Duke kills their draft stock. 

Can you elaborate on what was frustrating about watching Lively? I think many of us would like to know, since a lot of us have tossed his name out there. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
50 minutes ago, JTB said:

I’m impressed 

Jury is still out whether he's NBA material, but this kid has worked his butt off over the years to round-out his game. He came to Dan D'Antoni with those hops, but no one really recruited him, ostensibly b/c that's all he could do... jump out of the building. Great humility about Taevion. Right balance between chip on his shoulder, and at the same time, good self-awareness about who he is. Much respect.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I'm assuming not for #15

If it’s for pick #46, can we get the human slug 🐌 Zach Edey from Purdue to come in. Same folks that love Jock Landale with love this dude too, not because of any similarities in their game but because they are both white. #squawkagenda #landalesux :saythat:

Dude is 7’4” like 300 pounds, maybe he can stand there and be a wall for Trae. 🤷‍♀️ 

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
On 5/6/2023 at 2:36 PM, warcore said:

I like him as well and would not be mad at all if we took him. 

I don't get a Joakim Noah vibe from him personally.... other than the big hair he doesn't scream "REEFSMOKER" to me. 

OH - you mean his game.... ya blocking shots and rebounding ok I can pick up what you're putting down. 

The other standout skill for Noah, imo, was his exceptional passing ability for a big.

• Thanks 2

@warcore for some reason I couldn’t quote you but anywho…he’s a very forgettable player. He was ranked as the number 1 player in the country and there was no point during the season that I ever felt he was remotely close to that. He has no offensive skill whatsoever and isn’t even active on that side of the floor, no hustle no nothing so it literally becomes 4 on 5 on that end. Now he does give you something on defense but that’s only when he feels like it. He literally has games where I forgot he was on the team. He’s up and down with his effort and energy and that’s literally all he is as a player bc he doesn’t have any skills to speak of so how he decides to not play hard every night literally boggles my mind 

• Thanks 1