• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Someone explain that tweet everyone is talking about with the leaked text messages...................

Wurider05

Murray talking to a fan. Everything he said made sense. Quin has a scheme. He's bending the scheme to fit Trae's strengths but it's at the negative effect of the scheme. It puts the guards and wings in a negative position and the scheme is suppose to speak for itself. 

Defensively, the scheme just can't work. While this scheme protects the 1, it overly exposed the 2 and 3. It did that in Utah too. Gobert was able to protect a lot of the nonsense which OO nor Clint can do. Making it extremely difficult to be a 2 or 3 on defense in this scheme. 

I just don't know if this scheme makes any sense for this personnel and to be honest, it really ask so much of the 2, 3, and 5. This scheme is easier on the 4 than Nates scheme. It gives them more freedom and less defense responsibilities which is why we have seen a breakout from JJ. 

I didn't see anything from Murray I disagreed with in the short chat message. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wurider05 said:

as I am not really clear as to what is going on and who is it from and to?

It could also be something photoshopped coming out of klutch. 

Supes said this was DJ talking to a fan.... NBA players just communicate with fans like that? I wouldn't, but that's just me. 

• Premium Member
19 hours ago, warcore said:

It could also be something photoshopped coming out of klutch. 

Supes said this was DJ talking to a fan.... NBA players just communicate with fans like that? I wouldn't, but that's just me. 

A few local articles picked it up. They note that he had social interactions like that with fans in San Antonio and he's deactivated his Twitter(?) account. It would makes sense for DJM and the team to publicly address it with a denial and it is curious that it's out there still.

I can't say that I believe it's 100% genuine, but it does line up 100% with our performance, Dejounte's father posting things, and all the trade back chatter.

Lastly, the message was in response to an exchange between that user and DJ's dad who has since deleted his tweet. 

Lots of smoke there, if not a whole fire.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Wretch said:

A few local articles picked it up. They note that he had social interactions like that with fans in San Antonio and he's deactivated his Twitter(?) account. It would makes sense for DJM and the team to publicly address it with a denial and it is curious that it's out there still.

I can't say that I believe it's 100% genuine, but it does line up 100% with our performance, Dejounte's father posting things, and all the trade back chatter.

Lastly, the message was in response to an exchange between that user and DJ's dad who has since deleted his tweet. 

Believe its a whole fire — any photoshopped texts made public like that would be meet with absolute incredulity and denial by the person misrepresented.  And this all tracks with DJs attitude, arguments with Quin, his dads postings, and him asking out of ATL

• Like 2

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Wretch said:

That is 💯 legit tweet from dj 

• Thanks 2

On 1/27/2024 at 10:48 AM, Wurider05 said:

as I am not really clear as to what is going on and who is it from and to?

Bro no offense but just post the tweet and read it. You know it is beyond unacceptable and he needs to leave.

GE0T_J4WMAAf2fx?format=jpg&name=large

• Sad 1

• Premium Member
46 minutes ago, Sothron said:

That is 💯 legit tweet from dj 

I assumed as much, but I always leave room for a little doubt.  TBH, this explains the entire season to me.  It's a team game and the whole team is responsible, but what we're going through right now is a whole chemistry meltdown.

To be clear because the Squawk loves polarizing conversations: I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT DEJOUNTE IS A CANCER NOR AM I TRYING TO IMPLY THAT.

I think what's going on is simply bad chemistry between the coach and a player.  DJ is playing out of position and I don't disagree with him.  It sort of worked under Nate but it's not working under Quinn.  It is however, discouraging to see Murray going in with fans like that.  Way too many of us, and other NBA fans, like and respect that dude for him to be bothered by the noise AND let it be known publicly. 

That's some KD level "f#cks given" and is a horrible look for the team.  What happened to that whole code or whatever that players honored to keep the locker room stuff out of the public eye?  Y'know, the whole between brothers/family matters/"it's internal" mantra...  DJ basically just took a 💩 on that.  If it's tactical and put out there to pressure the FO, then I'm pretty much done with dude.  Regardless, now more than ever we have to draw a line in the sand.

Side note, for all the hate Trae gets...here again, we see an example of what kind of person/player he is and not getting credit for it.  Compare his drama to this craziness.  He ain't perfect, but at least Trae kept his dirt out of the public and refused to comment.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
44 minutes ago, GameTime said:

Bro no offense but just post the tweet and read it. You know it is beyond unacceptable and he needs to leave.

GE0T_J4WMAAf2fx?format=jpg&name=large

The most concerning part of this is him suggesting more ppl in the locker room are not happy.  Not necessarily surprising but its clear we need some change on this roster beyond just Murray 

I'm mainly addressing this to the Hawks' insiders, but what is happening in practice that isn't happening in the actual games?  From DJ's comments, it sounds like the team is working well together in practice.  What is being changed during the game, and why?  Is he saying that he's allowed to be more of a playmaker in practice, but not during the games?  Has Trae been playing off-ball more in practice?

• Like 1

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, Phunkabilly said:

I'm mainly addressing this to the Hawks' insiders, but what is happening in practice that isn't happening in the actual games?  From DJ's comments, it sounds like the team is working well together in practice.  What is being changed during the game, and why?  Is he saying that he's allowed to be more of a playmaker in practice, but not during the games?  Has Trae been playing off-ball more in practice?

Dj runs the 2nd team unit a lot or they switch things up. They practice more ball movement and guys coming off screens to get open shots (like Trae). It isn't really translating to being done in the actual games as much as the players want.

before someone asks the logical next question...I do not know why this is happening. I know Quin wants a major roster overhaul and the FO has come around to his way of thinking over the course of the season. I don't believe in coaches making statements to a FO through games or practices or how he handles players. I don't know if that is what this relates to but it makes me wonder.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

The worst part of that supposed tweet is it's blatantly wrong... DJ isn't placed as a spot up shooter, he frequently has the ball in his hands. 

The worst part of it all is posters going buck wild about it. 

The team is losing, people want to blame things. The fact is, trades will happen because our frontcourt is abysmal. 

• Capela is declining fast, OO regressed, Bey sucks.

• Fans are flat out idiots sometimes,[hidden, though y'all can figure it out ~lw3] because they don't think about the reason for losing and the present issues, just what the media puts out there to cause stir and clicks.

• There are plenty of front-office sharks that want to snatch up the good parts of this team and leave us remaining with the problem issues.

• Good parts: Trae, DJ, JJ

• Bad Parts: OO, Capela, Bey

• You guys really think swapping guards is gonna get us somewhere? How about looking at the real issues instead of fake twitter.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, Phunkabilly said:

Long before any of the trade stuff got out, I caught wind of some of this drama from Twitter.  Murray's dad was going in hard about his son playing out of position.  Trae's dad was offering support on some of those Tweets.  Thing about Trae's dad though is he's very careful with this words and it's clear he's taught his son the same thing.  These dudes know we hang on every word, so it struck me as odd but I didn't put much thought into it.

Everything is coming out in the wash though.

6 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Dj runs the 2nd team unit a lot or they switch things up. They practice more ball movement and guys coming off screens to get open shots (like Trae). It isn't really translating to being done in the actual games as much as the players want.

before someone asks the logical next question...I do not know why this is happening. I know Quin wants a major roster overhaul and the FO has come around to his way of thinking over the course of the season. I don't believe in coaches making statements to a FO through games or practices or how he handles players. I don't know if that is what this relates to but it makes me wonder.

Yeah...  Honestly Soth, I have enough to draw my own conclusions.  There's work to be done to shape this team up and Quin is putting in his opinion, as he should.  I am laughably out of my depth trying to understand what an NBA coach sees in a player and I wouldn't even dream of trying.  That said, all indications from the outside looking in though are that Dejounte isn't interested in Quin's vision/schemes and from a surface level glance, he isn't fitting in with it.

• Like 3

Quin’s is running a different scheme that is requiring bigs to be more active around the perimeter. This is not a defense where the team is funneling everything to one big like in Utah. Anyone who says otherwise is wrong. It’s why Capela and OO is near the top of the key and also why their block rates are lower this year. The offense that Quin wants requires players to go to the rim and shoot a lot of threes. Problem is that we have a bunch of players that are either love the mid range, don’t like going to the rim, and or don’t go to the free throw line. The only players that consistently  generate free throws are Trae  and Bey. Hunter and DJ have adjusted to shooting more threes and attacking the rim (well Hunter is attacking the rim, DJ doesn’t like taking contact). They’re having their best offensive seasons ever.

This defensive scheme isn’t hard at all to run. If the players just try to run it and don’t give up the minute somebody runs by them, we would be fine. College Park literally the same schemes Quin Snyder does and they have one of the best defenses and they’re the NUMBER ONE TEAM IN THE EAST! The problem isn’t the scheme. It’s the players not adapting.

Dejounte complaining about not getting the ball enough is stupid when Trae is literally one of the best point guards in the league. We already do the point guard stagger, he’s having the best counting stats season of his career, and he still doesn’t want to buy in? Then he has got to go? He clearly doesn’t to fit in. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, givemesome1ce1 said:

Quin’s is running a different scheme that is requiring bigs to be more active around the perimeter. This is not a defense where the team is funneling everything to one big like in Utah. Anyone who says otherwise is wrong. It’s why Capela and OO is near the top of the key and also why their block rates are lower this year. The offense that Quin wants requires players to go to the rim and shoot a lot of threes. Problem is that we have a bunch of players that are either love the mid range, don’t like going to the rim, and or don’t go to the free throw line. The only players that consistently  generate free throws are Trae  and Bey. Hunter and DJ have adjusted to shooting more threes and attacking the rim (well Hunter is attacking the rim, DJ doesn’t like taking contact). They’re having their best offensive seasons ever.

This defensive scheme isn’t hard at all to run. If the players just try to run it and don’t give up the minute somebody runs by them, we would be fine. College Park literally the same schemes Quin Snyder does and they have one of the best defenses and they’re the NUMBER ONE TEAM IN THE EAST! The problem isn’t the scheme. It’s the players not adapting.

Dejounte complaining about not getting the ball enough is stupid when Trae is literally one of the best point guards in the league. We already do the point guard stagger, he’s having the best counting stats season of his career, and he still doesn’t want to buy in? Then he has got to go? He clearly doesn’t to fit in. 

I've been giving you a hard time [] but this post is pretty damn good. Like really damn good. I'll keep my eyes on you. @benhillboy, keep an eye on this guy

interesting that Trae is more engaged defensively than a lot of his teammates this season.

lol is Trae the only player on the team that actually likes Synder or something ???

likely not but it sure does feel that way based on DJs comments.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, JTB said:

interesting that Trae is more engaged defensively than a lot of his teammates this season.

lol is Trae the only player on the team that actually likes Synder or something ???

DJ has a certain personality, Trae does too.. sometimes those aspects are more pronounced when losing a lot of games

Trae is a winner, he works at it. I love his mentality.

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, JTB said:

More like Trae is the only person Snyder likes lol he inherited a dog water roster, which is why everyone is on the block right now.  I'm sure he also really likes JJ/Bogi and probably Bey, but I think that's about it.