• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Trae Young, The Referees and the difference the last 2 games

thecampster

Has anyone else noticed a much more lenient whistle the last 2 games?

Has anyone else noticed a lot less complaining to the refs, a lot less looking for whistles?

Has anyone else noticed the opposing teams whining more, looking for a whistle?

Now some of this could be attributed to who is winning, who is losing but I've seen a much more fair whistle being called and I'm wondering how much of it is....."The Refs do not like Trae".

Thoughts?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

With the caveat that I saw the Orlando game but missed last night, I would generally disagree with the thought that the refs don't like Trae. I think Trae has a reputation of hunting for fouls and working the refs to call them.

For some refs, that's fine. For others, I think their natural tendency is to develop a thick skin and call fewer fouls just being contrarian.  But yeah, it's pretty obvious some refs feel a certain kind of way about Trae.

With that said, my guess is this thread will turn into a bunch of criticisms against Trae, which imo, is unwarranted.  

Edited by REHawksFan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's team dependent.  If Trae played for the Lakers, the refs would be giving him all the calls.  If he played for the Celtics, he would get all the calls.  He'd likely get all the calls if he played for the Knicks.  The NBA doesn't want Hawks players getting favorable calls for whatever reason.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

of course the refs don't like Trae.  Have you seen the way he acts out there?    Go watch some OKC games and watch how SGA acts in contrast.   It's night and day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member

Yes, I've noticed a difference.  Hunter got a lot more calls last night than normal.  JJ got some annoying offensive fouls, but the biggest difference I noticed is the vibe of the team.  Trae was not there arguing with refs constantly which puts a bit of a negative blanket of energy on the floor.

And while I agree the refs do not like Trae, which is completely understandable, I don't think it actually impacts his whistle that much.  His FTA/game are down but so are his ball dominant comps: Harden, Luka, Lillard, Butler, etc.  That's just how they're officiating across the board now.  The difference is Trae is much much whinier than most of those guys and his attitude towards the refs clearly grates them.  I think you see this in the techs he gets.  Anyways, most here know this is a soap box topic for me, but it has been really refreshing being at the games the past couple -- whole mood on the floor has been lighter and more positive.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, KB21 said:

LOL!  We have fans that literally want to run off the guy who will likely eclipse Dominique Wilkins as the greatest Hawks player in the history of the team.  

I don't think anyone in here is trying to run off Trae?  He has major strides to make if he wants to be a true leader of the team (by example or vocally), though, and it's fair to discuss those shortcomings.

• Like 2

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, shakes said:

of course the refs don't like Trae.  Have you seen the way he acts out there?    Go watch some OKC games and watch how SGA acts in contrast.   It's night and day.

So explain why Hunter gets such bad calls.  Before this year he almost never complained.  He's doing it a little more but still probably the most quiet guy on the floor and still gets horrendous fouls called against him.  

• Thanks 2

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

So explain why Hunter gets such bad calls.  Before this year he almost never complained.  He's doing it a little more but still probably the most quiet guy on the floor and still gets horrendous fouls called against him.  

Both lots of bad calls against him and never been able to get to the line consistently.  He could be the poster child for our team for someone the refs haven't treated fairly and they've done it consistently.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Quickly setting the record for the quickest derailed topic in the history of the squawk. I should have known better. My apologies.

What's derailed about it though?  Isn't the question whether or not we're getting better whistles because Trae's not on the floor?  

I'd say i haven't noticed much difference other than the obvious that Trae isn't there.  

1 minute ago, RedDawg#8 said:

SGA gets a much more favorable whistle. You can barely touch him. Trae only became an Ahole to the refs when they started swallowing the whistle. Doesn’t make it right, but I guarantee SGA would be pretty frustrated too if he got the same treatment.

No player in the league complains more than LeBron James, and no player gets more favorable calls either.  

The fact of the matter is, if you swapped Young and Doncic, Doncic would be the one not getting the favorable calls.  I'm convinced that the NBA would prefer Young on another team so he would be more marketable to them.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, KB21 said:

It's team dependent.  If Trae played for the Lakers, the refs would be giving him all the calls.  If he played for the Celtics, he would get all the calls.  He'd likely get all the calls if he played for the Knicks.  The NBA doesn't want Hawks players getting favorable calls for whatever reason.

I would like to believe that but I doubt it.   I just think that refs have taken their angst out on Trae because he's good, he's small, and he's irritating.  Allstar games and All NBA teams may fit into what you say but calls.. I don't think so.   There's no history of such. 

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, thecampster said:

Has anyone else noticed a lot less complaining to the refs, a lot less looking for whistles?

Now some of this could be attributed to who is winning, who is losing but I've seen a much more fair whistle being called and I'm wondering how much of it is....."The Refs do not like Trae".

Thoughts?

I said all of this a long time ago... lol

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I would like to believe that but I doubt it.   I just think that refs have taken their angst out on Trae because he's good, he's small, and he's irritating.  Allstar games and All NBA teams may fit into what you say but calls.. I don't think so.   There's no history of such. 

You don't think the marquee teams get better calls?  That's the NBA's whole strategy.  

• Premium Member
22 minutes ago, KB21 said:

No player in the league complains more than LeBron James, and no player gets more favorable calls either.  

The fact of the matter is, if you swapped Young and Doncic, Doncic would be the one not getting the favorable calls.  I'm convinced that the NBA would prefer Young on another team so he would be more marketable to them.  

I don't really agree with this framework at all.  Are you suggesting Doncic is getting favorable calls for people in Dallas?  Lebron doesn't even get a favorable whistle when I watch him play.  He's massive and takes tons of contact constantly with no call.  IF anything, a lot of the stronger player (Lebron, Kawhi, Giannis) get punished for being so strong.  Meanwhile, defenders have to treat smaller guys like porcelain without getting whistled.  How "favorable" of calls a player gets is completely subjective and subject to bias in the worse way, so it's hardly a conversation worth having.  Every team feels like their guy is getting shafted.  The only players I see that truly feel like they're getting a favorable whistle are Shai and Butler in the playoffs.

6 hours ago, thecampster said:

Thoughts?

What is the narrative? It’s pretty obviously about the fact that the refs have been much more lenient and nothing really to do with Trae. Walker Kessler got away with a bunch of stuff and was complaining about things the whole game. Players like Hunter and Jalen don’t really complain to the refs unlike they get really mad (like the raptors game where Hunter got a tech). I mean Dejounte literally complains when he doesn’t get calls (he got suspended from a playoff game lol), not as much as Trae, but he does it a good bit.

Star players complain all the time about fouls. LeBron complains,Tatum complains, Luka complains (honestly way more than Trae). I mean that’s just what stars do if they don’t get calls. 

Edited by givemesome1ce1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1