• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks looking to trade

Vol4ever

• Premium Member

I see some of y'all are trying to talk yourself into Grimes.

Plus we'd probably get the shittiest of the picks that NY owns from other teams.

2024 first round draft pick from Dallas
Dallas' 1st round pick to New York protected for selections 1-10 in 2024 and 1-10 in 2025; if Dallas has not conveyed a 1st round pick to New York by 2025, then Dallas will instead convey its 2025 2nd round pick to New York [Dallas-New York,

2024 first round draft pick from Detroit

Detroit's 1st round pick to New York protected for selections 1-18 in 2024, 1-13 in 2025, 1-11 in 2026 and 1-9 in 2027; if Detroit has not conveyed a 1st round pick to New York by 2027, then Detroit will instead convey its 2027 2nd round pick to New York (via Houston to Oklahoma City) [Detroit-Houston, 11/24/2020; Houston-Oklahoma City, 7/30/2021; New York-Oklahoma City, 6/23/2022]

2024 first round draft pick from Washington
Washington's 1st round pick to New York protected for selections 1-12 in 2024, 1-10 in 2025 and 1-8 in 2026; if Washington has not conveyed a 1st round pick to New York by 2026, then Washington will instead convey its 2026 2nd round pick and 2027 2nd round pick to New York (via Houston to Oklahoma City) [Houston-Washington, 12/2/2020; Houston-Oklahoma City, 7/30/2021; New York-Oklahoma City, 6/23/2022

2025 first round draft pick from Milwaukee

Milwaukee's 2025 1st round pick to New Orleans protected for selections 5-30 or to New York protected for selections 1-4 (Milwaukee's obligation to New Orleans or New York will thereafter be extinguished) (via New Orleans to Portland to Detroit to New York) [Denver-Milwaukee-New Orleans-Oklahoma City, 11/23/2020; New Orleans-Portland, 2/8/2022; Detroit-Portland, 7/6/2022; Detroit-New York, 7/6/2022]

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

Ya'll are literally the opposite of the Canadians.. Always downplaying our return here while up there they think an expiring turns into 6 FRP's.

Just now, ShooterSays said:

BKN is the NY team we should be dealing with. Has a young player I covet (Claxton) and a plethora of picks after the Kyrie/KD trades.

The only player worth Murray is Bridges. That's a fact.

Seems to me that if to The Knicks is where he goes then he may have got an agreement to say where he can get traded when he signed that extension - thus reducing the trade worth to the Hawks, and another example of terrible GM-management of the team's resources when they overpaid to get him.

I expect the info Sothron will provide after the trade may be related to something like this.

Edited by mountainjim
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

Ya'll are literally the opposite of the Canadians.. Always downplaying our return here while up there they think an expiring turns into 6 FRP's.

Why would BKN do that though?  Bridges and Murray are probably comparable all-around players, but Bridges plays better defense and is a much harder archetype to find.

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

1 month to the TDL. Buckle up guys.

Did we ever figure out exactly when Murray is eligible to be traded?  Is it the 10th?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

The allure of DJM for BKN is most likely pairing him with Bridges.

But, a couple of their picks, especially that upcoming Phoenix unprotected FRP, could go a long way in helping us land another star to put around Trae and JJ who fits Quin’s scheme better. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
37 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Why would BKN do that though?  Bridges and Murray are probably comparable all-around players, but Bridges plays better defense and is a much harder archetype to find.

Did we ever figure out exactly when Murray is eligible to be traded?  Is it the 10th?

Hawks announced the signing on the 9th, posted the signing video on the 10th.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, JeffS17 said:

100%, this is really why we went from ECF to perennial play-in team.  Trae got all the marketing for his showmanship (deservedly so), but it was our bench that carried us in that playoff run, along with CC being at DPOY level.  And we were able to stock a nice bench because Trae, JC, Kevin, OO, Hunter, and Cam were all on their rookie scale contracts.  We had more money coming off the bench than in our starting lineup... Gallo $20M, Bogi $18M, Snell $12M, Lou Will $8M.  That's nearly a $60M bench unit... 

download.jpg.082f4e138a2103a022e972619529e0b3.jpg

7 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

We are not getting Bridges ... DJM is not enough value.  His trade value is star level.  

However, Trae Murphy III is Mikal Bridges lite ... grab him before his value really becomes known.

I prefer Jones but would love either.  I could see Murphy being available since they can't pay him and Jones most likely.  Rich people prollems.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AHF said:

Who is talking about the 11th man?

Total Minutes:

#9 Garrison Mathews: 0.2 Win Shares  🤮

#10 Wesley Matthews: 0.0 Win Shares  🤮

#11 AJ Griffin:  -0.1 Win Shares (Season derailed for personal reasons and crazy bad play so far this year - I won't call it regression because I doubt he has ever shot the ball this poorly at any level in his entire life so this isn't regressing to some former bad state)  :sad:

#12 Trent Forrest:  0.0 Win Shares (G-League Player who can give you a couple minutes of solid D. Mario West vibes in terms of impact more than Thabo vibes.)  :tumbleweed:  (

#13 Patty Mills: 0.0 Win Shares 👨‍🍳

#14 Bruno Fernando:  0.0 Win Shares 🤷‍♂️  

#15 Seth Lundy:  -0.1 Win Shares :tumbleweed:

#16 Mouhamed Gueye:  0.0 Win Shares :tumbleweed:

#17 Kobe Bufkin:  0.0 Win Shares :tumbleweed:  (Is anyone surprised that a kid who couldn't get minutes in the Big 10 as a freshman has had trouble finding his way into the rotation in his first NBA season?  Not me.)

#9-17 TOTAL:  0.0 Win Shares

AHF Challenge:  Find a single team in the entire NBA that has put together as few win shares with the #9+ spots on their roster by minutes played as the Hawks have.  The Hawks should have a bonus since Hunter and JJ have been hurt so much this year opening up more time for our deeper bench players.  Easy right?

AHF Bonus Challenge:  You don't have to compare against just the current NBA.  You can expand your pool of teams to the last 30 years of the NBA to find teams who had less production from the players outside of their top 8.  Of course, you get to discount  the production on those teams from prior years since we have only played 35 of 82 games this season.  So discount that other team's production by that same amount and then post the long list of teams worse than the Hawks.  30 years should be easy to find 10 teams much worse, right?  That allows you to pick the worst team from every 3 seasons of play.  Surely that will be an easy hurdle to jump.

I'll wait.

Let me answer your challenge with a question.  I only looked at the two top teams in the east Boston and Milwaukee.  Each team only has 6 guys paid more than $4M/yr, Milwaukee it's actually more like $3M/yr. 

Why do you think they find so many contributors at $4M/yr or less to put them at the top of the conference?  Why can't we find winning players at salary slots 7-15 at the same salaries they are paying?  

...Or is it that paying big salaries to players 7-15 for a "well stocked bench" isn't actually a formula for winning?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I see some of y'all are trying to talk yourself into Grimes.

Plus we'd probably get the shittiest of the picks that NY owns from other teams.

2024 first round draft pick from Dallas
Dallas' 1st round pick to New York protected for selections 1-10 in 2024 and 1-10 in 2025; if Dallas has not conveyed a 1st round pick to New York by 2025, then Dallas will instead convey its 2025 2nd round pick to New York [Dallas-New York,

2024 first round draft pick from Detroit

Detroit's 1st round pick to New York protected for selections 1-18 in 2024, 1-13 in 2025, 1-11 in 2026 and 1-9 in 2027; if Detroit has not conveyed a 1st round pick to New York by 2027, then Detroit will instead convey its 2027 2nd round pick to New York (via Houston to Oklahoma City) [Detroit-Houston, 11/24/2020; Houston-Oklahoma City, 7/30/2021; New York-Oklahoma City, 6/23/2022]

2024 first round draft pick from Washington
Washington's 1st round pick to New York protected for selections 1-12 in 2024, 1-10 in 2025 and 1-8 in 2026; if Washington has not conveyed a 1st round pick to New York by 2026, then Washington will instead convey its 2026 2nd round pick and 2027 2nd round pick to New York (via Houston to Oklahoma City) [Houston-Washington, 12/2/2020; Houston-Oklahoma City, 7/30/2021; New York-Oklahoma City, 6/23/2022

2025 first round draft pick from Milwaukee

Milwaukee's 2025 1st round pick to New Orleans protected for selections 5-30 or to New York protected for selections 1-4 (Milwaukee's obligation to New Orleans or New York will thereafter be extinguished) (via New Orleans to Portland to Detroit to New York) [Denver-Milwaukee-New Orleans-Oklahoma City, 11/23/2020; New Orleans-Portland, 2/8/2022; Detroit-Portland, 7/6/2022; Detroit-New York, 7/6/2022]

Not sure I'm trying to talk myself into Grimes.  I'm more trying to comprehend how the move makes any sense at all. 

If Grimes is not a solid POA defender there is no logic.  The only logic is cut salary to sign other free agents next year that better fit Quin's vision.  

Those picks are definitely sketchy.  The Dallas and Milwaukee picks look pretty likely to convey.  The other two are a psychotic gamble.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Let me answer your challenge with a question.  I only looked at the two top teams in the east Boston and Milwaukee.  Each team only has 6 guys paid more than $4M/yr, Milwaukee it's actually more like $3M/yr. 

Why do you think they find so many contributors at $4M/yr or less to put them at the top of the conference?  Why can't we find winning players at salary slots 7-15 at the same salaries they are paying?  

...Or is it that paying big salaries to players 7-15 for a "well stocked bench" isn't actually a formula for winning?

Just my personal opinion.  I think that the second half of a 15-player roster should be a mixture of players on veteran minimum salary and players still on their rookie contract.  This is 7 1/2 players.  That 1/2 player could swing either way!

:bb:

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Random message from one source: tell your pals (they are referring to you here on the squawk) that only Trae and JJ are safe to get in terms of Hawks jerseys for now. everyone else on the roster has been made available to trade.

I did order a JJ jersey after this so....

Is any team actually interested in hunter? It seems like every deal we've tried with him we get shot down, and that was before he was injured. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

When I'm trying to enjoy a basketball game, I don't care how much the people are paid.  I care how much they contribute. Do you really think I crap on whether Thabo was important to our team just because he was only getting paid ~$4M per year?  No.  He was essential to our previous ECF run.  He didn't need to be paid $20M.  (In an ideal world, those bench players would be paid as little as possible so there is more money for other contributors). 

If we had players on our bench who could contribute we would be doing much better.    That is what we had when he made the ECF despite suffering multiple massive injuries that season.  

Boston has 13 players who exceed both the highest individual total and the sum total Win Shares of our 9-17 players.  Place them in whatever order you want, that team is more big salary focused than we are and yet has depth that puts our bench to shame.  Our front office failed to deliver depth on this team despite having $10M  of room under the tax line and two massive exceptions to do so.  

I can tell  you why you didn't actually answer my challenge.  Because this bench is epically terrible and it has been a big factor in ruining this season.

• Thanks 2