• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks looking to trade

Vol4ever

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

Update not expecting anything to happen imminently. A framework has been agreed on with a team but they are mulling whether that decision is worth it for djm or a lateral move. Another suitor has entered the fold as well offering multiple picks and a player that could be moved in a third team. 

What else do you know about this trade and do you know the trade partner?

• Premium Member

I actually wouldn't hate selling DJ if we can get two real firsts.  Bring back some mid-tier guys and see who buys into Quin's system.  Start playing rooks and AJ more and weed out those who aren't buying in this offseason, in addition to consolidating those picks for better talent.  Easier said than done, and it certainly depends who we can get back in the trade for DJ, but that's probably our best path forward right now. 

1 hour ago, Packfill said:

Dallas is starting Derrick Jones Jr. a journeyman and, when he was healthy, giving rotational minutes to Dante Exum, who washed out of the NBA for a couple of years.  Both are basically minimum salary guys like the Matthews.  

Murray avg almost as much as Kyrie and the same amount of assists and 3 pt %..(21 and 5 for Murray on 40% 3pt)).  

CC avg more rebounds than Lively and same amount of blocks..

Luka is just a way better player all around

Some Hawks fans will NEVER admit it. .

Its comical at this point..

NO GM(past or present) in the NBA is taking Tiny Trae over Luka Doncic.. lol

Hell, even Schlenk was ready to move on..... 

That says ALOT

Edited by terrell
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, AHF said:

Are we really trying to compare these guys? 

One is 26.  One is 37.

Look at the production per minute, look at the shooting:

image.png

Look at the metrics:

image.png

Both guys may be low dollar players but let's not at all pretend like these guys are equivalent.  The comparison goes the same way for Garrison except he is younger.

Derrick Jones Jr. isn't just better this season he is worlds better.  We would absolutely be better served if we had him on our roster in place of either of them.

Our problem isn't their low salary.  It is their uselessness on the floor.

Obviously the production is different.  My point was that the Hawks could do a lot better filling out their roster.  

I doubt Dallas was expecting Derrick Jones Jr. or Dante Exum to play big roles when the season started.  

50 minutes ago, AHF said:

Are we really trying to compare these guys? 

One is 26.  One is 37.

Look at the production per minute, look at the shooting:

image.png

Look at the metrics:

image.png

Both guys may be low dollar players but let's not at all pretend like these guys are equivalent.  The comparison goes the same way for Garrison except he is younger.

Derrick Jones Jr. isn't just better this season he is worlds better.  We would absolutely be better served if we had him on our roster in place of either of them.

Our problem isn't their low salary.  It is their uselessness on the floor.

Ok give Trae Exum and DJ Jr and we're still ass.....

Edited by terrell

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, Packfill said:

My point was that the Hawks could do a lot better filling out their roster.  

:clap:

I'm fully on board with you about that.  We absolutely dropped the ball this offseason.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Diesel said:

Nawl...

If we're picking for another team, we're picking for another team.. not for us.  I am fervently sure that if we had not traded with the Griz, Shane Battier would have been our pick. 

Secondly, you added Nique to the equation.  Nique wasn't a draft day trade as I recall.  I believe Dominique was the first player to pull a Stevie Franchise and Utah Traded him a few days later. 

It was a couple days later but it was in the works on draft day.  I believe Terry Furlow was in that deal?  Can't remember.   

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

Things have changed but I thought the 15th was the day.  All I can figure is other teams have gotten involved.   

Most trades happen close to the deadline.  If something happens earlier great, but I'm not holding my breath that anything big happens right now.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, GameTime said:

Original article plus more talking points:

Trae is one of the league’s best at feeding easy shots to bigs, which would allow Wemby to score off of rolls and cuts on a regular basis. This season, Young has also embraced playing with more off-ball movement under Quin Snyder. If he was paired with a big with playmaking skills (like Wembanyama), then he could become even more potent in handoff and two-man actions. Together, they could be one of the league’s most powerful duos on offense. And on defense, Young is playing harder than ever; he’s small and will be targeted in the playoffs, but there’s no better antidote for a weaker defender than to have Wembanyama protecting the paint.

No team has a greater need for a point guard than the Spurs, making them an intriguing landing spot for Young. The biggest question, though, is whether Gregg Popovich would want Trae, an unproven system fit, over Murray, who made significant strides with the franchise—or the alternatives of building through the draft or targeting an entirely different player in a trade. Linking back up with Murray right now wouldn’t be the worst decision for the Spurs. But the chance to swipe right on Trae is worth the wait.

I wouldn’t expect Young and the Hawks to seek a trade ahead of next month’s deadline. It’s too soon. Young and Hawks head coach Quin Snyder get along great, and it’s not as if the team isn’t without any silver linings, with Johnson blossoming into a two-way force. The focus is on flipping Murray, accumulating assets, and seeing where they land—first following the deadline, and then in the draft. Young is dealing with a left calf contusion, so if the team keeps dropping games, maybe it’ll even decide to sit him to tank games to improve its lottery odds. The 2024 class lacks a no-brainer star, but a top pick would help grease a trade to bolster the team around Young. If Atlanta’s future doesn’t look promising soon, though, then the Hawks and Young may mutually decide it’s for the best to part ways.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2024/1/15/24038442/nba-trade-rumors-deadline-spurs-lakers-dejounte-murray-trae-young

• Thanks 2

• Premium Member

Updates:

Other teams jumped in on the 15th. We have a framework for a trade in place, just depends on the other team willing to pay the price for Murray. 

Other teams jumped in on Murray as well as other players. I do not think hawks fans will love the return on the players I'm hearing the most about being moved (DJM, Capela, Hunter)  because it definitely sounds like first rounders and not actual real talent is coming back in trades. More like expiring contracts tied to first round picks. 

Late pushes include Detroit, Knicks, Nets, Kings and two teams not allowed to name in public.

• Thanks 3