• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, thecampster said:

My opinion on all of the above

JC defense vs Kat

Defensive rating (lower is better) - Kat career 109.2, last season 113.7  JC career 112.7, 115.3 last season.

A simple look would stat Kat is actually better defensively than JC with one small caveat. Kat played both positions while JC primarily played PF.  PF's historically have a larger rating than C's.  That said, Kat played primarily PF last season and was better last season by 1.6.  

One might argue that Kat is better offensively which leads to better team defense.  John's career offense rating is 121.2 but was only 116.7 last season. However, Kat's ORTG last year was the same at 116.7 with a career number of 119.4.  

The delineating factor here is who each played with.  While John's offense was obviously helped by having Trae in the lineup but fell yearly with Clint in the lineup and young players growing, Kat has never really benefitted from elite PG play and his numbers fell last year as other players took on an offensive load.

I'd say the Hawks are better with KAT than JC but what I can't say is they're $23 million more in salary better.  The only benefit Kat brings that JC doesn't is the star factor and the benefit of the call. Kat is more likely to get calls and that could turn games in the final 3 minutes.

I'm not the biggest KAT fan in the world but last few years he's been shooting close 40% from 3 on about twice the attempts per game as JC.  So definitely stretches the D more. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

I'm not the biggest KAT fan in the world but last few years he's been shooting close 40% from 3 on about twice the attempts per game as JC.  So definitely stretches the D more. 

Hey let's keep this gender neutral 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, thecampster said:

My opinion on all of the above

JC defense vs Kat

Defensive rating (lower is better) - Kat career 109.2, last season 113.7  JC career 112.7, 115.3 last season.

A simple look would stat Kat is actually better defensively than JC with one small caveat. Kat played both positions while JC primarily played PF.  PF's historically have a larger rating than C's.  That said, Kat played primarily PF last season and was better last season by 1.6.  

One might argue that Kat is better offensively which leads to better team defense.  John's career offense rating is 121.2 but was only 116.7 last season. However, Kat's ORTG last year was the same at 116.7 with a career number of 119.4.  

The delineating factor here is who each played with.  While John's offense was obviously helped by having Trae in the lineup but fell yearly with Clint in the lineup and young players growing, Kat has never really benefitted from elite PG play and his numbers fell last year as other players took on an offensive load.

I'd say the Hawks are better with KAT than JC but what I can't say is they're $23 million more in salary better.  The only benefit Kat brings that JC doesn't is the star factor and the benefit of the call. Kat is more likely to get calls and that could turn games in the final 3 minutes.

Law of diminishing returns, to get a stsr that is a little better than a decent player u pay exponentially more 

6 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Waiting til Sept for Kat tells me this....

image.png

No OO, OO alone is better than KAT, more valuable for his D, I’d rather keep my boy OO, he’s the next hybrid center. Quick and powerful.

• Like 2

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

No OO, OO alone is better than KAT, more valuable for his D, I’d rather keep my boy OO, he’s the next hybrid center. Quick and powerful.

Yeah, if we are trading for KAT then he needs to be paired in the frontcourt with OO.  CC needs to be the one going in the trade.  We just saw KAT with a CC-like center in Rudy and it did not work.  Conversely, OO would fit better with KAT than any big he has ever played with.  

This is why I think 3-way scenarios are likely needed if we were going to trade with Minnesota since obviously the T-Wolves will need assets from the 3rd team in place of CC.

• Like 4

It is clear to me that the Raptors dont want this guy. They are likely looking for a heist.

We have a year to use that 25 mill or lose it.

The right trade could come along that we don't have to tear up the team to get.

I don't want to give Siakam a 50 plus mill dollar contract next year....

• Like 2

Trade Capela & Hunter for KAT.  Then our center problem is solved.

#1 - OO  #2- Bruno  #3 - KAT

OO and Bruno plays regularly.  KAT is, in case of emergency, break glass.

On another note:  Two of our draft picks were very good and Gueye exceeded all expectations.  I'm excited to watch all three in pre-season games!!

GO ATL HAWKS!!

:smug:

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Trade Capela & Hunter for KAT.  Then our center problem is solved.

#1 - OO  #2- Bruno  #3 - KAT

OO and Bruno plays regularly.  KAT is, in case of emergency, break glass.

On another note:  Two of our draft picks were very good and Gueye exceeded all expectations.  I'm excited to watch all three in pre-season games!!

GO ATL HAWKS!!

:smug:

I liked what I saw from Norris too..

He shot 2/3 from deep, and 5/7 inside the arc. That's shooting 70%! He scored 12 points in 14 minutes and had 4 rebounds and 2 steals as well.

How about we just Run the regular season 1st 10 games with Summer League Roster, plus Trae and Murray........

Young

Murray

Lundy/Martin

Gueye/Norris

Kabengele/Manek

Then see who stands out, then bring in last years team with the best 3 of the Summer league crew.. 😂

Edited by terrell
  • Thanks 1