• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I've been watching the 2024 NBA Draft class and it's been... weaker than usual

NBASupes

• Premium Member

If I'm the Hawks, I'm on the phone with Portland asking for Ayton. Our pick and Capela might not be enough, but I would start there. 

I love the idea of Trae, Jalen, and Ayton on paper, even if he has character concerns. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, aali34 said:

If I'm the Hawks, I'm on the phone with Portland asking for Ayton. Our pick and Capela might not be enough, but I would start there. 

I love the idea of Trae, Jalen, and Ayton on paper, even if he has character concerns. 

Two years ago I would have been psyched for this but Ayton has made me a non-believer.  I think he will eternally frustrate his fans and coaches.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, AHF said:

Two years ago I would have been psyched for this but Ayton has made me a non-believer.  I think he will eternally frustrate his fans and coaches.  

I think playing with Trae and Jalen would keep him happy since he'd get alot of shot attempts. The questionable part would be defense.

Edit: Actually I might pump the breaks on that. The number of shots he's currently getting in Portland wouldn't happen here.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
48 minutes ago, aali34 said:

Ayton is a certified bum who is doing his best to play himself out of the league.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, shakes said:

Ayton is a certified bum who is doing his best to play himself out of the league.

I heard some pretty strong rumors he attended a Ben Simmons seminar this offseason.

- tha Outsiders 

• Haha 3

49 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Ayton will be on a non-max for his next deal, and then probably 1+1s after that.  Eventually teams will give up on turning him into something he isn't

Guy has a decent game every once in a while just to whet people's appetites.  But when you realize that's like 5-6 nights in an 82-game season and the realization hits... the juice ain't worth the squeeze, brate. 

As you said, he (and Simmons) will likely be on 1-year deals once their contracts run out. 

Edited by kg01
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Guy has a decent game every once in a while just to whet people's appetites.  But when you realize that's like 5-6 nights in an 82-game season and the realization hits... the juice ain't worth the squeeze, brate. 

As you said, he (and Simmons) will likely be on 1-year deals once their contracts run out. 

There are two things in play here.  Well, maybe 3.

First, people significantly overestimated Ayton's actual ability to play basketball when he came out of Arizona.  Second, some still don't realize that the type of center Ayton is has essentially been phased out of the NBA game.  At best, he's a 10–15-minute sub who you play in certain match ups.  He's not a perimeter-oriented center.  His athleticism was always overrated.  He can't switch on defense and is a substandard rim protector.  

The third thing that is at play is that some Hawks fans are so set on the idea that you can't be a center unless you are 7-foot tall that they completely ignore the actual ability of the center.  You see it in the Zach Edey thread, where the fact that he isn't a fit for the modern NBA gets completely ignored because "he's big".  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

The third thing that is at play is that some Hawks fans are so set on the idea that you can't be a center unless you are 7-foot tall that they completely ignore the actual ability of the center.  You see it in the Zach Edey thread, where the fact that he isn't a fit for the modern NBA gets completely ignored because "he's big".  

I don’t believe this to be true at all. 
I think many of us are just tired of ONLY having 6-10 and smaller centers that get abused by bigger players. 
OO is great, but it so be nice to have a 7’er on the roster to mix things up. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

I don’t believe this to be true at all. 
I think many of us are just tired of ONLY having 6-10 and smaller centers that get abused by bigger players. 
OO is great, but it so be nice to have a 7’er on the roster to mix things up. 

More about being out-toughed and out-muscled to me than actually height.

• Like 4

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

More about being out-toughed and out-muscled to me than actually height.

For me, this is right on point.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Still wish we could have seen OO play under the effectively new rule set where guys get to play defense.  He naturally plays physically and has been having to awkwardly adjust how he plays not to rack up ticky tacky fouls.  I think if they keep calling games like this, he could take a massive leap next year on the defensive end

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

he could take a massive leap next year on the defensive end

Agreed, he still has 2020 Giannis Embiid stopper in him it’s just been kept in check for a while.

• Like 2

Kyle Flipowski declared as well.

I like him for a big he spreads it. Who is team Flip? I like dudes who stretch the floor at the 5, Pero Antic type days back 😆. You reach I Antic :jesus:

• Haha 1

So what are the new rules again. If we lose the play in to the Bulls or win that but lose the next game (7/8 matchup) we get a possible 10-14 pick? I’m assuming if that’s the case we have 1-14 regular lottery odds correct? 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Kyle Flipowski declared as well.

I like him for a big he spreads it. Who is team Flip? I like dudes who stretch the floor at the 5, Pero Antic type days back 😆. You reach I Antic :jesus:

I'm mixed on him.  I like his game, but I get some strong Frank Kaminsky vibes with him.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

So what are the new rules again. If we lose the play in to the Bulls or win that but lose the next game (7/8 matchup) we get a possible 10-14 pick? I’m assuming if that’s the case we have 1-14 regular lottery odds correct? 

Lottery odds are still based on regular season record as far as I know.  So, I think we will either pick 10th or we will be picking 15th.  If we beat the Bulls but lose the next game, I don't think that effects our lottery odds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1