• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks looking to trade

Vol4ever

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

Why trade the non problem on the team…

Trae and JJ and DJ are good talents and something you build on

our front court sucks

I never thought we should’ve traded DJ… only the closet laker and Knicks fans on this forum did. He is good enough for them but not for us.

I don't think anyone here thinks we shouldn't trade DJ assuming we can upgrade the other positions without doing so.  But therein lies the rub -- DJ is the most valuable piece to get meaningful front court/wing upgrades onto the roster.  And he plays the same position as Trae so if we can get an equally talented player back that fits much better, we're in a much better position.  But if we can't, absolutely keep him on the roster.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, georgia said:

Marc Stein says Quinn doesn’t want to trade DJ

Well, there goes another wrench into things.   This needs be a movie.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, JeffS17 said:

I don't think anyone here thinks we shouldn't trade DJ assuming we can upgrade the other positions without doing so.  But therein lies the rub -- DJ is the most valuable piece to get meaningful front court/wing upgrades onto the roster.  And he plays the same position as Trae so if we can get an equally talented player back that fits much better, we're in a much better position.  But if we can't, absolutely keep him on the roster.

There are ways to acquire defensively minded better wings and frontcourt players while keeping Trae and DJ

why that hasn’t happened yet is beyond me

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
Just now, theheroatl said:

There are ways to acquire defensively minded better wings and frontcourt players while keeping Trae and DJ

Can you name those different ways?  I want to separate theory from practice here, because I genuinely don't know what we could do.  Teams don't just accept lesser players to send out better ones...not unless you attach picks we don't have to give out.

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

My assumption is you’re not gonna get into a bidding war for Niang AND pursue Siakam while also having Jalen and Bey.  Especially when you just had to cut long term salaries because your future commitments are so bloated you gave away Collins.

The tax number for this year is a side issue.  Niang shouldn’t hardly get PT if we land Siakam.  Why overpay for a guy in that case?

That makes sense specific to a power forward.  It makes a lot less sense for wing defenders considering we are short on them as is and the plan was to trade Hunter for Siakam which would have left us with a big hole in that area.

• Like 1

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, GameTime said:

Over / under on when he is next out?  Is March 1 too soon?  Too far out?  Not sure how to handicap this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Moderators
Just now, Spud2nique said:

One dunk! Under! 

One actual dunk or one "The lane is open I'm ready to dunk!!  Oh, ****.  Renowned shortblocker Trae Young is under the basket.  Bail out pass...." play?

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Can you name those different ways?  I want to separate theory from practice here, because I genuinely don't know what we could do.  Teams don't just accept lesser players to send out better ones...not unless you attach picks we don't have to give out.

1) use Bogi as a trading asset to bring in better fitting player(s)

2) use Bey's expiring contract to bring in a better fitting player that may be on a longer term deal 

3) use the dang TPE

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
Just now, TheNorthCydeRises said:

1) use Bogi as a trading asset to bring in better fitting player(s)

2) use Bey's expiring contract to bring in a better fitting player that may be on a longer term deal 

3) use the dang TPE

I think we're talking about different things -- I'm talking about getting in a DJ-level talent on the wing or at PF.  Trading Bogi/Bey or using the MLE isn't going to accomplish that.  These are edge moves, not moves that land a core piece.  Trading DJ should get you a core player to build around with Trae/JJ.

41 minutes ago, georgia said:

Marc Stein says Quinn doesn’t want to trade DJ

But a couple of days somebody said Murray "went rogue" against Quinn.  Lmao

24 minutes ago, LucastheThird said:

I'm all for keeping DJ and upgrading our front court + bench depth however we can. 

I'm not sure how we do that, but I'm all for this angle if possible. 

but two days ago....lmao

Edited by Hawkmoor

• Premium Member
41 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

Why trade the non problem on the team…

Trae and JJ and DJ are good talents and something you build on

our front court sucks

I never thought we should’ve traded DJ… only the closet laker and Knicks fans on this forum did. He is good enough for them but not for us.

It's not that our frontcourt sucks... because JJ is part of that frontcourt. 

It's that:

1. we are getting nothing but sick notes for the money we spent on Hunter. 
  2. OO plays like we don't need to win. 
  3. CC plays good but he's not great in Quin's schemes because Quin doesn't have a good defense. 

So... This is where we are.

I'm not against trading OO because even if he comes out of this, he's just a BU.  He's too small to be a starting 5 and he doesn't have the automatic scoring that you expect in the pick and roll.   He's still making dumb mistakes.. but yesterday, he did make a really good dunk and had one impressive drive. 

If we trade CC, we need a 5 that can rebound and play defense back. 

I'm not saying that DHunt is coming to save us.. but it's too hard of a road to try to find people to fill his shoes when we have limited money.  It's worst than when we traded for Terrell Brandon.

• Like 1