• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I hope the Siakam deal fails to go through.

givemesome1ce1

• Premium Member
On 9/27/2023 at 1:43 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

Depth is our biggest strength right now

If depth is your biggest strength right now, you're not in a good place, because you had more depth last post season and self-evidently were not satisfied with that depth. Effectively, on the court, the FO has dispatched a starter-level talent (bad), moved up a high-ceiling back-up (good), and have decided to count on a 2nd round rookie to pick up some of those minutes (bad)... and what minutes he doesn't pick up, seem likely to ask two SFs to also share some PF load, ie, who have never exactly excelled yet in their young careers in that role (bad and bad).

Nah. Your biggest strength right now, as I'm seeing some saying... you have a head coach that is about as highly regarded and universally regarded as you ever see a head coach become in the National Basketball Association. The players are going to respect his decisions from the first jump ball, almost certainly, and fans are going to respect.... oh, well, who am I kidding... fans will only respect his decisions for a relatively brief honeymoon period, then if he doesn't meet expectations, he's going to be as toasted as the last guy... maybe just a slower burn, but a burn nonetheless.

It's only too bad that he's not getting the chance to go to war with a stronger roster. But as I've said more than once, the Mighty Quin might just be that good. And yeah, Jalen, too.

But here's what matters. Antony can be happy that there's some reason for hope as the season begins, and he's going to generate some revenue while at the same time not going to risk paying tax. He can be really happy given all that. So, he'll keep owning the team. And after all, isn't that what we all really want... you know what they say... happy owner, happy life. Or something like that.

• Premium Member
49 minutes ago, Diesel said:

But you have to know what player is the one that will make you a contender.   I don't know if that's Siakam.   Last Season, his presence in Toronto didn't mean Jack.  They had a good coach.  They had an allstar PG.  They had a ROY playing next to him... but they ended up worse than we did.  At some point, you have to open your eyes and recognize that he looks good at the expense of his team. 

JC had a down season offensively overall, but his post-ASG numbers strongly suggested reason for optimism that whatever he was working through (suspected to be mainly his finger issue, of course), he was getting back to form, or something in that ballpark.

If you couldn't afford to wait to see if the younger JC would reestablish himself, it begs credulity how one could be excited to pay the older PS for production that has been, except for the first 50 games of 22-23, very similar... if not worse in some ways even with including those 50 games in the calculations.

Worse. You were... and still might be, who knows... ready to send out young talent in trade that would effectively nullify any net talent gain desired.

Hope for y'alls sake the FO is able to resist temptation and avoid jumping the shark... and that Quin is able to keep as much of this group together as possible, to see what he can do with them.

2023-09-28_22-54-12.png

2023-09-28_22-44-18.png

2023-09-28_22-41-45.png

• Like 1

Whether Atlanta has a winning season, whether they are great or terrible, depends entirely on whether they obtain Siakam or not.  Without him, they are an utter failure.  Thy have no one to play PF without him.  Doesn't matter what the Hawks have to give up for this one season rental, they must do it if they have any hopes of even having a decent season.

In reality, this Hawk team will be playing four on five on offense and defense.  They have no replacement for the departed JC.

🥲

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Basically GM, we need Jalen Johnson to show that he can do about 70% of the things that Siakam can do. He has to be that good, in order for the Hawks to come close to being a 50+ win team.

That's not necessarily true. 

Bae could step up and our whole way of doing offense changes.  What happens when you put shooters around Trae and DJ?   We have already considered that Siakam would be another person who clogs the interior of our offense.  That plus his high usage would put us in a similar place to Toronto last year.   I don't think JJ has to come out and be something that he's not for us to be good.   He's not a shooter either.   But we have shooters.   I suspect that Snyder will have that as being part of the new Hawks look.   Shooters around Trae. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Diesel said:

That's not necessarily true. 

Bae could step up and our whole way of doing offense changes.  What happens when you put shooters around Trae and DJ?   We have already considered that Siakam would be another person who clogs the interior of our offense.  That plus his high usage would put us in a similar place to Toronto last year.   I don't think JJ has to come out and be something that he's not for us to be good.   He's not a shooter either.   But we have shooters.   I suspect that Snyder will have that as being part of the new Hawks look.   Shooters around Trae. 

I agree that Bey could be the guy who makes the lineup click as a spread PF.  I think between Bey and JJ at the PF spot, we need them to prove a better fit than 2022-23 JC.  That combined with better systems and coaching could result in a significant improvement over last year.

• Like 2

On 9/28/2023 at 9:55 PM, Diesel said:

But you have to know what player is the one that will make you a contender.   I don't know if that's Siakam.   Last Season, his presence in Toronto didn't mean Jack.  They had a good coach.  They had an allstar PG.  They had a ROY playing next to him... but they ended up worse than we did.  At some point, you have to open your eyes and recognize that he looks good at the expense of his team. 

image.gif.8d6c7827498985e331b13e7bdca9e0b7.gif

@Diesel

If anyone else wants to play, they can too.

This was the Toronto Raptors roster from last season

image.thumb.png.01e348ccb03b16cb9244fe020a55eb6f.png

You get to swap out any player from their roster, to add to our roster ( not named Siakam ), to see if you can create a better team for the Hawks

My request is that if you choose to add a starter from their roster, you subtract a starter from our roster that plays a similar position.  Same with bench players.

For example, if you wanted to add All-Star guard Fred Van Vleet to the Hawks, you must subtract either Trae or DJ from the Hawks, since all 3 are technically PGs.

And you can swap out as many Toronto players to replace Hawks players as you want.  Just follow the starter/bench and position rules.

image.gif.60a58f1fd1513198f0087675ae333afe.gif

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

image.gif.8d6c7827498985e331b13e7bdca9e0b7.gif

@Diesel

If anyone else wants to play, they can too.

This was the Toronto Raptors roster from last season

image.thumb.png.01e348ccb03b16cb9244fe020a55eb6f.png

You get to swap out any player from their roster, to add to our roster ( not named Siakam ), to see if you can create a better team for the Hawks

My request is that if you choose to add a starter from their roster, you subtract a starter from our roster that plays a similar position.  Same with bench players.

For example, if you wanted to add All-Star guard Fred Van Vleet to the Hawks, you must subtract either Trae or DJ from the Hawks, since all 3 are technically PGs.

And you can swap out as many Toronto players to replace Hawks players as you want.  Just follow the starter/bench and position rules.

image.gif.60a58f1fd1513198f0087675ae333afe.gif

Easy - OG for Hunter

• Like 3

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Is that the only one? 

Anyone else off of that roster you would swap out for a current Hawk player?

Can I start OO and swap Poetl for CC? 

Boucher over your boy Bruno 🤓 

I'd be lying if I said I know much about the bench: Trent Jr, Precious, are the familiar names but I'd rather Bogi and Bey.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Can I start OO and swap Poetl for CC? 

Boucher over your boy Bruno 🤓 

I'd be lying if I said I know much about the bench: Trent Jr, Precious, are the familiar names but I'd rather Bogi and Bey.

Yes you may on the Poetl for CC swap

Boucher was a rotation player that played over 1500 minutes, he was basically their 6th man.  So no to the Boucher for Bruno, who only played 41 minutes last season for the Hawks.

JJ played 1000+ minutes, so I will accept a Boucher for JJ swap.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

But we don’t get a Diesel like shout out to participate? … I’ll be honest I’m emotionally hurt by this. I’ll be out 7-10 days ..

Now you see how it feels to be left out?!

• Sad 1

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

So you didn't want to play, Diesel?

Does Northcyde have to start clanking bottles together like Puffy, to get you to play?

image.png.251a576d32d47235859adafb84d4357a.png

No need for that.  You never answer JBH.

I would say OG for Hunter is a definite.  Just about everything else is even money.  I guess.  

But for grins, I will say Scottie Barnes for Jalen.