• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

8 hours ago, NBASupes said:

DJ doesn't have marginal trade value. He has a lot of trade value. It's just that Masai has Siakam trade value as insanely high as well. 

Why won’t GMs tell Masai to kick rocks?  Put him out in the cold all alone.  Make him change or ignore him…

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I'd counter by asking you, sir, to name a player that had most of his family be non-US citizens who have settled in Canadia (eh, they're not Canadans).  Thus having a very real potential issue getting everyone to the US full-time.  And have a very real impetus to want to stay in Canadia.

What say you, sir? 

🤓

Question to deflect this back to you.  Name a professional athlete making more than $30M that had to leave the US due to immigration issues.  
I would think the tax savings on a $40M annual contract in the US would cover any challenges with immigration.  

38 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Now that I've had time to digest.....This doesn't make any sense for Portland on several fronts:

1. Siakam is still a flight risk

2. So even if they are able to resign him, they'll still have Jerami Grant (yes I know they can try and trade him) another PF...so that's 2. Also they'll tell their fan base they're gonna max Siakam???

3. Then they'll also want JJ another PF....so that's 3

4. If Siakam doesn't resign, they've traded Dame for a package surrounding JJ and the 2024 SAC 1st????

5. So if no Siakam resigning, this deal for Dame is headlined by a young JJ???? 

Make this make sense.

1. Not really is what I was told. He would obviously prefer to stay in TOR but there isn't mutual interest in a massive deal from TOR end. 

2. Grant has trade value and that was always to plan to get him paid and trade him at the deadline. He just wanted to get paid first and Portland wanted to recoup some assets. 

3. Grant can play the 3. JJ isn't a starting piece to anyone right now. 

4. Siakam is not a flight risk for them, as he is for us. That's what makes me think he might not want to play with Trae because he wasn't chirping when Toronto felt they were near a trade with Portland.

5. He's not a flight risk for them. He is for us. 

5 hours ago, Sothron said:

I have to repeat as best I can what my Twolf source said:

Toronto is a totally unique NBA situation. They literally represent the entire country of Canada. Their fanbase in particular is RABID and so highly overrate their own players that it frankly scares the &*@# out of their FO and ownership. Trading a big name like Siakam is like trading a star player nowhere else in the NBA.

So Siakam is sort of like basketball's Bret Hart. Sorta.

Edited by Plainview1981
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

We have an engine with Trae that can function at a high level.  We have a ton of quality rookie scale contracts: OO, Bey, AJ, JJ, Bufkin, and MoGee(Gueye).  Now we even have guys like Bruno, Tyrese, Garry Bird, Garuba, TyTy.  No one wants to trade any of these guys or sees any risk in betting on developing youth only as our path to being a contender? 

You can't trade for Giannis or Jokic.  Those guys are never available.  You can only trade for guys that are available for a reason.  Miami traded for Butler when he was seen as a team cancer.  Since you can't acquire a star with no flaws, you have to look at making a compromise.  We have a lot of youth to develop at the moment.  Perhaps we could let a portion of it go for someone that possibly brings us into top 4 in the East status.

Either way we are taking a risk. Developing youth only or trading for a somewhat flawed star.  I would say we could make a trade and still have some quality promising young players left at a variety of levels and positions.  

I get that there's risk either way.  I'm just saying that with the new CBA, you HAVE to stay away from that 2nd apron because of all the restrictions they put on teams that go over it.  So with that in mind, it may not (I haven't studied it in depth) make sense to have 3 players on the roster that are on max or near max deals.  Trading young, cheap talent for older more expensive talent may not be a great strategy.  Especially when we already have several contracts that are reasonably large (Clint, Hunter, Bogie, DJM) and several others that need to be extended (OO, Bey).  I'm not opposed to JB or PS, I'd just prefer to trade from the already high dollar players we have rather than from the cheap players.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
59 minutes ago, ShooterSays said:

I’m lost why Toronto would be part of this

That was going to be my next point. PTL doesn't want JB so he's rerouted to the Hawks, Hawks send PTL stuff.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

That was going to be my next point. PTL doesn't want JB so he's rerouted to the Hawks, Hawks send PTL stuff.

Portland wants JB. JB don't want Portland. Either supermax or homecoming 

• Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Sothron said:

Just to toss this in:

@NBASupes proposed trade is close to what I heard and was told not to repeat. Now that the cat is out of the bag ( and I can provide receipts for a source if need be ) I can confirm it. 

My extra toss in:

We've basically committed too much into a major trade at this point not to complete one. Either Jalen Brown or Siakam coming here. 

Don’t be shy Toss the receipts 

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

I get that there's risk either way.  I'm just saying that with the new CBA, you HAVE to stay away from that 2nd apron because of all the restrictions they put on teams that go over it.  So with that in mind, it may not (I haven't studied it in depth) make sense to have 3 players on the roster that are on max or near max deals.  Trading young, cheap talent for older more expensive talent may not be a great strategy.  Especially when we already have several contracts that are reasonably large (Clint, Hunter, Bogie, DJM) and several others that need to be extended (OO, Bey).  I'm not opposed to JB or PS, I'd just prefer to trade from the already high dollar players we have rather than from the cheap players.  

I practically don't understand how you pay 3 guys the max and field a competitive roster, but most likely you move off of one of those guys at some point before the contracts are up.  Dang Phoenix is paying FOUR max deals, and they were one of the cheapest ownership groups in the NBA.  

If Tony pays for us to go into the 2nd apron, it shows that he's being aggressive in ways that we've wanted.  Spending to win.  Haven't studied the new CBA enough to have a solid opinion, but bringing in JB would be pretty killer to me.  We would have two guys to really be the face of the team for a long run.  

31 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Question to deflect this back to you.  Name a professional athlete making more than $30M that had to leave the US due to immigration issues.  
I would think the tax savings on a $40M annual contract in the US would cover any challenges with immigration.  

Ooh, I love table tennis 🏓 

But I'm thinking the 'challenges' are simply the family not being there and having uncertainty of when they could come.  We can scoff at it or suggest the money makes that part easier, but it kinda doesn't.  IIUC, the process (of getting them over permanently) is daunting regardless of money/status.  I'm sure the organization would assist, but they're still at the mercy of the process. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ShooterSays said:

This part makes sense. 

Toronto somehow inserting themselves into what looks like a 3 team trade doesn’t.

Siakam doesn’t fit their timeline without Dame.

They are trying to compete for the playoffs and develop their young players. Something you see going on around the league. No teams want to flat out tank anymore. No one wants to be Houston, not even Houston 

1 minute ago, kg01 said:

Ooh, I love table tennis 🏓 

But I'm thinking the 'challenges' are simply the family not being there and having uncertainty of when they could come.  We can scoff at it or suggest the money makes that part easier, but it kinda doesn't.  IIUC, the process (of getting them over permanently) is daunting regardless of money/status.  I'm sure the organization would assist, but they're still at the mercy of the process. 

This but I don't know if this is a ploy by Siakam to avoid Atlanta. None of this was out when Portland and Toronto was talking on deals. 

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, Hawkish said:

Murray and Hunter to TOR 

Siakam, JJ, and Horford plus 2024 1st (ATL likely SAC) to POR

Lillard to BOS

J. Brown and Nurkic to ATL

This is a no brainer to get all-NBA talent here.  We keep OO, AJ, and the rest of the guys in our development program.  I'll be sad to see JJ leave and it does give us a hole at PF, but for only 1 draft asset and one young (talented but unproven) player, it makes too much sense.  JB will help with our perimeter defense too.  Bogi can take the starting role for the time being -- hopefully Kobe develops into that role in the next couple years.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

They are trying to compete for the playoffs and develop their young players. Something you see going on around the league. No teams want to flat out tank anymore. No one wants to be Houston, not even Houston 

If they couldn’t make the playoffs with Dame, they’re certainly not going to make the playoffs without him and with a rookie PG and Siakam.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, ShooterSays said:

If they couldn’t make the playoffs with Dame, they’re certainly not going to make the playoffs without him and with a rookie PG and Siakam.

I don't think they will either.