• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Welcome to Atlanta, Usman Garuba

NBASupes

I got asked privately about the possible 3 for 1 deals out there and the 2 recently acquired players.  See below:

"Another popular misconception is that a player cannot be traded to one team and subsequently traded to another without some delay. If the acquiring team is over the cap upon executing the first trade, the player has an aggregation restriction for 60 days. In other words, the player can be re-traded immediately, but his salary cannot be combined with another player’s salary to acquire a higher-salaried player for roughly two months."

We are not saying that Garuba or TyTy are being packaged (read above).  What we're saying is they would take the roster spots of the traded players.

If the Hawks (for example) were trading Hunter, DJM, Matthews for Kat (FYI, this basic framework has been floating for some time and recently gained enough traction to be suggested on social media and in a "grade the trade proposal" article see here" https://soaringdownsouth.com/2023/06/29/grade-trade-hawks-send-dejounte-timberwolves-stunning-idea/3/) . Kat's salary is significantly higher than either of the 3.  Meaning to stay in an advantageous position with the LT Apron, we'd have to replace 2 of them with substantially cheaper players.

If the above were the trade, the way to look at it would be like a 3 way trade.  Houston send 2 players to Atlanta and draft compensation. Atlanta send Kaba's rights to Houston and 3 players to Minny. Minny sends 1 player to Atlanta.  

Net for Atlanta is 3 for 3, Kaba's rights for 2 picks. In the above scenario, Atlanta's cap number goes up $1.1 million from where it was pre-Houston deal.

Again, nobody is saying those players are combined in a trade today.  They'd be replacing roster slots with low salary, not being used to be packaged. I expect some flaming

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

26 minutes ago, thecampster said:

I got asked privately about the possible 3 for 1 deals out there and the 2 recently acquired players.  See below:

"Another popular misconception is that a player cannot be traded to one team and subsequently traded to another without some delay. If the acquiring team is over the cap upon executing the first trade, the player has an aggregation restriction for 60 days. In other words, the player can be re-traded immediately, but his salary cannot be combined with another player’s salary to acquire a higher-salaried player for roughly two months."

We are not saying that Garuba or TyTy are being packaged (read above).  What we're saying is they would take the roster spots of the traded players.

If the Hawks (for example) were trading Hunter, DJM, Matthews for Kat (FYI, this basic framework has been floating for some time and recently gained enough traction to be suggested on social media and in a "grade the trade proposal" article see here" https://soaringdownsouth.com/2023/06/29/grade-trade-hawks-send-dejounte-timberwolves-stunning-idea/3/) . Kat's salary is significantly higher than either of the 3.  Meaning to stay in an advantageous position with the LT Apron, we'd have to replace 2 of them with substantially cheaper players.

If the above were the trade, the way to look at it would be like a 3 way trade.  Houston send 2 players to Atlanta and draft compensation. Atlanta send Kaba's rights to Houston and 3 players to Minny. Minny sends 1 player to Atlanta.  

Net for Atlanta is 3 for 3, Kaba's rights for 2 picks. In the above scenario, Atlanta's cap number goes up $1.1 million from where it was pre-Houston deal.

Again, nobody is saying those players are combined in a trade today.  They'd be replacing roster slots with low salary, not being used to be packaged. I expect some flaming

Flaming for patiently explaining a concept? Not at all — thanks.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Having said that, I would be disappointed with Hunter/DJ for KAT.  I might even be disappointed with Hunter/Capela for KAT.  Considering the contracts going out this year, Hunter and Capela look like ‘reasonable’ value (Capela more).  This should increase their trade value once teams hit their financial flexibility ceiling but still have glaring holes to fill.  

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
24 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Weren't HOU folks mad at giving up the Tyty guy and Garuba?  Welp, now they can get em back for cheap. 

I wouldn't mind giving him a camp invite.  I know we have 15 guarenteed contracts, but I would be willing to "eat" Garrison Matthew's contract if a PF/C such as Garuba can show they they can help the team,  when needed.   I doubt Garrison stays with the Hawks for the entire season as is.

23 minutes ago, Blunt91 said:

I wouldn't mind giving him a camp invite.  I know we have 15 guarenteed contracts, but I would be willing to "eat" Garrison Matthew's contract if a PF/C such as Garuba can show they they can help the team,  when needed.   I doubt Garrison stays with the Hawks for the entire season as is.

I hear you, but I imagine OKC likely tried to flip him and found no takers.  Doesn't sound like a contributor to me.  3 teams saw him up close and passed hard. 

Mathews has shown some NBA ability.  Certainly far more than Garuba ever did. 

Not arguing, just offering my perspective. 

30 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I hear you, but I imagine OKC likely tried to flip him and found no takers.  Doesn't sound like a contributor to me.  3 teams saw him up close and passed hard. 

Mathews has shown some NBA ability.  Certainly far more than Garuba ever did. 

Not arguing, just offering my perspective. 

Yeah Garrison is more "seasoned" than Garuba but I just think we have too many Guards on the team.  

• 4 weeks later...