• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Tanking is the best option for the Hawks right now.

givemesome1ce1

As of right now, I think it’s clear the best option for the hawks is to just tank and try to get the highest draft pick possible. I know that sound crazy at this point in the season when so many teams below us are bad, but hear me out.

We are the 10th seed and currently on a 3 game losing streak. It could be a 4 game losing streak as of writing this as we are playing the magic and every game against the Magic has been a dogfight. We are 8 games below .500. We would have to go on a 17-9 run in order to get .500. With the way this team is playing, that is probably not gonna happen. We are very likely to finish as the 10th seed. Are you confident that we can beat the Bulls, Magic, or Heat in two away play-in games? Because I’m not. I wouldn’t be shocked if we get destroyed in the first one considering how inconsistent we’ve been this season. While I really want to see playoff Onyeka Okongwu and Jalen Johnson reps, it just seems like it’s not in the cards this year. 

It would be favorable for the hawks to just lose as many games as possible at this point to try and get a forward or center that can help them get athleticism and youth in the lineup. Someone like Ryan Dunn (shooting is bad, but the defense is incredible and we would need it), Kel’el Ware, Matas Buzelius, or Donovan Clingan. 
Also have to hope the Sacremento Kings make the playoffs, so we can have their pick this year and we can get another young guy. We could draft a forward and center. Bring in a much needed youth infusion for this roster. 

People are gonna make this out as a loser post, but I feel like I’m being realistic here. I think this is currently the best way the team can get better in the future. The Mavs already did it last year and look where they are now. Why can’t we do it? 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, givemesome1ce1 said:

As of right now, I think it’s clear the best option for the hawks is to just tank and try to get the highest draft pick possible. I know that sound crazy at this point in the season when so many teams below us are bad, but hear me out.

We are the 10th seed and currently on a 3 game losing streak. It could be a 4 game losing streak as of writing this as we are playing the magic and every game against the Magic has been a dogfight. We are 8 games below .500. We would have to go on a 17-9 run in order to get .500. With the way this team is playing, that is probably not gonna happen. We are very likely to finish as the 10th seed. Are you confident that we can beat the Bulls, Magic, or Heat in two away play-in games? Because I’m not. I wouldn’t be shocked if we get destroyed in the first one considering how inconsistent we’ve been this season. While I really want to see playoff Onyeka Okongwu and Jalen Johnson reps, it just seems like it’s not in the cards this year. 

It would be favorable for the hawks to just lose as many games as possible at this point to try and get a forward or center that can help them get athleticism and youth in the lineup. Someone like Ryan Dunn (shooting is bad, but the defense is incredible and we would need it), Kel’el Ware, Matas Buzelius, or Donovan Clingan. 
Also have to hope the Sacremento Kings make the playoffs, so we can have their pick this year and we can get another young guy. We could draft a forward and center. Bring in a much needed youth infusion for this roster. 

People are gonna make this out as a loser post, but I feel like I’m being realistic here. I think this is currently the best way the team can get better in the future. The Mavs already did it last year and look where they are now. Why can’t we do it? 

If the team was going to tank, that decision should've been made in mid January.

4 hours ago, NBASupes said:

While I don't necessarily agree with the post, I definitely agree with the title. Tank. This season is pointless. Tank

If that's the route we go they might as well do that "shoulder procedure" on Trae and make it a HARD tank..... If you're going to tank, then tank to the MAX. No half steppin........ Start Bufkin, AJ, Lundy, Jalen, Bruno for the rest of the year and go 24-58. 😀

Edited by terrell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

I agree and have said this for some time. This is another lost season thanks to Tony Ressler's refusal to pay the luxury tax. The buck starts and stops at the top. When the owner refuses to pay for a winning team you can't blame the front office, coach or players when the team performs exactly to its payroll. Ressler has gotten away for EVERY YEAR of his ownership of being a cheap af owner.

This season is toast. Play the young guys and tank the rest of the season. We need all the lottery balls we can get to try and get a high pick.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sothron said:

Play the young guys and tank the rest of the season

Oddly enough, you may not be able to achieve both at the same time. I don't think what the young guys would give us would be less than the Mat(t)hews. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

I don’t think Quin will be behind a total tank.  If he is, do for it.  But I’d like to see us pull a 2023 Mavericks finish to the season.  The downside is that I think this will be a very difficult draft to find that gem.  There will be gems but they are not obvious and probably depend on development you can only project and not bank on.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, warcore said:

Oddly enough, you may not be able to achieve both at the same time. I don't think what the young guys would give us would be less than the Mat(t)hews. 

And with the way Trae and CC have played their last few games, Bufkin and Bruno might be upgrades.. lol

• Like 2

With the Trae injury, we can go on full-on tank mode

We can reasonably raise our Top 4 odds closer to 50% from the 20% we are at right now. We wont' outdo Detroit, SA, or Washington bad but we can certainly get to the Charlotte, Memphis, Portland area.

Pick up Sheppard or Williams or Risacher or Sarr if he is there

That would be a huge advantage going into next season to grab one of those

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 1

1000% agreed.  We need to tank.  This is our last chance to boost our team through the draft since SA owns our draft for the next few years.

I know it's not the greatest draft on paper, but who cares, there are always diamonds in the rough and it's our last chance for a while.  This team needs to add some talent on low salary that we can develop or use in a trade.  Getting into the play-in or (best case) getting 7 or 8 seed just to get smoked in the playoffs isn't going to help us.  

Now that Trae is out play Bufkin/AJ/Gueye please.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, theheroatl said:

With the Trae injury, we can go on full-on tank mode

We can reasonably raise our Top 4 odds closer to 50% from the 20% we are at right now. We wont' outdo Detroit, SA, or Washington bad but we can certainly get to the Charlotte, Memphis, Portland area.

Pick up Sheppard or Williams or Risacher or Sarr if he is there

That would be a huge advantage going into next season to grab one of those

It's not even about the top 4, we just need to reevaluate everything. If Clint is washed which i believe he is. We need to reevaluate that as well. OO likely out for another 3 weeks as well.  

But it would help if we can land Risacher. 

• Like 1

Always was the best course of action and now it will be. I am hesitant they will fully commit which means playing all the young guys but they will start to get answers on a lot. First and foremost is starts with playing Kobe. Getting this high pick whether to use it or throw it in a trade will be much needed

Well, yeah we are gonna “compete” but this team is really bad without Trae. Who’s gonna set up easy lob for Capela? Who’s gonna help set up Jalen? Who’s gonna help create the many open threes that Trae does? Like people don’t realize how much Trae does for this offense. If we win, it’s because Hunter, Bey, and Jalen are really good on offense (which will be hard without Trae) and Defense. Like I think we are about to lose a bunch of games whether people like it or not. I just hope we see Kobe Bufkin, AJ, and Lundy play a lot more.