• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

7 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Yeah, but I'd only really be happy if we landed Siakam or JB because both of those guys wouldn't be 35% maxes, and both of them stay healthy and would fit well into the roster.  I agree with your sentiment on KAT, and in addition to injury risk, massive drain on cap space, he doesn't fit as well as the other two.  We become really pigeon holed at every other position because Trae+KAT has to be two of the worse defenders at their positions in the NBA.  So making a deal for KAT before giving Snyder time with the roster feels really rushed and could hamstring our top 5 coach's ability to get us to the next level

The health part is so crucial. Siakam has been insanely available for enough seasons and available for a lot of minutes.

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

Siakam has been insanely available for enough seasons

That’s one of the main reason I like him too. His body, like Jaylen can handle minutes, others seem to fold, these two have been solid thus far.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

Yes, but it would be nice if we could bring in at least just one new player of consequence, even if we can't get one of the big fish. 

We just did this!  Patty Mill is now a Hawk!  One new player of consequence is here!  Before someone chokes himself over this thought, remember, sometimes the small move can become that move that made the difference.

I sincerely hope he stays in Atlanta.  The Hawks needed  a veteran voice in the locker room.  He qualifies.  With the need of a back-up PG after Aaron Holiday left, he qualifies.  With a need of another player who can come in and hit a three pointer, he qualifies.

Hawks traded three for one to get him.  Saved a lot of $$$ payroll.  Another great GM move!

:smug:

Edited by Gray Mule
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Yeah, but I'd only really be happy if we landed Siakam or JB because both of those guys wouldn't be 35% maxes, and both of them stay healthy and would fit well into the roster.  I agree with your sentiment on KAT, and in addition to injury risk, massive drain on cap space, he doesn't fit as well as the other two.  We become really pigeon holed at every other position because Trae+KAT has to be two of the worse defenders at their positions in the NBA.  So making a deal for KAT before giving Snyder time with the roster feels really rushed and could hamstring our top 5 coach's ability to get us to the next level

17 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

That’s one of the main reason I like him too. His body, like Jaylen can handle minutes, others seem to fold, these two have been solid thus far.

Jaylen Brown has fit issues too and would cost a 30% max plus more assets to get him than KAT. Wouldn't Murray need to be included in a JB trade?  If you're trading Hunter in the deal who is your SF? You might have to give up JJ and AJ.

How does Jaylen maximize Trae? People talk about KAT's defense, but Jaylen's has been bad too.  

Trae plays through his big men and KAT can get his own shot and pairs well with OO on the offensive side.  KAT maximizes what Trae does.  

I'm actually more opposed to Jaylen Brown than Pascal or KAT. 

What injury history has KAT had other than last year? He missed time before due to Covid to my knowledge. 

image.thumb.png.6ea9222ddec711608f321d9dabbe387e.png

Edited by marco102

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

FYI the beat writer for the Wolves keeps throwing water on any sort of trade.. Seems he keep mentioning their plans to "run it back". Thought that pretty interesting in contrast to the overtures some fans on Hawksquawk keep pushing.

https://talknorth.com/krawczynski/

Even though we some creative ideas on this white board of a site, I believe that the KAT trade talk is just fan fiction similar to RealGM type posts.

I have no doubts trades have been discussed and framed, but the seriousness of those talks (from our side and theirs) and the actual commitment from our FO is what I question.  It's makes a lot of sense for the front office to want everyone believing that we truly value KAT a lot.  It gives us more leverage if the perception is we aren't going to overpay for Siakam/Brown because we have another great option ready to be inked.  My guess is that's truly what's happening here, and it gives me confidence in this front offices approach because Schlenk felt almost TOO transparent with all parties.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
48 minutes ago, marco102 said:

What injury history has KAT had other than last year? He missed time before due to Covid to my knowledge. 

He's had issues with his wrist, had a tailbone injury, and inflammation in his right knee.  The right knee is problematic imo because that's the leg he strained his calf in.  And same leg injuries like that on big guys like KAT can quickly become chronic issues.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

I have no doubts trades have been discussed and framed, but the seriousness of those talks (from our side and theirs) and the actual commitment from our FO is what I question.  It's makes a lot of sense for the front office to want everyone believing that we truly value KAT a lot.  It gives us more leverage if the perception is we aren't going to overpay for Siakam/Brown because we have another great option ready to be inked.  My guess is that's truly what's happening here, and it gives me confidence in this front offices approach because Schlenk felt almost TOO transparent with all parties.

Nah, not at all. I think the Hawks *could have* called the Wolves and the Wolves said we aren't trading KAT right now, Thanks for the call. And who knows if that call was made at all. There is literally no reference to that.

If the Hawks wanted leverage on other players in the league, this is certainly the strangest and most unbelievable way to go about that lol.

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

Nah, not at all. I think the Hawks *could have* called the Wolves and the Wolves said we aren't trading KAT right now, Thanks for the call. And who knows if that call was made at all. There is literally no reference to that.

If the Hawks wanted leverage on other players in the league, this is certainly the strangest and most unbelievable way to go about that lol.

Just because it hasn't been released to beat writers doesn't mean the framework isn't there.  At a minimum, just understanding value of our players and having options on team direction is reason enough to have talks and establish a framework -- that part is completely believable imo.  There is no way our insiders or their contacts would have a true gauge on how serious Landry is pulling the trigger on that trade, though.  And like always, basic logic and reasoning will always prevail when assessing stuff like this, assuming you believe in the competency of the front office.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, ShooterSays said:

You wouldn’t trade OO and AJ for a top 10 player in the league? That’s wild bro.

There must be a consensus on that.   JB can't shoot.  He's not top 10. 

5 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Succes for next season - yes.

Love, love, love that we were able to extend DJM, but I'd be disappointed if our offeason ended with JC for Patty Mills and a huge TPE..... just saying.

Yeah we have to do something else besides that besides if the only thing you got from the offseason is BU PG and exception, that doesn't bore confidence in our future.

I don’t see Minn giving up on their experiment this early similar to the Hawks with Trae and DJM. And I don’t see any other way to put this team into contention other than getting Siakam. It would be a bit disappointing seeing us going into the season 8 million under the cap and not making any significant improvements. But if the right deal isn’t there than all we can hope for is some monumental improvement from the young players.

• Like 2

Hurry up and wait!  If I understand correctly that great big $$$ (Whatever you call it) that we got when we traded JC is good for one calendar year.  This means we don't have to use it any time soon.  It's just as good at the trade deadline as it is today.

What if we go into the season with what we have today?  Give Quin Snyder and all his new assistant coaches the opportunity to play these guys together.  Check out the chemestry.  Check out the fit.  Hawks will finish the Summer League.  Hawks will then have the pre season.

Finally, the beginning of the season!  Will all these high priced players be ready, willing and able to go!  Or, will there still be questions about them and their future?

If Atlanta does nothing else, I'm excited to see our new team and the regular season !!

• Like 2

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, timebomb said:

It would be a bit disappointing seeing us going into the season 8 million under the cap and not making any significant improvements. But if the right deal isn’t there than all we can hope for is some monumental improvement from the young players.

Its called smart roster management.  They have 2 more extensions coming up to ponder and still a few more roster moves to accommodate those extensions.  If the team was close like Boston, different story but they aren't.  They are still  in roster building mode which means you wait for the right moment to go all in.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Succes for next season - yes.

Love, love, love that we were able to extend DJM, but I'd be disappointed if our offeason ended with JC for Patty Mills and a huge TPE..... just saying.

I agree. I think the moves so far lead into a predication there will be a larger move but it hasn't become quite clear what and when that will be before camp.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Hurry up and wait!  If I understand correctly that great big $$$ (Whatever you call it) that we got when we traded JC is good for one calendar year.  This means we don't have to use it any time soon.  It's just as good at the trade deadline as it is today.

What if we go into the season with what we have today?  Give Quin Snyder and all his new assistant coaches the opportunity to play these guys together.  Check out the chemestry.  Check out the fit.  Hawks will finish the Summer League.  Hawks will then have the pre season.

Finally, the beginning of the season!  Will all these high priced players be ready, willing and able to go!  Or, will there still be questions about them and their future?

If Atlanta does nothing else, I'm excited to see our new team and the regular season !!

In theory we could make a splash trade in the offseason and still use the TPE during the season to fill any need we don’t know we have yet.

The TPE as I understand it, is not involved with any of the big names we are looking at because their salaries are too high. We would probably only get one or two role players out of the TPE, and yes, the smart play is to wait it out while other teams decide if they want to win or shed salary next season. 

The big fish are going to require players and picks. We could wait until the season to move them too but we would run the risk of reshaping our entire roster/lineup mid season and have to build chemistry on the fly.

It can be done. We did this with Bibby. But I would rather us make a big move now if it’s going to cost us 3 or more key players. That way we can have growing pains early and address needs at the trade deadline.