• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks looking to trade

Vol4ever

8 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

But a couple of days somebody said Murray "went rogue" against Quinn.  Lmao

but two days ago....lmao

Two days ago, I was saying to keep him if no reasonable offers came in for him. I've never been in the DJM must-go at all costs camp. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

1) use Bogi as a trading asset to bring in better fitting player(s)

2) use Bey's expiring contract to bring in a better fitting player that may be on a longer term deal 

3) use the dang TPE

Those options exist for sure, but obviously trading Bogi, Bey or any other rotation player means also needing to replace their minutes.  So if you trade Bogi for a center that is great for the center rotation but means someone needs to step into those minutes at guard (though you would hope the two recent first round picks the Hawks have on their roster would be able to do that).

27 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

I think we're talking about different things -- I'm talking about getting in a DJ-level talent on the wing or at PF.  Trading Bogi/Bey or using the MLE isn't going to accomplish that.  These are edge moves, not moves that land a core piece.  Trading DJ should get you a core player to build around with Trae/JJ.

We just need basic defensive players like WCJ or Drummond or PJ Tucker or some buyout guys.. We have no defensive dogs... I'm talking the basics here. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, AHF said:

That makes sense specific to a power forward.  It makes a lot less sense for wing defenders considering we are short on them as is and the plan was to trade Hunter for Siakam which would have left us with a big hole in that area.

Well, I actually think Siakam, Jalen, and Bey work as a forward trio for PF and SF.  Eight man rotation with a bench of Bey, Bogi, and Okongwu.  

Totally agree with Jeff as usual.  The focus of a third core piece is the highest priority and a glut of $14M/year guys like Thybulle and Niang taking you above the luxury tax makes it harder to land that guy.  Staying leaner until the core is in place is painful, but the right strategy.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, LucastheThird said:

[ ] I fell for it again. 

Fell for what?  The WHOLE NARRATIVE around D.J. and trading him was built on the theory of him and Trae not being able to coexist in the same backcourt.  Its the sole reason Murray is on the trade market.  Why else would you be trading a player averaging 21 points, 5 rebounds and 5 assists a game?  The Trae in the Lakers jersey is a joke but the theory behind getting rid of Murray is not.  No, they are not gonna trade Trae.

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Well, I actually think Siakam, Jalen, and Bey work as a forward trio for PF and SF.  Eight man rotation with a bench of Bey, Bogi, and Okongwu.  

Totally agree with Jeff as usual.  The focus of a third core piece is the highest priority and a glut of $14M/year guys like Thybulle and Niang taking you above the luxury tax makes it harder to land that guy.  Staying leaner until the core is in place is painful, but the right strategy.  

I totally disagree that you have a single solid wing defender in a lingup with Bogi, Siakam, Jalen and Bey.  Hunter is the only one on this year's roster and we've seen what happens when he gets hurt with no backup.  Expecting Siakam, Jalen or Bey to fill that spot is wishful thinking and makes adding Siakam an exercise with a limited ceiling, imo.  

Every team needs multiple guys who can defend wings.  We only have 1 and you have gotten rid of him in that hypothetical Siakam scenario.

(Not sure where you got the $14M number.  We don't have that much room without tripping into the tax unless you envision the Siakam trade as a money saving one for this team which could be done but hasn't been seen in speculative media reports of trade offers.)

53 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

I think we're talking about different things -- I'm talking about getting in a DJ-level talent on the wing or at PF.  Trading Bogi/Bey or using the MLE isn't going to accomplish that.  These are edge moves, not moves that land a core piece.  Trading DJ should get you a core player to build around with Trae/JJ.

Oh. Well they blew that when they didn't close the deal on Siakam.

What I will say is that the 60 win Hawks weren't constructed using mega deals. That was a pieced together squad of guys who may have not have been DJ level talents, but they did at least one thing very well.  From a chemistry standpoint, they had great complimentary talent.

The type of deal you're talking about, would be trading DJ for a guy like Zack Lavine.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Finally some push back put into the media about the Hawks wanting to keep DJ. All it does is give us more hand in trade discussions regardless if it is true or not.

Why would we trade him for trash anyway.

He is our second best player. Can we not use some of these other useless players to get some defensive upgrades?

The whole fake trades and nonsense rumors out there have been flat out lies.

some note is gonna come out in March that the lakers just “checked in back in December on a couple players” but nothing was ever discussed

Edited by theheroatl

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, AHF said:

One actual dunk or one "The lane is open I'm ready to dunk!!  Oh, ****.  Renowned shortblocker Trae Young is under the basket.  Bail out pass...." play?

Let's go into the alternate timeline......  What if he did go up for the shot.. and what if Trae did slap it in the stands.... And the Hawks went on to win.

Would the whole world be saying... "You should have passed!!!"

Would he have still had a nervous breakdown?

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Let's go into the alternate timeline......  What if he did go up for the shot.. and what if Trae did slap it in the stands.... And the Hawks went on to win.

Would the whole world be saying... "You should have passed!!!"

Would he have still had a nervous breakdown?

He would never have been seen again if Trae swatted him into the stands for the win.  Not just never played another meaningful minute.  Literally never seen again.

• Haha 2

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, theheroatl said:

Why would we trade him for trash anyway.

He is our second best player. Can we not use some of these other useless players to get some defensive upgrades?

The whole fake trades and nonsense rumors out there have been flat out lies.

some note is gonna come out in March that the lakers just “checked in back in December on a couple players” but nothing was ever discussed

The lakers interest in DJ is very real. they just don't have a trade package good enough to get him. I'm praying the Hawks are doing what @NBASupes is hearing and going into shut down mode except for Bey for trade offers until the offseason. Much easier to make trades then.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, kg01 said:

Why stop there?  Let's trade for Ant-man instead. :rolleyes: 

I thought those first round picks were everything!?!??

I mean, we would give up an established 20/5/5 player for first round picks.   We're asking them for just one player and an expiring... for 2 established players and a first round pick...   What are you saying?