• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

I agree. I think the moves so far lead into a predication there will be a larger move but it hasn't become quite clear what and when that will be before camp.

Maybe, still no way to know what asking prices are -- and if they're high, no reason to make any more moves.  I agree with @sillent from the other thread that patience is our friend right now.  New CBA, picks are more valuable, young players more valuable, and players on good deals (like DJs) that aren't hamstringing teams from buliding out complete rosters are also more valuable.  No need to prematurely consolidate when we just landed a top coach in the league during a CBA where premium coaching is even more impactful, given you cannot spend to win.

• Like 1

I like the idea of being patient. At least waiting til the Lillard and Brown situations play out. 

There is the potential of our role players increasing their trade values throughout the season, since there will be more opportunity with JC gone. And Quin at the helm. 

Although I like him, Bey is the one we should most look to move. He's an asset on the court on his rookie contract. And above all, we won't be able to resign him. That money has to go to OO. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
Just now, warcore said:

Although I like him, Bey is the one we should most look to move. He's an asset on the court on his rookie contract. And above all, we won't be able to resign him.

But yet we can pay Kat?  LOL!

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

But yet we can pay Kat?  LOL!

They can pay anyone they have bird rights to.  If you draft well, the CBA doesn't punish you.  You can sign your own players until infinity.  It just won't let you trade for or sign players outside of the ones you draft. 

If you make a big move this off season, it's the time to do it and you can continue to pay those players and hope to continue to draft well to keep your roster competitive.

I'm personally not worried about how much Luxury tax a billionaire has to pay if our roster is a championship contender.  Right now it may not be but it could be with big additions or big development.  We can do both and I'm okay with it. 

Edited by marco102

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, Sothron said:

No updates from me. 

If I can address some of the random posts in here, let's look at where things have gone so far:

JC traded for basically nothing. Fields says flat out he was traded for financial flexibility to allow the team to get better. We have a 25 million dollar TPE now.

DJM tweets about "loyalty" and then signs the full max extension with us at deliberately lower than his market value if he had waited just one season. 

Team moves Houston players and Rudy Gay and a pick for Patty Mills whose salary fits in perfectly to make other trades possible.

Trae gets on the gram and says "big news" are coming this weekend.

Even if you ignore everything myself, supes and campster have posted does that sound like a team that is done making moves? Do you really think DJM would take less money for YEARS on an extension if he was told the plan was to cut salary for Ressler and that's it? 

All signs point to a major trade happening. We still have quite a lot of time before the season starts.

Or maybe they are clearing up money to Extend OO and Bey.  That's Occam razor to me

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

The Debbie Downers in this thread the last few days are an object lesson in why the insiders are often reluctant to share what they have heard. Some of you folks should be ashamed of your rude behavior. 

I, for one, appreciate everything you fellas bring to the board that you've heard about, whether it comes to fruition or gets swept away in the wash of doing business. 

Please don't stop on account of some unappreciative tools.

My personal favorite is Diesel using a gif with a girl eating popcorn while I was literally on my back in considerable pain in the bed. Love the kick them while they are down (literally) sense of brotherhood and community.

That being said the overwhelming positive response far outshines those that insist on being negative for negativity sake.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

The Debbie Downers in this thread the last few days are an object lesson in why the insiders are often reluctant to share what they have heard. Some of you folks should be ashamed of your rude behavior. 

I, for one, appreciate everything you fellas bring to the board that you've heard about, whether it comes to fruition or gets swept away in the wash of doing business. 

Please don't stop on account of some unappreciative tools.

LOL ok.

On another note, I was reminiscing about last years trade for Murray. We were first linked that we had interest in Murray by Jake Fischer on the 18th or 21 of June 2022 I believe. Pretty sure he was the first one to mention it in his podcasts. Here is a link: https://www.si.com/nba/spurs/.amp/news/san-antonio-dejounte-murray-trade-rumors-atlanta-hawks

We closed the deal on the 29th.

Here is a link to supes posting about Fischer mentioning on the 21st of June 2022. I looked before and no, no insiders mentioned it.

https://www.hawksquawk.net/topic/435838-the-mega-super-rumor-thread-part-2/?do=findComment&comment=1187369

Once again, Debbie downer lol.

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

LOL ok.

On another note, I was reminiscing about last years trade for Murray. We were first linked that we had interest in Murray by Jake Fischer on the 18th. We closed the deal on the 30th.

Here is a link to supes posting about Fischer mentioning. I looked before and no, no insiders mentioned it.

https://www.hawksquawk.net/topic/435838-the-mega-super-rumor-thread-part-2/?do=findComment&comment=1187369

do-better.gif

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, Sothron said:

My personal favorite is Diesel using a gif with a girl eating popcorn while I was literally on my back in considerable pain in the bed. Love the kick them while they are down (literally) sense of brotherhood and community.

That being said the overwhelming positive response far outshines those that insist on being negative for negativity sake.

What???

The girl eating popcorn is watching and waiting.  I wasn't kicking you? Please.  If anything, I'm praying for you to get better.   I saw the Trae tweet as well.  I'm excitedly waiting.

GEEZ...  Talk about somebody who has been mistreated based on the post I made... That post said absolutely NOTHING and yet... here you go... saying that I'm kicking you while you're down...  

Wow.

• Sad 1

The purpose of the thread was for insider info.  We've (I'm guilty too) have turned this into the free agency thread.  Maybe let's stay on topic and move the day to day conversation to the off season thread? 

Wait a minute...where is that thread?

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, marco102 said:

The purpose of the thread was for insider info.  We've (I'm guilty too) have turned this into the free agency thread.  Maybe let's stay on topic and move the day to day conversation to the off season thread? 

Wait a minute...where is that thread?

We all will just move to the most active thread anyway so why bother. Just call it 2023-2024 discussion lol.

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member
34 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Wishing you well homie.  I don't think Diesel was kicking you tho. Same as me, we're just posting waiting gifs in anticipation.

The usual suspects are doing what they do however. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
47 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

LOL ok.

On another note, I was reminiscing about last years trade for Murray. We were first linked that we had interest in Murray by Jake Fischer on the 18th or 21 of June 2022 I believe. Pretty sure he was the first one to mention it in his podcasts. Here is a link: https://www.si.com/nba/spurs/.amp/news/san-antonio-dejounte-murray-trade-rumors-atlanta-hawks

We closed the deal on the 29th.

Here is a link to supes posting about Fischer mentioning on the 21st of June 2022. I looked before and no, no insiders mentioned it.

The important takeaway here is not that the insiders are somehow relaying bad information or making stuff up -- that's highly unlikely and there's no reason to believe that -- but to me, it's that we don't have to only focus conversation around the noise they're hearing.  I believe we spent the a lot of last season talking about Ayton and there was a lot of conviction that Ayton would be a Hawk (particularly at the trade deadline last year), and there was effectively no conversation around Murray until Jake Fischer broke that news.  I also recall a heavy amount of chatter around Ben Simmons.

So for this offseason, I continue to think the big fish we're going for is Jaylen Brown.  If we listen to the front office, he seems to have everything they are looking for -- he can defend multiple positions, he can shoot, he can drive, and he is another star-level player for the roster.  Quin has spoken very highly of him.  Jaylen has worked really hard to get where he's at and he seems to avoid drama (other than Boston media churning up crap similar to the noise Trae got last year) and has a good attitude.  Add in that he's from Atlanta and constantly reps the city, it just makes sense that he would be the target.  Now let's look at the fact that he still has not signed the supermax with Boston -- and we're presumably one of the only other teams he might want to play for -- and to me, our focus should be on JB.  If he signs the supermax deal with BOS, we can move on, but right now, he has to be the focus.  Not KAT.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
52 minutes ago, Diesel said:

What???

The girl eating popcorn is watching and waiting.  I wasn't kicking you? Please.  If anything, I'm praying for you to get better.   I saw the Trae tweet as well.  I'm excitedly waiting.

GEEZ...  Talk about somebody who has been mistreated based on the post I made... That post said absolutely NOTHING and yet... here you go... saying that I'm kicking you while you're down...  

Wow.

My apologies if I took the wrong way. I have been in pretty severe pain from Friday and it hasn't really let up yet. I am cranky and irritable. No excuses  though if I accuse you of something you didn't mean. My bad.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1