• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Rate Mike Woodson

NineOhTheRino

Rate Mike Woodson  

172 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Premium Member

You know where I stand on this one.

Will bump until 100 votes counted

Edited by NineOhTheRino

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators
It's pretty absurd that he gets so much flack when we have the record we do. I don't like the guy but he has to be given some credit for what we've done. If not him . . . . . . who gets the credit?

He defintely gets some credit but for the past three years all we heard was that it wasn't his fault because our players sucked. So now I think you have to say its not all his doing because we have some good players who are making it happen.

I give him credit for making these guys play defense but I feel that most of the scoring is from individual effort and not any offensive scheme. In addition the refusal to give guys like Acie and Solo consistent minutes to establish themselves is hurting the team.

It's pretty absurd that he gets so much flack when we have the record we do. I don't like the guy but he has to be given some credit for what we've done. If not him . . . . . . who gets the credit?

I think he deserves any criticism he gets. He has proven time and time again that he is unable to get this team to play strong team basketball. His offensive system, game management, substitutions, adjustments and ability to represent the team in a professional manner are all subpar.

This team wins when it hits jump shots. Nothing too impressive about that. The record is great, don't get me wrong, but relying on jump shooting won't get you far in the playoffs as the team will ultimately cool down.

This team still is in some desperate need of motion in its offensive sets and some rethinking of its defensive strategies - including the constant switching and the guards inability to stop or slowdown dribble penetration.

I think he would be a very valuable assistant coach on a team that already has a strong, assertive head coach and a goof x&o guy already on staff.

I gave him a "9" for this season. Here is why:

1.a. I knew the majority of fans would be scared to give the man credit.

1. 10 W - 6 L start is the best for the Hawks franchise in 10 years.

2. Josh Smith missed 12 of the 16 games.

3. Al Horford missed 1 full game and 3 quarters.

4. Joe Johnson has played banged up, and we still won.

5. ZaZa has played banged up (at the same time Smith and Horford were hurt). We won a game on pure heart and motivation without Horford, Smith, and with ZaZa using one arm.

6. 10 of our first 16 games were on the road. We all know how we struggled on the road over the past several years. Now it appears the team has conquered their "road demons", even with all the injuries and hurdles they have faced.

Woody should get major credit for the team's good start. After all, he shouldered most of the blame around here when things did not go so good for several seasons due to three 19 -21 year olds starting every game with a bench caliber PG forced to start and lead them into battle each night.

Fact is this team is still far from your traditionally perfect team. There are plenty of warts on the roster. We are without an offensive force in the post. We are missing a lock down perimeter defender (especially vs. PGs), and jump shooting teams, like the Hawks, cannot be HOT ever night. So defensive tenacity and out hustleing the opponent are preached to over come the roster's basic weaknesses. Woody allows the team to play a unconventional style b/c it maximizes the skill set of the shooters on the roster. Also, Marvin has said Woody is the one who "pushed" him to extend his range so the floor can be properly spaced with our usual starting lineup on the floor together. (This should keep Smith in the paint more).

Woody could use a creative mind to help the offense when it occaisonly stalls but remember he does not have a guy who makes a living scoring in the paint for when things slow down and team's energy is low. We forget how hard it is to rely on offensive movement AND defensive tenacity for 48 minutes each game. Even the Wizards Princeton style offense has Jamison, who has made a career out of scoring in the paint. Jamison can bail the Wiz out with some post scoring for when team energy gets low and the offensive movement slows down. Even the great Phil Jackson relied on an assistant (Tex Winter) to design the triangle offense. We forget the Hawks have improved its offensive movement without the ball. Horford, Solo, and Marvin have cut to the basket much more frequently this year and have been rewarded with easy baskets. The team is getting a lot of open jump shots and that should be attributed, partly, to the coach.

Good job working with what ya' got, Woody ! Keep it up. After all, we are on pace to win over games with plenty of early obstacles that have already been over come.

Edited by coachx

5. ZaZa has played banged up (at the same time Smith and Horford were hurt). We won a game on pure heart and motivation without Horford, Smith, and with ZaZa using one arm.

So if injuries happen to other teams they don't count, right?

Woody allows the team to play a unconventional style b/c it maximizes the skill set of the shooters on the roster

So one guy dribbling with the other players standing around maximizes the teams potential? Uhhh.. ok.

6. 10 of our first 16 games were on the road. We all know how we struggled on the road over the past several years. Now it appears the team has conquered their "road demons", even with all the injuries and hurdles they have faced.

Woody should get major credit for the team's good start. After all, he shouldered most of the blame around here when things did not go so good for several seasons due to three 19 -21 year olds starting every game with a bench caliber PG forced to start and lead them into battle each night.

Fact is this team is still far from your traditionally perfect team. There are plenty of warts on the roster. We are without an offensive force in the post. We are missing a lock down perimeter defender (especially vs. PGs), and jump shooting teams, like the Hawks, cannot be HOT ever night. So defensive tenacity and out hustleing the opponent are preached to over come the roster's basic weaknesses. Woody allows the team to play a unconventional style b/c it maximizes the skill set of the shooters on the roster. Also, Marvin has said Woody is the one who "pushed" him to extend his range so the floor can be properly spaced with our usual starting lineup on the floor together. (This should keep Smith in the paint more).

Woody could use a creative mind to help the offense when it occaisonly stalls but remember he does not have a guy who makes a living scoring in the paint for when things slow down and team's energy is low. We forget how hard it is to rely on offensive movement AND defensive tenacity for 48 minutes each game. Even the Wizards Princeton style offense has Jamison, who has made a career out of scoring in the paint. Jamison can bail the Wiz out with some post scoring for when team energy gets low and the offensive movement slows down. Even the great Phil Jackson relied on an assistant (Tex Winter) to design the triangle offense. We forget the Hawks have improved its offensive movement without the ball. Horford, Solo, and Marvin have cut to the basket much more frequently this year and have been rewarded with easy baskets. The team is getting a lot of open jump shots and that should be attributed, partly, to the coach.

Good job working with you got, Woody ! Keep it up.

Good post. I gave him an 8 for the very same reasons and I have no problem giving him a 9 for this season. This team still has some flaws but we are 10-6 despite a tough opening schedule.

Another thing that Woody doesn't get enough credit for in my book is his management of the players both inside and outside the lines. Woody has done a terrific job of managing the egos of some highly paid professional athletes and that is not easy to do. He's not Phil Jackson but he is better than a lot of people realize. Although some of the credit obviously goes to BK for this, we have an OUTSTANDING group of high character guys on this team. It is so nice to not have to listen to constant griping about minutes and roles and not to have to read about guys getting in trouble away from the court. Watching the really young guys like Marvin, Smoove, Al, Chillz, Solo, Zaza and Acie mature under Woody's leadership has been great. They are all fine young men who rep the franchise well.

Good job working with what ya' got, Woody ! Keep it up. After all, we are on pace to win over games with plenty of early obstacles that have already been over come.

Excellent post. I gave him an 8 for those very reasons. I may have given him a 7, but since 5 = D-League, I had to boost him up to an 8. He's been preaching defense here since Day 1. Now that we finally have some people who can play it a little, all that is paying off. We'll see if this team starts blowing out people again, once Smith gets back into the mix.

Look Woodson's coaching ability/performance is surely a viable topic on this board. Having said that however if you use a poll using Intramurial as the lower rung and NBADL as the middle ground that doesn't facilitate a legitimate discussion.

LOL @ "The Company Man". Since when have you ever been interested in "facilitating legitimate discussion"?

Now that you are a mod does that mean you wont be continuing your lovefest with Mr Sugarpants, Waldo?

• Moderators

I only gave him a 6 which for me meant slightly above average. But the better questions are:

Would you fire him now? There is no way i would fire him now

If the Hawks fired him would he ever get another head coaching job in the nba? I think the answer there is probably no. (Of course Tim Floyd got a second job and he was much worse. )

Could we have a better coach? yes. But there's a good chance we could have much, much worse.

LOL @ "The Company Man". Since when have you ever been interested in "facilitating legitimate discussion"?

Since today

Now that you are a mod does that mean you wont be continuing your lovefest with Mr Sugarpants, Waldo?

Some would say it's always been the other way around, and yes.

• Premium Member
Look Woodson's coaching ability/performance is surely a viable topic on this board. Having said that however if you use a poll using Intramurial as the lower rung and NBADL as the middle ground that doesn't facilitate a legitimate discussion.

I wasn't going to say anything about that...

A lot of middle ground between NBDL and HOF. :)

Yeah, a coach with a career winning percentage of what, 30% is being given 9's and 10's. Yeah, he's a HOF coach alright. The homerism on this board never ceases to amaze me.

I'll put it this way, a REAL HOF coach would actually use a size advantage against a smaller team. You know, actually play a big man that just got 17 boards. Common sense really should dictate this. 9? 10? Wow.