• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Jalen Johnson to miss 4-6 weeks!

JayBirdHawk

On 11/27/2023 at 7:42 AM, Atlantaholic said:

We gave up Kevin Huerter and John Collins for  a box of cracker jack's and a diet coke. Pretty depressing. 

I'm pretty convinced that winning in the NBA comes down to having real difference makers in talent at 2 to 3 positions.  Guys who can get done what they want to get done in the pivotal moments of a game, the "winning time".

Guys like Huerter and Collins are good players, and great to have on your team while they are more valuable than their contract.  However, the NBA is full of guys like them:  solid player, on second contract, who is now paid solid player vet money (or more).   We have a bunch of those guys on contract already (Capela, Hunter, Bogdan, Murray, Kong).  What Huerter and Collins can bring to a basketball team is more than replicated by the mid-level players we continue to employ.  You need some guys like that for depth, but you don't need 7 of them.

Stockpiling those mid dudes makes little difference in winning or losing, IMO.  Get what you can for them when the situation dictates that you need to move them along.

We have 1, maybe 2 DUDES on this team.  We need another.  Almost any trade in any combination of replaceable level players that returns a "dude" should and must be considered.  Otherwise we are stuck on the treadmill.

Edited by txsting
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
40 minutes ago, txsting said:

I'm pretty convinced that winning in the NBA comes down to having real difference makers in talent at 2 to 3 positions.  Guys who can get done what they want to get done in the pivotal moments of a game, the "winning time".

Guys like Huerter and Collins are good players, and great to have on your team while they are more valuable than their contract.  However, the NBA is full of guys like them:  solid player, on second contract, who is now paid solid player vet money (or more).   We have a bunch of those guys on contract already (Capela, Hunter, Bogdan, Murray, Kong).  What Huerter and Collins can bring to a basketball team is more than replicated by the mid-level players we continue to employ.  You need some guys like that for depth, but you don't need 7 of them.

Stockpiling those mid dudes makes little difference in winning or losing, IMO.  Get what you can for them when the situation dictates that you need to move them along.

We have 1, maybe 2 DUDES on this team.  We need another.  Almost any trade in any combination of replaceable level players that returns a "dude" should and must be considered.  Otherwise we are stuck on the treadmill.

I don't know, all I know is we need defense, have had a bunch of assets and picks that could have helped us get help on that end and have failed to improve the roster at all. 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, deester11 said:

It's an indictment of epic proportions when the best thing you can say is..."Wait until JJ gets back." Even then, you're a .500 team and the other pieces of this conglomerate called the Hawks, reeks of mediocrity.  In other words...Meh. 

It's hard to know what we are with JJ.   We were learning the system, Trae was slumping, but JJ was playing well.   Had we had JJ over these last 8 games, I can honestly say we would have won at least 6 of them. 

10 minutes ago, Diesel said:

It's hard to know what we are with JJ.   We were learning the system, Trae was slumping, but JJ was playing well.   Had we had JJ over these last 8 games, I can honestly say we would have won at least 6 of them. 

Eh. I'm not sure about that.  It's possible. If's...

The issue still remains that this is an average team at best as constructed. I don't know the answers to a quick turnaround, but JJ alone doesn't do it. Imho

12 minutes ago, deester11 said:

Eh. I'm not sure about that.  It's possible. If's...

The issue still remains that this is an average team at best as constructed. I don't know the answers to a quick turnaround, but JJ alone doesn't do it. Imho

JJ means the transition offense that sucked last year, sucks again without him. Without that, we rely on a lot of ish but things get tough, it's like a lid on the basket. We still got problems but JJ definitely helps our offense and he's superior to Bey on D. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

All were in the rotation with Kev and JC.  

Right.  You "replicate" by replacing someone with an equivalent.  Like if we dumped JC and signed a cheap free agent Paul Millsap that would be replicating (and exceeding) the production at a mid-level price.  When you dump JC and replace him with Wesley Johnson that doesn't happen.  You go from a frontcourt with JJ, Bey, OO, CC, and JC to JJ, Bey, OO and CC.  No replication of JC there.

• Like 2