• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

• Premium Member
52 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

On the one hand I'm happy if the players are getting more of the pie but in reality the pie is just getting bigger partly because the owners will keep raising ticket prices.  I love the Hawks but i only go to a handful of games because i can't spend thousands on attending every year.    I'm always surprised that so many people can do it.  Maybe it's just priorities.  I like to go with friends where i just have to pay for myself.  Taking the family is like a dang beach vacation.  

We typically hit up opening night then a few select games throughout the year.  I remember getting $47 tickets in the 116 section. Can't even get anything less than $150.

• Premium Member

1 Hawks player Raptors must prioritize in Pascal Siakam trade talks

The only player the Raptors could acquire in a Siakam-Atlanta deal who could make a long-term impact on this rotation is former Michigan guard Kobe Bufkin. The Raptors should be willing to wait until he becomes available, assuming some small corner of the front office has their mind made up on trading Siakam.

The Toronto Raptors must prioritize Kobe Bufkin in Pascal Siakam talks.

The Raptors were linked to Bufkin quite regularly through the pre-draft process, so much so that some fans were a bit surprised when the Raptors went for a shooting wing like Gradey d*ck over a ball-handling guard like Bufkin and Keyonte George. His two-way skills and electric scoring skill stand out.

Bufkin profiles as a high-energy guard off the bench in his formative NBA years that eventually matures physically and becomes enough of a standout defensive player to move into a starting role. Think of him as a supercharged version of Dennis Schröder that could boost the Raptors with or without Siakam.

https://raptorsrapture.com/2023/07/27/1-hawks-player-raptors-prioritize-pascal-siakam-trade-bufkin/

• Like 1

• Premium Member

5 NBA Offseason Trades That Can Still Happen

The Trade: Dallas Mavericks acquire Clint Capela from the Atlanta Hawks for Tim Hardaway Jr., Josh Green and a 2025 second-round pick (via TOR).

To bring aboard their sought-after shot-blocking, board-hoarding center, the Mavericks have to cough up a package headlined by Josh Green, a promising connective wing who can cut, pass on the move, defend and hit open threes. If he can replicate the 40.2 percent he shot from distance last year, Green, still just 22, could be a huge get for the Hawks.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10083892-5-nba-offseason-trades-that-can-still-happen

@thecampster. Is the the Dallas 'overpay' you mentioned?

• Like 2

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

1 Hawks player Raptors must prioritize in Pascal Siakam trade talks

The only player the Raptors could acquire in a Siakam-Atlanta deal who could make a long-term impact on this rotation is former Michigan guard Kobe Bufkin. The Raptors should be willing to wait until he becomes available, assuming some small corner of the front office has their mind made up on trading Siakam.

The Toronto Raptors must prioritize Kobe Bufkin in Pascal Siakam talks.

The Raptors were linked to Bufkin quite regularly through the pre-draft process, so much so that some fans were a bit surprised when the Raptors went for a shooting wing like Gradey d*ck over a ball-handling guard like Bufkin and Keyonte George. His two-way skills and electric scoring skill stand out.

Bufkin profiles as a high-energy guard off the bench in his formative NBA years that eventually matures physically and becomes enough of a standout defensive player to move into a starting role. Think of him as a supercharged version of Dennis Schröder that could boost the Raptors with or without Siakam.

https://raptorsrapture.com/2023/07/27/1-hawks-player-raptors-prioritize-pascal-siakam-trade-bufkin/

It really seems to me like we took Kobe with the intent to trade him to the Raptors and then the deal fell through.  Which is pretty bad taking a first round pick you don't really want and getting stuck with him.  Not that he's bad but with Trae/DJ locked up long term why do we need a guy like Kobe? 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Not that he's bad but with Trae/DJ locked up long term why do we need a guy like Kobe? 

DJ wasn't locked up at the time of the draft.

Edit: some were saying we took Bufkin because they didn't want to max DJ next season.

3 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

It really seems to me like we took Kobe with the intent to trade him to the Raptors and then the deal fell through.  Which is pretty bad taking a first round pick you don't really want and getting stuck with him.  Not that he's bad but with Trae/DJ locked up long term why do we need a guy like Kobe? 

I think this is evidence that we did not take him for that purpose.  That'd be a pretty stupid thing to do and I can't imagine them being that stupid. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

More like it's a realization they aren't getting Griffin or OO.

Yeah.  I'm not saying that's what really happened because as kg said that would be dumb but at the same time seems like we had a deal for something and the Raps got really cold feet.  And now i think they are regretting it.   Which is cool with me.  Let them squirm. 

Still though, even though DJ wasn't signed yet, it doesn't seem to me like Kobe is a greate compliment to Trae anyway so I'm still a little surprised by the pick. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

You can't?

No.  I don't think any front office does that.  For the very reason you cite.  What happens if the deal doesn't go through.

24 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Guess i'd say what is the evidence?  We waited a while to actually sign him and now we are getting leaks from Toronto that he's just the guy they need back in a siakam deal.  

Leaks from TOR are evidence of nothing, imho.  The evidence, for me, is that front offices don't draft guys to be traded months later.  CLE doing it with Wiggins is the only time I can recall it happening, but that was an unusual circumstance related to Lebron. 

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

More like it's a realization they aren't getting Griffin or OO.

Naw, just means they're getting him, AJ, OO, and now Bogi too. 

• Haha 2

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

Yeah.  I'm not saying that's what really happened because as kg said that would be dumb but at the same time seems like we had a deal for something and the Raps got really cold feet.  And now i think they are regretting it.   Which is cool with me.  Let them squirm. 

Still though, even though DJ wasn't signed yet, it doesn't seem to me like Kobe is a greate compliment to Trae anyway so I'm still a little surprised by the pick. 

Not if they deemed him best available of what was left.

• Like 1

There are people hyping themselves up for august 3rd, but I’m not gonna lie, I don’t think anything is gonna happen. People are setting themselves up for disappointment. We have heard basically nothing from the hawks side about trading Kobe Bufkin (and they probably shouldn’t considering how the trade market looks right now). At some point they just need to just give up on the Siakam trade pursuit and just move on. Trade Capela, get a backup center, and let the young guys play.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

The Trade: Dallas Mavericks acquire Clint Capela from the Atlanta Hawks for Tim Hardaway Jr., Josh Green and a 2025 second-round pick (via TOR).

To bring aboard their sought-after shot-blocking, board-hoarding center, the Mavericks have to cough up a package headlined by Josh Green, a promising connective wing who can cut, pass on the move, defend and hit open threes. If he can replicate the 40.2 percent he shot from distance last year, Green, still just 22, could be a huge get for the Hawks.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10083892-5-nba-offseason-trades-that-can-still-happen

Messaged you on this.

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Messaged you on this.

Hmmm, more rumblings happen that may come to fruition but aren't solid enough yet to be public?

It would be great if we could get Josh Green for Clint, but I feel like Dallas values him too much and would rather throw in a FRP

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Not if they deemed him best available of what was left.

Yeah, I was going to say it doesn't have to be exclusively one thing or another.  If we are talking trade with someone and know they covet a particular player in the draft then that can be a factor in whether we draft them without being the only factor.  Like if we really liked both Kobe and another player the fact that one of them makes for a better trade chip could be the deciding factor.

In terms of when Kobe signed his contract, did he need to sign it before he participated in summer league?  He signed on July 3 which is probably right about when the team started practicing before the first summer league game.  If you held off signing Bufkin because you might trade him, you might go ahead and sign him at that point to get  him  into summer league play if the trade wasn't right near the finish line.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I'd bet that it is not because it's not an overpay. Taking on THJ and not getting a 1st for Clint is not what we want. 

This did come out of bleacher report btw. 

Daily activities of bleach report:
White guy: "Dude we should think of another trade that screws over the hawks and people will love it"
Other white guy: "Dude hell yeah!"

• Haha 1