• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Who're Your TPE Targets? (non-insider)

kg01

6 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

I nominate you. When can you start

Yesterday.  

Seriously though, how could they not see Carter would help us?  And was cheap!

But we go out and get Patty.  I like Patty but cmon.  This move was sitting right there for them.  

9 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Yesterday.  

But we go out and get Patty.  I like Patty but cmon.  This move was sitting right there for them.  

What FO has to hire Chris Grant... 

Honestly I think they are just plain rookies and have no idea how to do the other 80% of the job (they can resign players and talk about trades)

• Like 1

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Yesterday.  

We could have signed (in theory) Carter and Drummond for what we pay Patty and Wes.   

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

We could have signed (in theory) Carter and Drummond for what we pay Patty and Wes.   

We could also have signed them for what we pay Patty and Wes + ~$10M and still been under the tax line.

• Sad 3

12 minutes ago, AHF said:

We could also have signed them for what we pay Patty and Wes + ~$10M and still been under the tax line.

Korver was with Matthews in Milwaukee and Fields was with Mills in SA.

I just don't think this FO knows anything outside of what they know and who they know.

Also, they look for Hawks DNA vs best available defenders or whatever. That is gonna be a huge disadvantage.

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, theheroatl said:

Korver was with Matthews in Milwaukee and Fields was with Mills in SA.

I just don't think this FO knows anything outside of what they know and who they know.

I had hopes those guys were going to be important mentors and help Snyder get his system implemented but I've seen no signs that this is the case, unfortunately.  Just seem to be weak bench players who have occasional games where they are actually contributing in a positive way and more often are wasted minutes on the floor.

• Sad 2

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, AHF said:

I had hopes those guys were going to be important mentors and help Snyder get his system implemented but I've seen no signs that this is the case, unfortunately.  Just seem to be weak bench players who have occasional games where they are actually contributing in a positive way and more often are wasted minutes on the floor.

Call it my own personal conspiracy, but I genuinely think we brought in Wes and Patty to try to be a positive veteran influence on Trae, and it isn't working.  His attitude issues have not gotten better, he continues to cost us games with his emotions and ref whining.  There's a disconnect in what we preach as "Hawks DNA" and what our star player displays, and I suspect these vets were our effort to remediate that.

3 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Call it my own personal conspiracy, but I genuinely think we brought in Wes and Patty to try to be a positive veteran influence on Trae, and it isn't working.  His attitude issues have not gotten better, he continues to cost us games with his emotions and ref whining.  There's a disconnect in what we preach as "Hawks DNA" and what our star player displays, and I suspect these vets were our effort to remediate that.

The attitude thing got us last night ... and some other nights ... but I do think he's getting (and has gotten) better.  Curry's advice is salient for him.  Hope he heeds it.

And I thought it was obvious that's why Mills and Matthews were here.

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, kg01 said:

And I thought it was obvious that's why Mills and Matthews were here.

And because they are cheap expiring contracts.  We saved $4.5M in the Mills deal and we have Matthews on a veteran minimum contract.  Could have paid more for some other players but saved some money with these two.  Obvious but needs to be mentioned.

I also agree with you that Trae has improved this year with last night being kind of a master class in the work he still has left to do.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

And because they are cheap expiring contracts.  We saved $4.5M in the Mills deal and we have Matthews on a veteran minimum contract.  Could have paid more for some other players but saved some money with these two.  Obvious but needs to be mentioned.

I also agree with you that Trae has improved this year with last night being kind of a master class in the work he still has left to do.

Us wanting expirings makes sense, if that's what we were solving for, but I highly doubt the price was an issue, assuming we didn't go above the tax.  It just seems like to me we were actively targets veterans to join the bench over players we expect to contribute meaningful minutes.  There are merits to that approach and I don't take issue with it

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Us wanting expirings makes sense, if that's what we were solving for, but I highly doubt the price was an issue, assuming we didn't go above the tax.  It just seems like to me we were actively targets veterans to join the bench over players we expect to contribute meaningful minutes.  There are merits to that approach and I don't take issue with it

I'll agree to disagree with us taking veterans who can't contribute over veterans who can contribute.  Someone like Solo did both and was important to the team both as a mentor / leader and as contributing depth on the team.  Tough to pair guys who aren't expected to contribute with more guys who it appears the GM didn't really expect to contribute (Forrest, Gueye, AJ, Kobe, Garrison, Lundy, Bruno).

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, AHF said:

I'll agree to disagree with us taking veterans who can't contribute over veterans who can contribute.  Someone like Solo did both and was important to the team both as a mentor / leader and as contributing depth on the team.  Tough to pair guys who aren't expected to contribute with more guys who it appears the GM didn't really expect to contribute (Forrest, Gueye, AJ, Kobe, Garrison, Lundy, Bruno).

You should only get locker/bench vets only when you have real contributing NBA players ahead of them.  Otherwise, you need vets that can adequately play and  fill a role through injury or spot starts as needed. 

We did the opposite.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

You should only get locker/bench vets only when you have real contributing NBA players ahead of them.  Otherwise, you need vets that can adequately play and  fill a role through injury or spot starts as needed. 

We did the opposite.

Cheaper to add an assistant coach to fill that mentor role than to do it with players and roster spots.

• Like 3