• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I hope the Siakam deal fails to go through.

givemesome1ce1

• Premium Member
15 hours ago, Sothron said:

It sounds like we are going to stand pat with this team and any major changes would be next offseason. Team feels Toronto wasted a lot of their time with useless Siakam talks. 

I am shocked Capela is still here and is planning on still being here through this season. Again, if a team comes to us with a deal we can't say no to then we will make a trade. But I along with many others here felt a consolidation trade was going to happen the last seasons.

Instead, Kevin was traded for next to nothing. Collins was traded for literally nothing. Team is safely under the luxury tax and we have a TPE that the team has no interest in really using.

Frankly it is a little hard to get excited for the upcoming season knowing these things. 

I'm not as disappointed about the fact we didn't do a consolidation trade.  Feels early to me to do that, given Quin's arrival.  We did completely botched the JC situation and held on to him until he had no value.  I don't blame our FO entirely though because that freak-accident finger injury that ruined his shot was not exactly predictable.  Moving Kevin was on Ressler and Travis-- there's no reason he should have been moved before the deadline.  We didn't even give ourselves a chance to see what the team looked like last year and with Bogi's injuries, we could have used the help.  Schlenk was probably just phoning it in already.....

For this offseason though, I am content.  The only thing I want to do is get OO locked in on a reasonable deal, if possible.  I'm happy making Bey prove himself this season and us matching any offers.  The DJ extension was a huge win.  We just invested in a great coach and coaching staff, so making rash moves or even remotely overpaying for players right now does not make sense.  We have to let Quin work with these young guys.  If we can get a leap from AJ/JJ/OO, we're either a flat out better team or we can consolidate for pieces later.  I trust Quin's development staff to increase their value.

Not a lot of teams are getting better this offseason and that plays into our favor.  And once the new CBA kicks in fully, we'll be in even better shape next season and the one after.  Boston will be worse, imo, with the departure of Smart and Brogdons issues.  KP being healthy is always a wild card and I think he makes their defense worse -- and they already had a ton of outside shooting.  I think they get worse this year.  Philly is in disarray up there with locker room issues.  Harden is declining and both of their stars are injury prone.  Beverley and Bamba aren't needle movers.  The Bucks will probably still be a top team, but they just got first rounded and Middleton/Jrue are getting past their prime.  The Knicks and the Cavs, to me, are the two teams we should not sleep on.  I could see either of them cracking into the top 3 in the East if things go well.  For the Hawks, I personally think it's difficult to understate the importance of having Quin here an entire season.  I really feel that Nate derailed our program for a couple of years.  His only success came when he did not have his own "offense" in place.  His staff was terrible.  In short, I'm looking forward to this season a lot.  It's been 6 years since we had a competent coaching staff.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

The Raptors and Hawks have not held any meaningful conversations regarding Siakam in over a month, and Toronto is prepared to hold onto him entering the 2023-24 season. For Atlanta, their focus is on being the best version of themselves.

Head coach Quin Snyder took over the Hawks' sideline in the middle of last season, posting a 10-11 record over the team's final 21 games. With Trae Young and Dejounte Murray leading the charge in their backcourt, the Hawks are confident in their abilities to not only make the playoffs, but once again prove to be a real threat in the conference like they were during the 2020-21 season when they advanced to the Eastern Conference Finals. Even though the addition of Siakam would have boosted this franchise, the Hawks are high on the potential that exists on their current roster.

“This is a group that is very tight with one another and many of them have been together for years now,” a team source who was granted anonymity to speak freely told ClutchPoints. “There is opportunity for growth amongst some of the new guys and unlike other teams, we know what to expect from our veterans like Trae, Dejounte and Bogi [Bojan Bogdanovic] every game. Depth is our biggest strength right now and our overall talent is only going to get better as the season progresses.”

Finishing last season with a 41-41 record, the Hawks are motivated and ready to prove that they can be a real threat in the East during the 2023-24 season.

https://clutchpoints.com/siegels-scoop-damian-lillard-trade-talks-intensify-blazers-attempt-raptors-heat-bidding-war

4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

The Raptors and Hawks have not held any meaningful conversations regarding Siakam in over a month, and Toronto is prepared to hold onto him entering the 2023-24 season. For Atlanta, their focus is on being the best version of themselves.

Head coach Quin Snyder took over the Hawks' sideline in the middle of last season, posting a 10-11 record over the team's final 21 games. With Trae Young and Dejounte Murray leading the charge in their backcourt, the Hawks are confident in their abilities to not only make the playoffs, but once again prove to be a real threat in the conference like they were during the 2020-21 season when they advanced to the Eastern Conference Finals. Even though the addition of Siakam would have boosted this franchise, the Hawks are high on the potential that exists on their current roster.

“This is a group that is very tight with one another and many of them have been together for years now,” a team source who was granted anonymity to speak freely told ClutchPoints. “There is opportunity for growth amongst some of the new guys and unlike other teams, we know what to expect from our veterans like Trae, Dejounte and Bogi [Bojan Bogdanovic] every game. Depth is our biggest strength right now and our overall talent is only going to get better as the season progresses.”

Finishing last season with a 41-41 record, the Hawks are motivated and ready to prove that they can be a real threat in the East during the 2023-24 season.

https://clutchpoints.com/siegels-scoop-damian-lillard-trade-talks-intensify-blazers-attempt-raptors-heat-bidding-war

They deserve the worst front office of the league for mishandling the contract situations of their own top 3 of 4 players in one offseason if they open training camp like this.

the absolute only reason they are slow playing all of their contracts is they don’t believe in the team they have

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

Now that the Dame bubble has popped for the Raps...the Canadans are circling the Hawks again:

Screenshot_20230927_220721_Samsung Internet.jpg

:laugh1::laugh1:

so Mavs are trading Holmes, Green and OMax for Capela, then the Hawks will gift them Green and OMax PLUS Bogi, Griffin/Bufkin PLUS picks fo an expiring player who says he wants to stay in Toronto. :deke:

37 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Now that the Dame bubble has popped for the Raps...the Canadans are circling the Hawks again:

Screenshot_20230927_220721_Samsung Internet.jpg

:laugh1::laugh1:

so Mavs are trading Holmes, Green and OMax for Capela, then the Hawks will gift them Green and OMax PLUS Bogi, Griffin/Bufkin PLUS picks fo an expiring player who says he wants to stay in Toronto. :deke:

More like Hunter straight up for Siakam at this point… they have 2 more weekdays until media day. They got a lot of questions and self reflection in that front office on Monday if this is the plan they wanted.

Hawks go to Monday in a position of strength, the dans are in full meltdown.

• Premium Member

And now that the Lillard noise has settled down, attention can be turned to Siakam, the Raptors' best-returning player and one who seemed destined to be traded in the summer, with Atlanta as perhaps the most likely destination.

That talk eventually cooled, but the level of commitment Toronto has to the two-time all-NBA player is still uncertain. There have been no talks on a contract extension, per sources, with the team seemingly taking a wait-and-see approach to get a sense of how the existing pieces – Siakam primary among them – fit within whatever offensive system Rajakovic chooses to employ.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nba/article/no-lillard-no-problem-for-the-raptors-that-remains-to-be-seen/

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

More like Hunter straight up for Siakam at this point… they have 2 more weekdays until media day. They got a lot of questions and self reflection in that front office on Monday if this is the plan they wanted.

Hawks go to Monday in a position of strength, the dans are in full meltdown.

They have 3 UFAs going into the season, all who have been on the trade block...will be interesting. They may pivot and offer extensions to Siakam and Trent.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

They have 3 UFAs going into the season, all who have been on the trade block...will be interesting. They may pivot and offer extensions to Siakam and Trent.

I agree. It would be weird to start the season with a new coach and not at least one extension offered.

These are human beings and they’ve absolutely seen rumors. It’s not great going in playing in a season when things are up in the air.

We know this so so so so well with JC.

• Like 1

• Moderators
10 hours ago, theheroatl said:

I agree. It would be weird to start the season with a new coach and not at least one extension offered.

These are human beings and they’ve absolutely seen rumors. It’s not great going in playing in a season when things are up in the air.

We know this so so so so well with JC.

They really need to figure out where they want to be in one year.  Who do they want to build around?  Pretty important question and they seem very uncertain about the answer.

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I didn’t even know we were still on this whole Siakam ordeal.

Life moves on, we should too lol

It isn't clear that there really is anything going on with Siakam.  Seems like Toronto can't make up their mind on their pending FAs and don't want to trade them as rentals.  Their status as rentals will get all the more clear as the season ticks on and then prospective trading partners aren't even guaranteed a full season with them.  That should push them to accept the expiring contract discount or push them to reup those players on new contracts.  Otherwise, they will be repeating our fiasco with Millsap and Horford where they ultimately walked away for nothing and we had to rebuild.  Very important year for Masai to figure out where Toronto wants to go.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I didn’t even know we were still on this whole Siakam ordeal.

Life moves on, we should too lol

The issue is strike while the iron is hot. 

Siakam does bring some value and will make noise for maybe 1.5 seasons.   BUT...He will kill a franchise like our if we trade away all of our young players and potential picks and hold on to him for 6 years.    

The risk that our front office considers is actually taking the rental for one year shot at the chip. 

My problem is that the rental is too costly and we have potential that is better (in other places) than Siakam. 

9 hours ago, Diesel said:

The truth is what it always have been.  They don't see a future in building around Siakim.   He's a high usage player who older now.  He stunts the growth of their younger guys and he will make so much money on his next contract that it will handcuff them into being a mid team.   They don't want to admit it but what it boils down to is that Siakam is not worth his next contract for them. 

We should steer clear unless we can get him for a minimal price. 

I think that for the hawks when we talk about Siakam next contract it should not be a deal breaker on if we go after him or not.

This is one of the problems with Atlanta Hawks history. We are always holding out in hopes of something better to come rather than taking what we can realistically get.

I’m not saying bend over for everyone…..but if you are in the hawks current position where you’re maxing out on 2 players in Trae & Murray…then one of your star players (Murray) takes a pay cut to help Atlanta (which I need to surprisingly remind everyone is rare for ATL)…we should be using this opportunity to get what we can to go along with our potential could be all star backcourt ….BEFORE these other younger players start demanding money because it is going to happen.

Hunter regardless of what hawks fans think of him , his next contract will be huge. Same with OO. Maybe AJ joins that conversation if gets a chance to really showcase his offense. Ain’t no telling what Traes next big contract is going to look like.

just saying…we need to get what we can and stop being so snarky about it. A trio of Trae, Murray, Siakam would be some of the best talent at once in Atlanta Hawk history.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theheroatl said:

The truth has always been Landry will only get Siakam if he commits to the team and if his price tag is low.

Trading with an eastern conference team is hard. Trading with a dysfunctional Masai run FO is impossible.

Siakam price tag was never going to be low. If our FO thought that then they been wasting a lot of time for a long time.

Anyone whose idea is that Siakam or players of his level/caliber is going to come at a bargain price is just ridiculous …we are in an era where it’s common that big money will be spent for mediocre talent or players past their prime.

Siakam is going to get paid no matter where he lands.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, JTB said:

’m not saying bend over for everyone…..but if you are in the hawks current position where you’re maxing out on 2 players in Trae & Murray…then one of your star players (Murray) takes a pay cut to help Atlanta (which I need to surprisingly remind everyone is rare for ATL)…we should be using this opportunity to get what we can to go along with our potential could be all star backcourt ….BEFORE these other younger players start demanding money because it is going to happen.

But you have to know what player is the one that will make you a contender.   I don't know if that's Siakam.   Last Season, his presence in Toronto didn't mean Jack.  They had a good coach.  They had an allstar PG.  They had a ROY playing next to him... but they ended up worse than we did.  At some point, you have to open your eyes and recognize that he looks good at the expense of his team. 

• Confused 1