• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks looking to trade

Vol4ever

13 minutes ago, Dean Walker said:

I’d do this deal and run!

mitchell Robinson is the best offensive rebounder in basketball and top defensive center!

I’d do that and run!

Robinson is out for the season most likely he has no value to me, grimes hasn’t been good and wants a new contract + more PT….and only 1 pick which is probably not even a lottery pick? I’m firing fields if he does that. 

• Premium Member
Just now, LucastheThird said:

I'm not waiting until 2028 to have another contending Hawks team. If the plan is a complete rebuild, then go ahead and trade Trae now. We will waste a generational offensive talent because our stupid owner and his son couldn't let the basketball minds stick to the plan. 

IF the actual plan is a total rebuild, then I don't know how much longer I can be a Hawks fan. I've been here through losing season after losing season. I still buy multi-game ticket packages and season tickets for some years. But I can't go through another rebuild after this. We lucked into one of the most win-win trades with Luka and Trae, and we are just gonna waste his prime years rebuilding and trading away all of his running mates. 

Already gave up on this team when it came out the only reason they traded Huerter was to not pay a little luxury tax. Told me all I needed to know about this ownership group and front office.

• Sad 1

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Mikey said:

If you did this same exercise with the hawks two years ago you would say the same thing. ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN. Not to mention they can't afford that entire roster...

Anything can happen to any team.  But only a foolish team would trade their best assets for returns that only make sense if improbable outcomes pan out.  You don't put $15 down on a bet that stands to pay out $100 only if you pull an ace from a deck of cards.

Smart risk / reward math means the trade needs to make sense with the most likely projected outcomes and then comes with additional reward if things break for the better.  That is how SA structured our deal with them.  DM at that time had one good season, glaring offensive limitations (see his TS%/3pt%), and was a free agent in two years.  The return we gave at that time was fair if we were as good as expected but carried upside if things went south.

The returns you keep mentioning are TERRIBLE if things play out as you would project in the most likely scenarios.  The only way they get to fair or profitable is if outlier outcomes happen in favor of the Hawks.  That would be really foolish.

The hawks team built around trae is dead. This era is dead. It died years ago when they made that trade. You guys need to start accepting that and prepare for a future without him. Their best path to ever winning anything is to rebuild completely. And I am positive they will have long conversations about this this summer. It might not happen now but in 2026 I would be almost positive trae is off the roster. They are recouping picks for the future. They know this team isn't and won't be a contender

I can believe this which means the team is not at all serious about winning and will be terrible for many years to come.  I can't support a front office that leans into that outcome.

• Like 4

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, GThawks3 said:

Robinson is out for the season most likely he has no value to me, grimes hasn’t been good and wants a new contract + more PT….and only 1 pick which is probably not even a lottery pick? I’m firing fields if he does that. 

Robinson is the type of asset I'd wouldn't mind seeing us get back in these types of trades.  He isn't playing this year but he should be back next season on a reasonable contract.

He shouldn't cost all that much given the injury risk with him (he hasn't played in 37% of games through his 6 years) but we don't need him to be good this year as long as he can contribute next year.  

I'm not ok with CC+DM for Grimes, Robinson and first round pick that is projected to be a late first round placement but if we are going to focus on next year then trading CC and filler for Robinson and Fournier would be an interesting idea (for example).

• Like 3

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Already gave up on this team when it came out the only reason they traded Huerter was to not pay a little luxury tax. Told me all I needed to know about this ownership group and front office.

3 minutes ago, deester11 said:

This team is always going to fool themselves into thinking a player can be kept one year or more longer than the vision calls for.  If that's the case, you have no vision.  Clint should have been jettisoned last year, Hunter last year, JC peak value was the year before.  When does it ever end? 

IMB_20180908094136_ZaMF.gif

The fundamental issue was that our FO thought we had a contender because of that surprise ECF run, when we did not in fact have a contender.  It's why we have held on to players too long, and it's why we avoided a small tax bill -- it made a ton of sense to me to grab a future first for Heurter at the time because we didn't have a spot for him in the rotation with Bogi/Murray at SG.  And it wouldn't make sense to start the luxury tax timer for a third string SG.  That's cus we thought we were about to enter a few year run where we are contending.  That Heurter move made sense to me at the time and frankly, it looks really good in hindsight we got a first for him.

• Like 1

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, LucastheThird said:

I'm not waiting until 2028 to have another contending Hawks team. If the plan is a complete rebuild, then go ahead and trade Trae now. We will waste a generational offensive talent because our stupid owner and his son couldn't let the basketball minds stick to the plan. 

IF the actual plan is a total rebuild, then I don't know how much longer I can be a Hawks fan. I've been here through losing season after losing season. I still buy multi-game ticket packages and season tickets for some years. But I can't go through another rebuild after this. We lucked into one of the most win-win trades with Luka and Trae, and we are just gonna waste his prime years rebuilding and trading away all of his running mates. 

If people with the team read this board, I hope they read this post.

You won't be alone in reacting like this.

black-girls-rock-we-stand-with-you.gif

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

8 minutes ago, AHF said:

Robinson is the type of asset I'd wouldn't mind seeing us get back in these types of trades.  He isn't playing this year but he should be back next season on a reasonable contract.

He shouldn't cost all that much given the injury risk with him (he hasn't played in 37% of games through his 6 years) but we don't need him to be good this year as long as he can contribute next year.  

I'm not ok with CC+DM for Grimes, Robinson and first round pick that is projected to be a late first round placement but if we are going to focus on next year then trading CC and filler for Robinson and Fournier would be an interesting idea (for example).

Yeah sorry I’m not doing that. I need at least one high ceiling asset. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

The fundamental issue was that our FO thought we had a contender because of that surprise ECF run, when we did not in fact have a contender.  It's why we have held on to players too long, and it's why we avoided a small tax bill -- it made a ton of sense to me to grab a future first for Heurter at the time because we didn't have a spot for him in the rotation with Bogi/Murray at SG.  And it wouldn't make sense to start the luxury tax timer for a third string SG.  That's cus we thought we were about to enter a few year run where we are contending.  That Heurter move made sense to me at the time and frankly, it looks really good in hindsight we got a first for him.

I agree with a lot of this but (hear me out). The underachieving after that run was almost immediate.  You can fool yourself up to a point but contingency plans should have been in place for injuries, underperforming personnel, coaching,  and altering projections based on need.  I agreed with the Huerter trade for the need, not the execution or reasoning.  But the same FO decided that 3 years of dangling JC was the thing to do as well.  The construction of the team perhaps could been fixed by Travis but he missed in a few areas too.  I'm just saying for ONCE..please...be the bride and not the bridesmaid.

• Like 2

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, GThawks3 said:

Yeah sorry I’m not doing that. I need at least one high ceiling asset. 

I fully agree but you get that asset in your trade of Dejounte Murray.  I'm just saying that I would be thinking about guys who are hurt this year but who can be impactful when they return in the future.  Mitchell Robinson, Robert Williams, etc. come to mind.  You don't trade DM for those guys.  You trade other assets for them if you want to get your own lottery pick this year and have a new rotation for next year.  This also ties out to Mikey's comment about buying low because the trade value for guys who are out for the rest of the year with injuries should have depressed values due to that injury history - you also won't be competing for them with any team that cares about winning this season.

Trading Murray has to get you back something significant or you shouldn't trade him now.  We aren't like Toronto where we are basically looking to rebuild on the fly and if we suck then we add a lottery pick.  We don't own our own picks so we are pot committed to trying to succeed for the next couple of years or we are monumentally stupid enough to decide to tank when we don't even own our own picks.  Has any team ever done that before?  It is one thing to trade away picks and end up garbage ala the Nets with Garnett and PP but wholly another to trade away your picks, still be in "play-in" status, and then instead of trying to flip players for better fits decide to submarine the whole thing and just feed lottery picks to the Spurs.

So I'm trading DM if the value is there and holding him until it materializes otherwise (similar to what Toronto did with Siakam).  Players like CC don't have the same expected return in a trade so if you are going to basically flip him for Mitchell Robinson in next year's rotation I'm good with that.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

He had 31 last night

30 minutes ago, deester11 said:

This team is always going to fool themselves into thinking a player can be kept one year or more longer than the vision calls for.  If that's the case, you have no vision.  Clint should have been jettisoned last year, Hunter last year, JC peak value was the year before.  When does it ever end? 

IMB_20180908094136_ZaMF.gif

It doesn't ever end with the Hawks organization 

• Sad 1

• Premium Member

The Murray buzz is only increasing — and to noisy levels. The Lakers and Hawks have discussed potential frameworks of a deal, including a version late last week that centered on Russell, Hood-Schifino, the 2029 first-round pick and additional draft compensation, according to multiple team and league sources. Talks have since stalled, but are expected to pick back up closer to the deadline.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

The Murray buzz is only increasing — and to noisy levels. The Lakers and Hawks have discussed potential frameworks of a deal, including a version late last week that centered on Russell, Hood-Schifino, the 2029 first-round pick and additional draft compensation, according to multiple team and league sources. Talks have since stalled, but are expected to pick back up closer to the deadline.

Just ugh. Somebody on that nose candy...

F403CA95-3870-42C9-9B2F-525300AE641D.gif