• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks looking to trade

Vol4ever

5 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I don't think that chart was clear.  These are the picks the Nets Owe to other teams:

1. Brooklyn Nets:

• 2024: To Houston Rockets.
    • 2025: Own pick or Houston Rockets’ pick (via swap if certain conditions are met).
    • 2026: To Houston Rockets.
    • 2027: Own pick or Houston Rockets’ pick (via swap).
    • 2028: Two most favorable picks from Brooklyn, Philadelphia 76ers (if certain conditions are met), and Phoenix Suns.
    • 2029 and beyond: Own picks1.

I can't dig through their picks now...but there's gotta be some value in there somewhere after the KD and Kyrie trades.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, ShooterSays said:

unless you want to trade Trae and tank

Tanking is when you intentionally lose.  We wouldn't be doing that regardless because we don't have our own picks.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, AHF said:

These removed major risks that could have gone bad on their own, and we are still here worried about having given away the farm at a time when we could be struggling to win games the next few seasons.  

You're not accounting for the new CBA, which frankly ownership and FO should have been privy to drafts of.  But picks are worth more now.  And we gave a lot away for DJ...

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Tanking is when you intentionally lose.  We wouldn't be doing that regardless because we don't have our own picks.

I think the idea of us intentionally tanking this season has been thrown out there with the idea that our front office would pull levers this offseason to try to get back to competing next year.  That is a difficult needle to thread.  I agree with you and others that we already pot committed ourselves to not tanking the next few years so let's keep trying to put together a winning team that better fits Quin's desired roster.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, AHF said:

I was worried about the risk of sending out unprotected picks when the trade was happening.  Hate to see my concerns reaching this level of heightened concern in actuality especially after:  (a) DM improved his scoring efficiency significantly since he started playing with Trae , (b) DM has mostly maintained his level of play from his last year with the Spurs (better as a scorer, worse as a defender/rebounder/playmaker but overall not that far apart) and (b) DM signed a team friendly deal.  These removed major risks that could have gone bad on their own, and we are still here worried about having given away the farm at a time when we could be struggling to win games the next few seasons.  

Definitely agree.  The Hawks have to get fair value in any Murray trade.  He is an All-Star caliber player.  They shouldn't be in a rush to just accept anything.

• Like 4

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

You're not accounting for the new CBA, which frankly ownership and FO should have been privy to drafts of.  But picks are worth more now.  And we gave a lot away for DJ...

I wasn't accounting for it back when I made those posts but I wasn't privy to it at that time.  I am not fully on the same page as you with regard to the value of late first round picks but that is a different topic.  We both agree that high first round picks are golden.  And we are at risk of having to give some of those away the next few years if we don't make the right moves during this critical time.  Landry has to get it right.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, kg01 said:

I'm confused, Jody.  Per the eggsperts in the media, Trae is trash.  A bad person, a selfish player, and someone a coach like Pop wouldn't want around.

..... but him to SAS makes sense?

Weird. 

Lol, the only trash I've seen are the "eggsperts" agenda driven takes on him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Jody23 said:

Definitely agree.  The Hawks have to get fair value in any Murray trade.  He is an All-Star caliber player.  They shouldn't be in a rush to just accept anything.

Whether he is an "All-Star caliber player" is not a semantic game that I think is particularly important.  What is important is that he is a desirable trade piece and maybe the most desirable one on the market this year.  He is signed to a team friendly deal and under control for years to come.  There is no rush and we can't screw this up and fail to maximize this trade if we hope for anything good to come to this team in the foreseeable future.  Fair value is the minimum the FO can do with this.  A Grimes and a first type of trade would be a crime against the fan base.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member
Just now, AHF said:

Whether he is an "All-Star caliber player" is not a semantic game that I think is particularly important.  What is important is that he is a desirable trade piece and maybe the most desirable one on the market this year.  He is signed to a team friendly deal and under control for years to come.  There is no rush and we can't screw this up and fail to maximize this trade if we hope for anything good to come to this team in the foreseeable future.  Fair value is the minimum the FO can do with this.  A Grimes and a first type of trade would be a crime against the fan base.

But, if they do mess this up...yikes.

• Sad 1

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, ShooterSays said:

I can't dig through their picks now...but there's gotta be some value in there somewhere after the KD and Kyrie trades.

From Sixers: Top-8-protected 2027 first-round pick, sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski. That pick would remain top-8 protected in 2028, and will turn into two second-round picks -- and $2 million in cash

From Suns:

first-round picks (2023, 2025, 2027 and 2029) and a first-round pick swap in 2028 from Phoenix, 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

From Sixers: Top-8-protected 2027 first-round pick, sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski. That pick would remain top-8 protected in 2028, and will turn into two second-round picks -- and $2 million in cash

From Suns:

first-round picks (2023, 2025, 2027 and 2029) and a first-round pick swap in 2028 from Phoenix, 

From Dallas as well: The Brooklyn Nets are trading Kyrie Irving to the Dallas Mavericks for Spencer Dinwiddie, Dorian Finney-Smith, a 2029 unprotected first-round pick

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, AHF said:

But we don't have assets of any real value is the problem. No one is giving us upgrades for our disappointing players. At least in the draft we have a shot in hell at getting something. If we get picks at least we can bundle them together. Adding Vicuvik or Valenciunas isn't moving the needle, and that's as good of a player as we can hope for. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

And this is what I can't stand about our front office approach.

We refuse to add pieces and let go of "precious project players", in order to put better players around Trae.  Instead, the option is to blow it up AGAIN, and wait 5 years for us to get better.

Meanwhile, the media and talking heads are going to do all they can to get Trae out of ATL.

When in her entire career has Rachel Nichols did some sort of feature piece about what Trae Young should do?  And where in the hell did Boogie Cousins come from all of a sudden?  He has hot takes on Trae's career?

These guys F'd up big time, thinking that Clint and 12 were worth keeping as vital role players, instead of flipping.

Like I told people in the summer, 2026 is fast approaching.  You sell off any and everything not named Jalen Johnson, in order to construct a better fitting team that matches their skill sets.  And don't worry about "winning" a damn trade.  Just get better fitting pieces in here ASAP.

Trading Murray for draft picks is going to turn out to be a disaster, because those draft picks aren't going to turn into lottery players.  They're going to turn into more mediocre talent.  So if you don't IMMEDIATELY have a plan to flip those draft picks to bring in more significant players, we're dead in the water.

Here is some real shit I'm about to say.  And I'm sorry if this comes off too harsh.

With everything going on in the world right now, and with some of us on this very board who are 50, 60, 70, 80, almost 90 years old on this forum . . . some of us may not have another 5 - 10 years on this Earth to wait for the Hawks to finally get it right.

To see this franchise possibly give up building around arguably the 3rd best player in it's history ( behind Petit and Nique ), is beyond maddening for me.

Let go of some of these one-dimensional and/or passive ass role players, and get some real versatile talent in here . . . even if it's young talent that haven't been given a shot to show what they can do.

And Quin, you have 12 months to get this right, once we do change the mix.  The franchise would be idiotic to get rid of the All-Star talent, and keep the coach who has a worse record than Nate as coach of the Hawks.

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Jody23 said:

The Trae hate from the national media has always rang as disingenuous.  They know he's a star.  He just doesn't play for their favored teams and now they're chomping at the bit because they see an opportunity to drive him out of Atlanta.  For the record, I won't blame Trae for looking elsewhere if the Hawks continue the dysfunction.  But, the national media narratives about him have always been a joke.

A complete joke.  And the media always do this.  They would love to see him somewhere in New York, whether it be with the Knicks or in Brooklyn.

What's worse though, is people that watch Trae every game, and have those same opinions.  Not just on this platform, but on other Hawks sites and blogs.

But when you ask them the question of  . . . "how do you fix this or what should we do"?  The answer they can only give, is to SELL for future picks.

How many times are the Hawks are going to push the reset button and blow into the game cartridge, trying to get it to work?

Stop selling to get picks, and get us some vets here who know how to play the game, while mixing them with our young talent.

IT worked once.  It can work again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Sothron said:

The biggest problem we have is Tony Ressler. I have been saying this for years. He meddles in the basketball side. He won't pay the luxury tax. He fired Travis who at least was competent as a GM. He has created a FO where multiple voices are heard which to me is "too many chefs for the soup" approach to running a franchise. 

None of that changes unless he sells the team. The only thing I like about him is that he does want to win but he thinks this team can win without paying the LT. It is just not going to work. 

I agree. That bird-lookin' MFer is one POS. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2