• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks looking to trade

Vol4ever

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I LOVE the strategy of trying to use DJ in the offseason to get KAT.  But Minnesota is by no means dead in the water.  They have a way out of this, only if their new ownership is willing to run it back with a championship caliber squad and if they're willing to pay some tax in the 1st apron.

A 1st round Minnesota flame out is what all Hawks fans need to root for.

are we willing to put all our eggs in that one basket though? then he ends up in NYK?

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Chrimturn said:

And if they did dip into the 2nd apron, they wouldn’t have to pay the penalty until the end of that season.  So they could buy some time….(waiting at least until that years trade deadline)…to figure out how to either get some relief and go back under or come up with a solution on how to pay it.  Is that right?

correct.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

are we willing to put all our eggs in that one basket though? then he ends up in NYK?

It's hard for NY to beat us. Randle isn't wanted around the league. Murray is. OO is more coveted than any Knick outside of OG and Brunson.

Atlanta is willing to move real players that teams who win want. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Chrimturn said:

And if they did dip into the 2nd apron, they wouldn’t have to pay the penalty until the end of that season.  So they could buy some time….(waiting at least until that years trade deadline)…to figure out how to either get some relief and go back under or come up with a solution on how to pay it.  Is that right?

Yes and no. They will instantly be hit without a taxpayer MLE. Meaning all they can sign is vet mins, rookies and draft picks in year 1. As far as penalties. You don't have to pay penalties till the beginning of the next CBA year which is in July. So yes, you have up to the end of June to get your ass out of the 2nd apron. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Chrimturn said:

Correct.

They are by no means dead in the water, if they're willing to pay just 1st apron tax.

As big of a playoff drought that team has had, to immediately break up that team after a deep playoff run, would devastate that entire fan base.

0 playoff series wins since 2004 - 05 . . . and only 3 playoff appearances during that time.

Ownership will get killed, if they immediately broke up a title contender.

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Correct.

They are by no means dead in the water, if they're willing to pay just 1st apron tax.

As big of a playoff drought that team has had, to immediately break up that team after a deep playoff run, would devastate that entire fan base.

0 playoff series wins since 2004 - 05 . . . and only 3 playoff appearances during that time.

If we keeping it a buck, they are technically going to the playoffs with a team that's worth next year, 225 million dollars. That's like those previous Golden State teams. That's damn near cheating. OKC going to be like this in a year or two. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

It's hard for NY to beat us. Randle isn't wanted around the league. Murray is. OO is more coveted than any Knick outside of OG and Brunson.

Atlanta is willing to move real players that teams who win want. 

If Minny is unloading KAT because his $49m salary puts them over the second apron, would they want a package that includes guys like Murray ($25m) and OO ($14m) since that would not result in much of a cap savings?  I guess they would not need to bring back Conley so is that where the savings comes from? 

If the Hawks don't get rid of other salaries would adding KAT but the Hawks into the tax too?  

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

LOL . . of course not.

This front office does deals like a Spades player who wouldn't go "10" holding a hand like this, even if his/her partner told him that they they can get 3 "books/tricks".

image.png.6904967c2aa804546d37ae115916819b.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

LOL . . of course not.

This front office does deals like a Spades player who wouldn't go "10" holding a hand like this, even if his/her partner told him that they they can get 3 "books/tricks".

Or they would say they could get "7" with a hand like this.

image.png.bee81666ee0933e4ba1e4ecd2ebaf6cd.png

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Correct.

Not to mention the multiple losing seasons KAT has endured.  Finally have something brewing and it’s, “Thanks for sticking around kid.  Good luck out there”.  Talk about a slap in the face.  That’s how the cookie crumbles though I guess.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Packfill said:

If Minny is unloading KAT because his $49m salary puts them over the second apron, would they want a package that includes guys like Murray ($25m) and OO ($14m) since that would not result in much of a cap savings?  I guess they would not need to bring back Conley so is that where the savings comes from? 

If the Hawks don't get rid of other salaries would adding KAT but the Hawks into the tax too?  

They aren't going to have room to bring back Conley period. His Offensive and defensive rating is insane right now. He's the top FA on the market at PG. He's gonna get the full MLE or even more like 20 million. 

They don't have a single PG on next year roster and can't afford one either.

This trade would give Minnesota their TPMLE back to get a vet PG who isn't a vet min. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Chrimturn said:

Not to mention the multiple losing seasons KAT has endured.  Finally have something brewing and it’s, “Thanks for sticking around kid.  Good luck out there”.  Talk about a slap in the face.  That’s how the cookie crumbles though I guess.

Only the Hawks would do something like that, which is what they did to Nique back in the day.  Trade him off for fear of him asking for a bigger deal than they wanted to pay.  Thought they were being "smart" by trading for a younger player supposedly on the same level AND giving them a 1st rd pick to complete the deal . . only for him to screw us completely.

I still hate that front office group for what they did to Nique.  He absolutely deserved to see if a top level team that he was on, with no Jordan in the league, could get it done.

If they make a deep run, Minny will do right by KAT and their fan base.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Packfill said:

If it's all about being under the 1st apron. This would be their best route. This would allow you to give Mike Conley the full MLE. 

fanspo-nba-trade-machine-snap_1-18-2024_5-33-52PM.png

Edited by NBASupes

• Moderators
2 hours ago, warcore said:

no data.... this is similar to the idea of "playing down to your competition"...

As a Hawks fan, I know damn well you're familiar with that. 

or deciding not to study for an exam because you know it's not worth much of your final grade. Just human behaviors...

@warcore - I think you accurately capture fan interest but look at it from the perspective of a scout.  In a draft with Tim Duncan, there is zero chance you get to unearth the best player from that draft class.  That is already sown up and only one team has any shot at him.  

But in a draft class where there isn't a clear top player there is opportunity for the scout to be the person who discovers and champions the best player in the entire draft class.  That is how you advance your career.  That is how you fulfil your self-interest.  You do it by landing the next Giannis who wasn't a clear top guy but became one.  You don't make your name by figuring out that Shaq is the best guy in his draft class.  I can do that from my couch.  Even in drafts with multiple elite prospects, there just isn't a realistic possibility for scouts to surpass those guys - you are just trying not to screw up as in the LeBron, Wade, Bosh class.  Most teams don't get a shot at those guys because they don't have a top of the draft pick and the odds of the #17 guy surpassing a group of future hall of famers is slim.

So I would say there are all kinds of motivators and opportunities for scouts that just aren't there in a class where the best talent is collected at the top and actually significantly more reason in a draft like that to do everything you can to find that Jimmy Butler, Jokic, etc. underappreciated gem.  It offers a way to stand out from your peers in a big way.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Packfill said:

Minny trading for equal or a little less salary would be very beneficial for them because it would happen before KATs extension kicks in which adds $13M to his annual pay, so it would be a savings for them in the next season avoiding that increase.  They could also request expirings as well like Patty Mills to help stay under the second apron.

The idea theyre going to “do right” by KAT or appease the fan base makes no sense because they will not be able to keep the same roster.  It wont be possible to retain the squad they have now, and it makes waayyyy more sense to trade KAT than anyone else on that roster, including Reid who likes Supes said is on a very good value deal.  And this all lines up with what Sothron has reported and he has a TWolves source.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, thecampster said:

https://hoopshype.com/rumor/lakers-package-for-dejounte-murray-would-include-dangelo-russell/

This is the trade I shared in the Insider thread as the most likely 2 days ago. It still is. This would be a 3 for 3 or 4 for 4 trade with picks coming to Atlanta.

One pick from the Lakers and another pick from a third team that wants D Lo?  I thought the Lakers only have one pick to offer.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

One pick from the Lakers and another pick from a third team that wants D Lo?  I thought the Lakers only have one pick to offer.

Makes me feel like Minny already told ATL they need expirings and picks for KAT in the offseason.  It would make sense to send them OO, bunch of picks, and expiring salaries to help them with cap flexibility.  But maybe Im giving our FO too much credit thinking ahead like that