• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

10 hours ago, givemesome1ce1 said:

People want to win now? I’m sorry but this team isn’t ready to win now. It’s not gonna be ready to win now for at least a year, maybe even two. Too many problems with this team exist right now that are gonna take a while to solve. It makes perfect sense to try and develop now when we have the chance. The only question is whether DJ and Trae want to wait for that to happen.

Since 1968...

• Like 2

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I think the focus is simply on the wrong person.

You're asking a player to potentially give back 60 - 100 million in earnings for the "good of the team", but the dang BILLIONAIRE owner can't spend a few million in Luxury Tax also for the "good of the team"?

Not saying this is you, but fans in general tend to be jealous of the amount of money these players are making, while giving the billionaire owner a pass because he feels some type of way about spending money into the Luxury Tax.

It would be like asking a regular person to only work a certain number of hours a week and cap their earning potential, so that the business owner doesn't have to pay extra taxes.  It's backwards thinking.  But that's just my opinion.

So while it may be good that DJ takes a 4/120 deal, I'm not going to celebrate it because it should be the OWNER that should be taking the hit . . . not the employee that's helping you make that money.

I think Ressler will be in the cross hairs if DM signs the extension, and Ressler comes back next season with a team that is even younger than last year and stays out of the tax.  But I'm not going to stop myself from heaping some praise on DM in the meantime.  I'll just be harsher on Ressler.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, AHF said:

I think Ressler will be in the cross hairs if DM signs the extension, and Ressler comes back next season with a team that is even younger than last year and stays out of the tax.  But I'm not going to stop myself from heaping some praise on DM in the meantime.  I'll just be harsher on Ressler.

Agreed, I just pray we don't do Murray like we did Heurter after he signed a team friendly extension.  I am much more confident Ressler will go into the tax after reading the new CBA.  It's not as penalizing and it's not a complete rat race to outspend other spendy owners, as you quickly reach an effective hard cap.  

• Moderators
1 minute ago, JeffS17 said:

Agreed, I just pray we don't do Murray like we did Heurter after he signed a team friendly extension.  I am much more confident Ressler will go into the tax after reading the new CBA.  It's not as penalizing and it's not a complete rat race to outspend other spendy owners, as you quickly reach an effective hard cap.  

I don't think we "did Huerter" anything wrong.  He signed a market deal that ended up being arguably a better deal for the team that the ones signed by JC, Hunter, Bogi, etc.  but I don't think it was a big sacrifice that Huerter made with a promise that the team wouldn't move him or anything.  I disliked the Huerter trade for a variety of reasons (including that I think we could have gotten a better return at the trade deadline even if we wanted to make sure we traded him to avoid the tax) but I don't view it as a personal betrayal of his sacrifice or anything.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Hawkish said:

I suppose another way to look at it is JJ + what we could do with $45M versus just Siakam.

As of right now the only thing we can spend that kind of money on is resigning our own guys.

We don’t have an extra 45 mil sitting on our hands if we want to improve this roster via talent from the outside. It has to be through a trade, and because we barely have draft picks and are over the cap with a full roster,  it will likely include players from our current rotation.

We can sit back and watch our guys grow but we will still be over the cap and eventually luxury tax again after extending our own players next offseason.

We have to roll the dice on our assets now. Either by trusting AJ/JJ and others to step up by trading the vets in front of them or selling high on their potential NOW before they become a proven commodity with lesser value for significant return a la Kev/Cam/JC. 

That’s the reality of where we are. We have 9 core guys left worth enough money to put us above the luxury tax apron next offseason.

We were 41-41. How long do we wait before we cash in potential for actual?

• Like 1

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, AHF said:

I don't think we "did Huerter" anything wrong.  He signed a market deal that ended up being arguably a better deal for the team that the ones signed by JC, Hunter, Bogi, etc.  but I don't think it was a big sacrifice that Huerter made with a promise that the team wouldn't move him or anything.  I disliked the Huerter trade for a variety of reasons (including that I think we could have gotten a better return at the trade deadline even if we wanted to make sure we traded him to avoid the tax) but I don't view it as a personal betrayal of his sacrifice or anything.

Maybe I just saw it as a team friendly discount (albeit not a huge one like this Murray talk), but Heurter was clearly operating under the assumption he was going to be a Hawk long term.  Now, I don't know what conversations he did or didn't have with our front office, but I do know he was very surprised to be traded and part of the reason we were able to get a first back for him is because of his deal being a good one.

4 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

So is Tatum trying to throw JB out the house? lol

And folks we have our Knicks moment from the Murray trade: 

Masai is getting desperate.  Love it 

Enjoy your LAC poo poo platter of a return.

4 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

LOL . . the media is getting silly now.

I wonder how everyone would take this tweet, if he said that Jaylen Brown was trying to figure out a way to get Lillard to Boston.

Comon let Brown find his way home ATL!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1