• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

40 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Update

Hawks are still working on the secondary framework and the 3rd and potentially 4th team in a KAT to Atlanta deal. There has been some reluctance from an owner with Minnesota but their GM is strongly pushing for a trade right now as his value at its assumed peak. 

Teams see KAT like LA Blake Griffin right as he was traded to Detroit. The belief is, he has an all star or two seasons in him but many expect a steep decline with the new contract being a massive overpay. That's why there has been just two teams and of course, the two desperate to get better fast teams in the market for him which was Dallas and now currently Atlanta. 

He says Atlanta is also still talking with Toronto about Siakam but they are still really far from a trade. As I said, Siakam is Atlanta top target by a mile. 

Could we end this week with no trades, possibly but Atlanta is close on KAT. There is just secondary parts that aren't so easy to solve and JJ is NOT in the deal, Minnesota wants him in the deal and that might be causing some issues as well.

Still, I expect this to get done sooner than later or not at all. Also, I said two 1sts previously, I was wrong, they are still negotiating that but Minnesota wants two 1sts which they did get from Dallas before Atlanta out bidded them overall with Bey who Minnesota highly coveted. 

The key pieces are done, just the other pieces and 3rd parties are not for now. 

Nothing new aside from that. This isn't the done deal I thought it was yesterday but they aren't far either. 

I know this may seem silly to some on here, but I'd rather Keep AJ, JJ and OO than lose one or more of them to get KAT or Siakim..  KAT's Production is in decline and he is not a good defender.  Toronto is asking too much for Siakam and, true or not, his agent says he will not re-sign with any team that trades for him. P!us, Siakam is expecting too big of a paycheck. I do think we need some more talent, but I'd rather find it by trading Capela, Bey,and/or Hunter.  That's my two cents worth.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

NBASupes:   I get the idea that they want to trade KAT to Atlanta.  Our GM and his assistants will not bow down and take just any offer in order to get KAT.  They want to deal.  Hawks want to deal.  Hawks refuse to give away the present Hawk team.  

One side makes an offer.  The other side makes a counter-offer.  Hawks GM is stubborn.  We don't have to do the deal.  The longer this goes on, the harder KAT's team will try.  Just as long as another team doesn't swoop in with a big offer, I believe we will get the deal done and I don't think that they will rob us.  Correct me if I'm wrong....

:smug:

Well, there is nothing wrong with standing pat and keep our assets but we need to add some size and defense on the frontcourt if we want to compete.

Trae/Bufkin/Tyty

DJM/Bogi/Aj
Hunter/Bey

is ok, but

JJ/Garuba/Gueye

Capela/OO/ Bruno

is not good, is not a good fit and will get destroyed on the playoffs, we need to improve it with a PF with size and defense and a stretch 5.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, gurpilo said:

Well, there is nothing wrong with standing pat and keep our assets but we need to add some size and defense on the frontcourt if we want to compete.

Trae/Bufkin/Tyty

DJM/Bogi/Aj
Hunter/Bey

is ok, but

JJ/Garuba/Gueye

Capela/OO/ Bruno

is not good, is not a good fit and will get destroyed on the playoffs, we need to improve it with a PF with size and defense and a stretch 5.

Nawl...

We have some size.. it just needs to be developed.   Capela has never had trouble with bigs.   I have seen him give Jokic and Embiid work.    We just need Quin to put together a good gameplan...  stop sending CC out to switch.   You don't make your best rebounder switch on the three point line. 

I would Dikembe Mutombo CC... and have him back waiting..  and you can decide to switch everybody else. 

• Like 1

We are undersized at PF and C, our 2 best frontcourt players do not fit, OO and Capela, thy cannot share the court, JJ has no experience starting, Bruno and Garuba did not see the court on Houston, Gueye is 2nd rounder…..We have no stretch 4 or 5.

If you think we are good to go to the playoff with this frontcourt you are wrong.

• Like 1

We aren't taking KAT's supermax contract. We aren't paying him 35% of our cap. The new CBA is extremely punitive to big spenders. He could easily end up having one of the worst contracts in the NBA if he continues down his road of injuries and declining play. 

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

No, there probably won't be a trade. And everyone will just pretend the whole insider KAT thing never happened. I've been on the Squawk for many years, this is how it works. 

Would you agree that for everyone player out there who is discussed by his GM, only a small % of those discussions actually result in a trade?  

I agree with you that I would bet against the KAT trade happening.  I just don't see that as a reason to "pretend the whole insider KAT thing never happened."  Like we heard from the insiders on this thread that Atlanta was interested in Siakam.  That was confirmed by reports in the broader media.  Just because a trade doesn't happen isn't grounds for indicting insiders who said the discussions were happening.

I think at best you can blame them for being overly optimistic that discussion would translate into an actual trade but I see that all the time regardless of the source of a report.  Few trades of big players are made.  Many more discussions take place and are shared by the media and other sources that never result in a trade or take a long time to turn into an actionable trade (see John Collins).

• Like 3

Forget KAT Siakam and PG13..

we need this man!

Zion Williamson available "for the right situation"

i_f4_e8_4e_zion-williamson.png?w=190

Jake Madison: Chris Haynes says on the broadcast that “over the last 3, 4 months talking to league executives around the league it was made clear that Zion Williamson could be made available for the right situation and the right package” “Not saying he was clearly available but Zion can be had”

via TwitterNOLAJake

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, RedDawg#8 said:

It a money thing for them. 3 big contracts long term. They want to keep KAT and move Gobert, but nobody wants Gobert, allegedly.

They don’t want to pay all 3 after what they saw last season.

I hate when people only hear what they want to hear.

There are tons of teams that would love Gobert on the roster. 

What there is not, is a plethora of teams who a) want Gobert at $41 million or 2) have the space for Gobert at $41 million. 3) would give Minny back anything close to what Minny gave up to get him.

If we could flip Cap + Gay and $15 million in players worth of cap space for Gobert, we'd do it...no questions asked but Minnesota can't give Gobert away when they sold the ranch to get him.  The T-Wolves gave up the following in the Gobert deal

• Walker Kessler (No. 22 pick in 2022 Draft)
• 2023 first-round pick
• 2025 first-round pick
• 2026 pick swap
• 2027 first-round pick
• 2029 first-round pick

That's 5 out of 8 first round picks and a pick swap.  If they turn around the following year and trade him for peanuts, they'd get roasted. Its not people don't want him or they wouldn't trade him...its that there is no way to swing it. They are now ride or die with him because they did a dumb.

see below

image.png.baa7f125cf44a0c3ed66a581814f42dd.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

We aren't taking KAT's supermax contract. We aren't paying him 35% of our cap. The new CBA is extremely punitive to big spenders. He could easily end up having one of the worst contracts in the NBA if he continues down his road of injuries and declining play. 

Just as an aside, I do think his declining play was very much akin to JC where JC had injury and suffered from playing next to Capela.  He and Gobert did not pair well and given Gobert's offensive limitations it took away some of KAT's best scoring so that Gobert could stand near the basket as much as possible.

• Like 2

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, thecampster said:

I hate when people only hear what they want to hear.

There are tons of teams that would love Gobert on the roster. 

What there is not, is a plethora of teams who a) want Gobert at $41 million or 2) have the space for Gobert at $41 million. 3) would give Minny back anything close to what Minny gave up to get him.

If we could flip Cap + Gay and $15 million in players worth of cap space for Gobert, we'd do it...no questions asked but Minnesota can't give Gobert away when they sold the ranch to get him.  The T-Wolves gave up the following in the Gobert deal

• Walker Kessler (No. 22 pick in 2022 Draft)
• 2023 first-round pick
• 2025 first-round pick
• 2026 pick swap
• 2027 first-round pick
• 2029 first-round pick

That's 5 out of 8 first round picks and a pick swap.  If they turn around the following year and trade him for peanuts, they'd get roasted. Its not people don't want him or they wouldn't trade him...its that there is no way to swing it. They are now ride or die with him because they did a dumb.

see below

image.png.baa7f125cf44a0c3ed66a581814f42dd.png

Won't argue with that but that is very much a sunk cost fallacy mistake on their part.  Once you've done a transaction, you should base moves on what makes the most sense going forward.  But I agree the practical reality is that the same GM can't reverse direction that quickly or he will lose all credibility (which is what locks them into a sunk cost fallacy as their standard operating procedure right now).

In other words, I think Minnesota has an increased risk of pulling another stupid as a result of riding or dying with their last stupid.

• Like 3