• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

12 minutes ago, Sothron said:

No. The September wait is for Bogi to be eligible to be traded in a potential deal to Minnesota. 

The Siakam situation is bizarre and a little sad. He really wants to stay there...on a supermax deal. The team does not want him there. HIs teammates want him gone so it will be "their" team (Barnes and OG) and his staying there squashes their shots and usage. 

So his camp has tried to sabotage his trade value. It has worked. Teams are not going to give up the farm or anywhere close to it for a pouting good but not great player who is demanding a supermax contract. Oh, and lest we forget reports from his camp leaked a month or so ago that he wouldn't resign with a team that traded for him. He's pulling a reverse Harden by literally forcing the Raptors to keep him because they can't afford to trade him for his actual limited value due to the reasons listed above. His defense, btw, has declined the last two seasons and he's going to hit 30 this upcoming season.

What front office in their right mind would give up a lot of value for this? Raps fans are in literal denial thinking they are going to get some kind of cornucopia of assets for him.  

Something to consider for all of us and all teams: remember back when the CBA was designed so only true superstar players got max deals? And under that came the almost but not max deals? With the second apron being a hard cap (and yes, it is a hard cap) we are back to that reality.

Teams can't afford to give out max/supermax deals to players that truly do not deserve it. Siakam is a top 30-40 player in the NBA. Is that supermax? In the old CBA, sure. In the current CBA? Naw, fam. He's not. Teams are now adjusting their financial commitment to players accordingly with the new CBA. There's a reason our guys like Capela, Hunter and Bogi are being asked about in trades. 

We all know how valuable rookie deal rotation players are. They are basically platinum value in the new CBA. Proven veterans that are making good but not great money? Yep, that's the new muscle car out there. We've got three of them. We just traded a fourth and had we not squandered his trade value we could have gotten more. 

So guys like Capela, Hunter, Bogi have far more trade value than Siakam as a result. They are good players locked into long term deals that also aren't "the face of franchise" guys or demand a lot of usage. They are more valuable by a considerable margin than Siakam.

Quite frankly I would pass on Siakam in the Hawks FO and go after KAT or simply wait (I know some of you don't want to hear this) to see if another trade presents itself. Our guys value is not going to go down. We really can afford to wait things out and let our young guys (OO, JJ, AJ, Kobe) prove themselves.

Thank you— I figured we would hold on to Bogi for the reasons you listed.  I’m happy to wait.  Why help other teams’ financial dire straits by giving them serviceable players on relatively reasonable deals?  Let them sleep in the bed they made.  

I wonder what option C is?  There must be players we have substantially discussed beyond Siakam and KAT.

Edited by Hawkish
  • Like 3

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Sothron said:

The Siakam situation is bizarre and a little sad. He really wants to stay there...on a supermax deal. The team does not want him there. HIs teammates want him gone so it will be "their" team (Barnes and OG) and his staying there squashes their shots and usage. 

So his camp has tried to sabotage his trade value. It has worked. Teams are not going to give up the farm or anywhere close to it for a pouting good but not great player who is demanding a supermax contract

The only thing I would say is he cannot demand a supermax contract - he has to earn it by making an ALL NBA team this coming season.  He thinks he has a better shot doing it with the Raptors since he is the #1, but as you noted the young players and apparently the team wants to transition the team to Barnes.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

If that logic was legit teams would not want to add Dame or Luka or Trae for that matter since they all had records equal to or worse than 41-41.  But they clearly do want to add players from teams with records of .500 or lower where they think those players are talented.  Given that Siakam was an All-Star last year and All-NBA the year before, I think you can take it as a given that he is viewed as a desirable and talented player.  What really crushes his value is the fact that he will be an expiring contract after this season, that he will want a lot of money, and that he is giving no one any assurances he won't just walk in FA.  If he was under a non-max contract like JC and DH are, he would be drawing very significant offers.

You have to wonder about those players for sure but the difference between Trae and Luka vs Siakam and Dame are their ages.  If Trae is leading a team to the play in at 29 then we have problems

35 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

The only thing I would say is he cannot demand a supermax contract - he has to earn it by making an ALL NBA team this coming season.  He thinks he has a better shot doing it with the Raptors since he is the #1, but as you noted the young players and apparently the team wants to transition the team to Barnes.

Just bolding that part that 'Dans prefer to skip over...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

You have to wonder about those players for sure but the difference between Trae and Luka vs Siakam and Dame are their ages.  If Trae is leading a team to the play in at 29 then we have problems

To take it back to Siakam, he would not be expected to necessarily be the best player on the team in Atlanta like he has been in Toronto.  You can get guys like Anthony Davis who don't have huge success as the #1 on their team but enjoy way more success as a #2 or #3 on a more talented roster.  I'm definitely not going to rule someone out because their team wasn't that great last year if they seem to fit otherwise.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sothron said:

No. The September wait is for Bogi to be eligible to be traded in a potential deal to Minnesota. 

So his camp has tried to sabotage his trade value. It has worked. Teams are not going to give up the farm or anywhere close to it for a pouting good but not great player who is demanding a supermax contract. Oh, and lest we forget reports from his camp leaked a month or so ago that he wouldn't resign with a team that traded for him. He's pulling a reverse Harden by literally forcing the Raptors to keep him because they can't afford to trade him for his actual limited value due to the reasons listed above. His defense, btw, has declined the last two seasons and he's going to hit 30 this upcoming season.

What front office in their right mind would give up a lot of value for this? Raps fans are in literal denial thinking they are going to get some kind of cornucopia of assets for him.  

Something to consider for all of us and all teams: remember back when the CBA was designed so only true superstar players got max deals? And under that came the almost but not max deals? With the second apron being a hard cap (and yes, it is a hard cap) we are back to that reality.

Teams can't afford to give out max/supermax deals to players that truly do not deserve it. Siakam is a top 30-40 player in the NBA. Is that supermax? In the old CBA, sure. In the current CBA? Naw, fam. He's not. Teams are now adjusting their financial commitment to players accordingly with the new CBA. There's a reason our guys like Capela, Hunter and Bogi are being asked about in trades. 

We all know how valuable rookie deal rotation players are. They are basically platinum value in the new CBA. Proven veterans that are making good but not great money? Yep, that's the new muscle car out there. We've got three of them. We just traded a fourth and had we not squandered his trade value we could have gotten more. 

So guys like Capela, Hunter, Bogi have far more trade value than Siakam as a result. They are good players locked into long term deals that also aren't "the face of franchise" guys or demand a lot of usage. They are more valuable by a considerable margin than Siakam.

Quite frankly I would pass on Siakam in the Hawks FO and go after KAT or simply wait (I know some of you don't want to hear this) to see if another trade presents itself. Our guys value is not going to go down. We really can afford to wait things out and let our young guys (OO, JJ, AJ, Kobe) prove themselves.

Pass on a top 20 guy making less money than a top 40 guy in KAT LOL. makes a ton of sense. Like i said before they have zero interest in kat. Nada rn

11 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Wanna know why, cuz he’s good. We need to get in on this and dangle Capela, Hunter, and Meth-Bogi.

Fixed.

He ain't good enough to overpay for.

This sounds like our Crowder disagreement all over again. 

• Confused 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

To take it back to Siakam, he would not be expected to necessarily be the best player on the team in Atlanta like he has been in Toronto.  You can get guys like Anthony Davis who don't have huge success as the #1 on their team but enjoy way more success as a #2 or #3 on a more talented roster.  I'm definitely not going to rule someone out because their team wasn't that great last year if they seem to fit otherwise.

Only problem is he will eventually be paid like he is.  Fans may not care but I think someone like Young would.  And if I were Murray who took a hair cut like he did to end up being the 3rd highest paid player on the team or worse, there might be some issues especially if Siakam makes a stink about his contract a year from now.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

And if I were Murray who took a hair cut like he did to end up being the 3rd highest paid player on the team or worse, there might be some issues especially if Siakam makes a stink about his contract in 1 year

giphy.gif 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Sothron said:

Preeeeeaaaccchhhh Soth!  I agree 100%

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
26 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

And if I were Murray who took a hair cut like he did to end up being the 3rd highest paid player on the team or worse, there might be some issues especially if Siakam makes a stink about his contract in 1 year

Siakam was/is always making more than DJ - no issue. 

4 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Found him.... this guy :laugh1:Screenshot_20230720_111659_Samsung Internet.jpg

....apparently, we are ALL suffer from sheer delusionism. 😆.

They have a player they seem to not have a clue what to do with...keep him and pay him? They also want to build around Barnes who plays the same position. 

All Hawks have to do it sit back...watch and wait.

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2308629&start=1180

image.thumb.png.a17340eaf6851b3bee710938f39f456b.png

WuTang_OG, imma need you to go ahead and pick you out a switch so you can get this butt whoopin'

spanking-the.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, kg01 said:

Hey Raptor fans.  Put a nickel in the till on your way in.

Oh and remember siakim is an expiring who's pretending to be unwilling to re-sign with the acquiring team.  IOW, that's a distressed asset.  Realign your expectations accordingly. 

My question to Raptors Fans..

Do they want to resign him at the Supermax?  Something Jalen Brown like that could mean up to 300 Million?  That's what he and his agent are expecting.