• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Lauren Williams AJC Beatwriter talks state of the Hawks

JayBirdHawk

23 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

WTF does this mean?  

You know what it means.

It means that these guys weren't as solid all around, especially in the frontcourt, than Landry led us to believe.

Gave up a big in Collins, for nothing in return. And had people thinking that we were OK from a roster standpoint.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• Premium Member
32 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Lauren has been OUTSTANDING with her coverage of the Hawks this season.  This interview was A+.

And as soon as she said that "the Hawks maybe need to address their size issue at the wing, and possibly at the 5" .... I started hitting my lounger and said

"Dammit Lauren! I've been saying this all year!"

Get bigger in the frontcourt, and a lot of the defensive issues we have, go completely away.

Thought of you when she said it. 😄

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

On Local Radio 92.9 The Game:

1. Talks injuries

2. Possibilty of Calling up MoG or AJ...haven't been called up and team is already out west

3. Windler can only play 11 NBA games, smh (has already played 39 with other NBA clubs). Why we signed him to a 2way.

4. Will we hang on to the 10th spot? It will be tough. Will Hunter move back into the starting lineup?

5. Trae - will Trae return if we make playin? Trae will most likely want to play as long as he has mobility in his hand and has cleared all protocols.

6. Didn't have as much depth as they advertised once JJ was injured. 

7. Hawks have individual talented players, they just can't seem to get it right playing with each other and with any consistency (they like each other off the court and get along well). They just lack size on wing and center.

8. Quin talks about lack of size often, mostly by referencing other teams size we have to go up against them on the wings and front court.

9. Quin believes in Trae and DJ and wants to make it work with them.  

10. Need an annoying guy on the team. 😄

Select the 3:21 time slot chapter

https://www.audacy.com/stations/929thegame/shows/dukes-bell-757f8

It's nice to check-in periodically and so succinctly be able to measure where things stand. Kudos to Jay for the homework.

Wish things were going better for yousguys. That's all I've got.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, NBASupes said:

You can't be small in the front court and the back court. JJ is fine as his athleticism and playmaking makes up for his lack of size but the 5 needs to be much bigger and the 3 needs to be bigger as well. I don't think they like Dre as a starting 3 when he's much better off the bench like Bogi. 

IYO, would an oversized center make the Trae / DJ pairing more palatable? Would drafting an oversized 5 and wing with 2 picks this year allow the Hawks to keep DJ and Trae together? Or has this ship sailed and they need to trade DJ for as much return as possible?

Does a guy like Edey make the Trae / DJ pairing work better? Or not really?

13 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Lauren has been OUTSTANDING with her coverage of the Hawks this season.  This interview was A+.

And as soon as she said that "the Hawks maybe need to address their size issue at the wing, and possibly at the 5" .... I started hitting my lounger and said

"Dammit Lauren! I've been saying this all year!"

Get bigger in the frontcourt, and a lot of the defensive issues we have, go completely away.

I'm not as big of a fan of Lauren as you but she should have said.. "Hawks MUST increase their size and defense at the wing and at center.. it's been a complete joke this year"

I prefer beat writers that ask tough awkward questions.. IMO, Ken Seguira and Jeff Schulz were some of the best at this

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 1

Size isn't the issue up front it is made out to be.  The bigger issue has been Clint's decline in his athleticism.  He has no more lateral quickness or spring.  Second jump athleticism is gone.  I actually noticed that was declining early LAST season.  There's no reason to go after a 7-footer just to be getting someone that tall when that player likely will not be able to switch and guard on the perimeter.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

On Local Radio 92.9 The Game:

1. Talks injuries

2. Possibilty of Calling up MoG or AJ...haven't been called up and team is already out west

3. Windler can only play 11 NBA games, smh (has already played 39 with other NBA clubs). Why we signed him to a 2way.

4. Will we hang on to the 10th spot? It will be tough. Will Hunter move back into the starting lineup?

5. Trae - will Trae return if we make playin? Trae will most likely want to play as long as he has mobility in his hand and has cleared all protocols.

7. Hawks have individual talented players, they just can't seem to get it right playing with each other and with any consistency (they like each other off the court and get along well). They just lack size on wing and center.

8. Quin talks about lack of size often, mostly by referencing other teams size we have to go up against them on the wings and front court.

9. Quin believes in Trae and DJ and wants to make it work with them.  

10. Need an annoying guy on the team. 😄

Select the 3:21 time slot chapter

https://www.audacy.com/stations/929thegame/shows/dukes-bell-757f8

Quin is signing his death sentence if he tries to keep Dejounte and Trae together 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Quin is signing his death sentence if he tries to keep Dejounte and Trae together 

That’s not entirely true and you know that. There are plenty of ball dominant players that play together in this current NBA.

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 1

• Moderators
17 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Who is "they"?  A lot of complaints all year on lack of depth with this team.

17 hours ago, KB21 said:

Will Hunter move back into the starting line up?  Who the F is going to start over him now?

I'm worried they are going to get him hurt playing him at PF and pressing him to try to win games since we are so devastated right now.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AHF said:

Who is "they"?  A lot of complaints all year on lack of depth with this team.

I'm worried they are going to get him hurt playing him at PF and pressing him to try to win games since we are so devastated right now.

If we're sorely depending on Hunter to win games we're already cooked anyway.  Meh. But to the point...Meh.

IMB_20180907083537_dClE.gif

• Haha 1

• Moderators
52 minutes ago, deester11 said:

If we're sorely depending on Hunter to win games we're already cooked anyway.  Meh. But to the point...Meh.

IMB_20180907083537_dClE.gif

We are already cooked but that isn't a commentary on Hunter.  It is about Trae, JJ, Kobe, OO and Bey all being out.

• Like 1