• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Tanking is the best option for the Hawks right now.

givemesome1ce1

On 2/24/2024 at 3:47 PM, Spud2nique said:

image.gif.4123ffab5635ea167c4c0109f7433680.gif

Told ya! No tank. If anything this can give Trae some rest. Perhaps a blessing in disguise. I think we showed more of a team effort tonight with Trae out, folks stepped up. Specially Bruno and Buf!

#notank

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

Told ya! No tank. If anything this can give Trae some rest. Perhaps a blessing in disguise. I think we showed more of a team effort tonight with Trae out, folks stepped up. Specially Bruno and Buf!

#notank

Where has this been all year in the time when Trae is on the bench?  This feels like Bobby Sura momentum to me.  If this team pulls together and enjoys a first round exit, we better have developed the young players so the worst guy in our rotation is still an impactful player.  Otherwise, not sure what will be changing for next season and things need to change.  

The Hawks need to pick a lane for the rest of the season and lean in.  Being in no man’s land of the 9th or 10th seed would not be great.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

We will be in the play in.  No one 11-15 is going to try.  We'd have to really make a huge effort to lose enough to fall down to 11.

But it's also unlikely we make the playoffs.   So we can just compete and let the chips fall.  80% chance we're in the lottery anyway. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

We will be in the play in.  No one 11-15 is going to try.  We'd have to really make a huge effort to lose enough to fall down to 11.

But it's also unlikely we make the playoffs.   So we can just compete and let the chips fall.  80% chance we're in the lottery anyway. 

The Hawks have 2 games coming up against Brooklyn. The margin for error will be really small if the Hawks lose those games.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, hawkman said:

The Hawks have 2 games coming up against Brooklyn. The margin for error will be really small if the Hawks lose those games.

Nets are 6-17 in 2024.   I imagine Kevin Ollie has strict orders to 'play the young guys'

Not that the rest of them were putting in a ton of effort.  i think i saw where the entire Nets team had drawn fewer charges than Trae has this season.  don't quote me on that.

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, warcore said:

Didn't your avatar used to say 'Tanking Works'?

That's what happens when you lose a bet to me, lol.  

(And are man enough to pay up).

KB has never supported tanking of any sort in any sport.

• Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, AHF said:

That's what happens when you lose a bet to me, lol.  

(And are man enough to pay up).

KB has never supported tanking of any sort in any sport.

Good lord how many avatar’s you currently own? 😯 

• Haha 1

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Good lord how many avatar’s you currently own? 😯 

KB "owns" his avatar today.  You are the only one brandishing an AHF selected avatar.  But the memories are still there.

image.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

For the pro tankers, who are you wanting to tank to get in this draft?  Are you wanting to ensure that the Hawks get someone like Ron Holland, who is talented but probably 3 years away from being a meaningful contributor on a winning team?

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, KB21 said:

For the pro tankers, who are you wanting to tank to get in this draft?  Are you wanting to ensure that the Hawks get someone like Ron Holland, who is talented but probably 3 years away from being a meaningful contributor on a winning team?

I think it may be too late in the season for the Hawks to tank.  It will be tough to be worse than Brooklyn and Toronto, even without Trae.  But, if they did tank and get a pick...I'm pretty sure it gets traded for a veteran player.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

I think it may be too late in the season for the Hawks to tank.  It will be tough to be worse than Brooklyn and Toronto, even without Trae.  But, if they did tank and get a pick...I'm pretty sure it gets traded for a veteran player.

Doubt it.  A veteran player will cost them more money.  They will convince themselves of the idea that having the rookie on a cost-controlled deal for 5 years is better and will keep them out of the tax.  

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, KB21 said:

Doubt it.  A veteran player will cost them more money.  They will convince themselves of the idea that having the rookie on a cost-controlled deal for 5 years is better and will keep them out of the tax.  

Nope.  With Quin and Trae, the direction is win now.  Especially since they don't own or control their first round picks for the next three years.  I think they will attach Capela's expiring deal ( will be attractive) to any pick for more immediate help.

• Premium Member

I understand the "short term tank" strategy on paper, but the more I've thought about this, the less sense it really makes to me.  Not only do we need to build a winning culture, we need to build player value with the guys on our roster if we want to make any significant moves in this offseason.  Tanking for a top 6-8 pick instead of a top 10-12 pick is not going to make a difference.

• Like 1