• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Folks….we have a rebounding and overall defensive paint issue!

JTB

Look it up for yourselves but the stats matches eye test unfortunately.

As a matter of fact we are not doing well defensively when it comes to the paint at all! We’re a top team in ALLOWING second chance points, points in the paint, opponent offensive rebounds, opponent defensive rebounds…..we aren’t even good at defensive rebounds!

as things stand today our top rebounder Capela who is normally always top 7 in rebounding is not in the top 10.

I didn’t know if I should be concerned with something Quinn is doing that may be getting Capela out of position for rebounds or if this is because we are trying to utilize OO more….but what I am seeing is that both actually has less minutes on the floor so far this season which doesn’t necessarily add up . I’m sure 1 of those guys are out there at all times playing the 5 ….or at least I thought they were.

I hope they can turn this around soon. I understand many are concerned with Traes shooting but even with his bad shooting percentages we are still a top offensive team and even improved in categories like fast break points!….BUT REBOUNDING and everything to do with the paint defensively is complete trash right now. 

I’m doing my best not to place all the blame on CC. Is this a sign that we need to start playing Capela starting minutes again is my top question ?……I really believe if we rebounded better we’d be 8-4 right now potentially 9-3 instead of 6-6 at .500

• Premium Member

It's uncanny?

We are the 5th best team for Offensive rebounds.

We are the 25th best team for Defensive rebounds.

We are the 5th best team for Offensive Rating.

We are the 25th best team for Defensive Rating. 

The issue is that we see the effort being given on defense.   I don't think we can point at an individual and say... that's our defensive problem.   Defense is a team issue.   Chuck Daly's used to talk about the fact that everybody can play defense because defense is simply putting forth effort to stop your opponent.  What he alluded to but didn't say is that it's much harder for a team to be good defensively than offensively.   Because that requires that everybody be in sync.   It's the area of basketball that requires the most trust and communication.   More than anything, I think that our defense will get better as we go on.  

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, JTB said:

as things stand today our top rebounder Capela who is normally always top 7 in rebounding is not in the top 10.

image.png

I'm not as concerned.   Mainly because we're in a new offense/defense with new personnel playing with him.  

The telling things is;

Last year...  as a team, our total rebounding was 44. 4 rpg.

This year...  as a team, our total rebounding is 44.2 rpg

To me that suggests that CC's numbers may be down but somebody else's is up. 

• Like 2

Well, this was expected as we lack size on the frontcourt. 

JJ and Capela are average in size for their positions, we don’t have a backup PF, we just play Forwards at PF position. OO is small at C, he would be fine at PF but to play C he need a big stretch 5 that can cover his deficiencies, Capela obviously is not that guy. OO cannot play against big Centers.
Overall we have a roster that has flaws, mainly size and strength and the rest of the roster do not compensate the lack of size and strength from Young, Bogi, OO, Bey…. Just Murray, JJ and Hunter have good size for their positions.

• Moderators

Fwiw, Clint’s offensive rebounding % is strong.  Better than usual.

His defensive rebounding % is the worst he’s had in like 7 years.  Overall rough start to the season.  Let’s see how things trend.

1 hour ago, AHF said:

His defensive rebounding % is the worst he’s had in like 7 years.  Overall rough start to the season.  Let’s see how things trend.

He's defending away from the rim more this year than in previous years 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AHF said:

Hopefully it gets better.

5 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

He's defending away from the rim more this year than in previous years 

I was wondering about this but haven’t had the chance to rewatch the games.

So far it seems like a bad idea because even if we get the opponent to miss we are giving up way too many second chances….I wonder if Quinn will switch it up if we keep getting dominated on second chance points and unable to grab board’s defensively.

I must say even though Jalen isn’t a big PF…I’m actually impressed with his rebounding so far this season. I kind of believe Jalen could attack the glass and avg good rebounding at the 3 if given opportunity.

Don’t look now but Hunters rebounding seems to have regressed.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, AHF said:

I would have to wonder about:

1.  The difference in playing in Snyder's defense. 

2.   JJ replacing JC. 

last year Collins tracked down 5.4 drb per game.   This year, JC is 6.4.  I would also think that Hunter's rebounds are up too.   We make a concerted effort to crash the boards.   That means everybody.   Clint's defensive rebounds may be down because he's sharing the wealth with everybody else.   Like I said earlier...   Last year 44.4 rpg.    This year 44.2 rpg.   That's not a significant enough difference to make me think that we have problems with Clint. 

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, gurpilo said:

Well, this was expected as we lack size on the frontcourt. 

JJ and Capela are average in size for their positions, we don’t have a backup PF, we just play Forwards at PF position. OO is small at C, he would be fine at PF but to play C he need a big stretch 5 that can cover his deficiencies, Capela obviously is not that guy. OO cannot play against big Centers.
Overall we have a roster that has flaws, mainly size and strength and the rest of the roster do not compensate the lack of size and strength from Young, Bogi, OO, Bey…. Just Murray, JJ and Hunter have good size for their positions.

While I don't think we have problems with Clint, I do think that we should get or have gotten a big.  What I want for Christmas is a 7 footer.

It doesn't have to be a name brand 7 footer.   Just somebody who can do the job against other 7 footers. 

I would see if Morey would trade us Mo Bamba.

• Premium Member

Clint isnt in drop coverage all the time like last year and hes our only good rebounder tbh.  Its a scheme issue more than anything to me, so I’ll be interested to see how we adjust.  

We’re asking guys that had very limited and focused roles to do a bit more this year— I imagine Quin will make adjustments as the year goes on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Clint isnt in drop coverage all the time like last year and hes our only good rebounder tbh.  Its a scheme issue more than anything to me, so I’ll be interested to see how we adjust.  

We’re asking guys that had very limited and focused roles to do a bit more this year— I imagine Quin will make adjustments as the year goes on.

What I do see is JJ and Sidiq and even Murray to an extent pulling down more boards. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Diesel said:

image.png

Bogi, Hunter, Bey.... Time to get those rebounds up!!!

Among this group I’m going to say Bey is the one who will actually step up . I like Beys aggressiveness with how he approaches the game . Always looks like he putting forth his best efforts.

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, JTB said:

Among this group I’m going to say Bey is the one who will actually step up . I like Beys aggressiveness with how he approaches the game . Always looks like he putting forth his best efforts.

I looked at some numbers for averages.. but still not sure because the numbers I saw were too high.  However, 

Let's say that the NBA Average Reb per game for Sfs = 6.1.

Right now Bey = 5.4 and Dre = 3.7...

So you can say that Bey is not at the average but he's a lot closer than Dre.