• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The ultimate curse of Knight isn't Chris Paul...

mrhonline

• Premium Member

it's Brandon Roy. Agree or disagree?

At the time, the rumors were that the Hawks steered clear of Roy not because of his talent, but his health.

SI.com

"He had a history of knee issues and some ankle trouble, which can result in problems with his back,'' a league personnel scout said.

"I heard it a little bit, but nobody ever wanted to say it to me,'' Roy said of predraft fears that he was brittle. "I don't blame them, you know. Maybe that's why I wasn't taken higher, [because] some teams were cautious. But I can't control the team that picks me. Anytime you draft a guy you're taking a chance, and Portland did. And now I just try to do my best to make them look good for it.''

Said McMillan: "It's something we talk about. This summer he felt he needed to improve his body, to take the grind of the season, the physical play, the contact that he has to play through.''

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woody would start Speedy Clacton over Paul if he was the Hornets coach back then. Paul would be lucky to get 15 minutes under Woody

Yeah cause Woody never plays young players that's for sure. :beathorse:

There hasn't been a single young player during Woody's entire time with the team that hasn't gotten minutes if they deserved them.

No it's CP3, Roy didn't want to be a Hawk, CP3 begged them to draft him. Two different sitiuations

• Premium Member
No it's CP3, Roy didn't want to be a Hawk, CP3 begged them to draft him. Two different sitiuations

I agree with this. But we still shoulda picked Roy instead of giving that crazy guarantee to Shelden Friggin Williams. Oh, and disregard some of these posts saying that Woody wouldn't play CP3. The posters who feel like that are just miffed about Law not getting the minutes they feel he deserves. I'm sure most of us here already know this, but for those who don't:

Paul>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Law

Yeah, I have to agree with this. In Shelden we drafted a guy who isn't even a decent bench player in the NBA, while Marvin has developed into a legitimate starting SF (especially this year with his three-ball).

Marvin is certainly no Team USA star like CP3 or Deron, but at least we got something with that pick, and I feel like Knight was somewhat justified in taking Marvin. Plenty of other NBA GMs would have.

Practically no one in the entire process thought Shelden was worth the fifth overall pick, but Knight was one of the very very few who did. Pretty much ANY other player would have been better. Shelden was one tiny piece of the package that got us Bibby, but we could have come out of that draft with Rajon Rondo, and THAT would still have been a bad decision.

The fact that Brandon Roy went right after that pick just stings so much more.

• Premium Member
Yeah, I have to agree with this. In Shelden we drafted a guy who isn't even a decent bench player in the NBA, while Marvin has developed into a legitimate starting SF (especially this year with his three-ball).

Marvin is certainly no Team USA star like CP3 or Deron, but at least we got something with that pick, and I feel like Knight was somewhat justified in taking Marvin. Plenty of other NBA GMs would have.

Practically no one in the entire process thought Shelden was worth the fifth overall pick, but Knight was one of the very very few who did. Pretty much ANY other player would have been better. Shelden was one tiny piece of the package that got us Bibby, but we could have come out of that draft with Rajon Rondo, and THAT would still have been a bad decision.

The fact that Brandon Roy went right after that pick just stings so much more.

Wonderfully said.

At the time, the rumors were that the Hawks steered clear of Roy not because of his talent, but his health.

SI.com

A team has a chance to get a MVP/HOF caliber talent very rarely - expecially when you are talking about a point guard or center. Really good wings (as opposed to a great wing like MJ) can be acquired comparatively easily.

• Moderators

From the perspective of the impact on the team, Paul over Marvin ranks higher because Paul is a superstar/elite player and those are rare.

From the perspective of which was a worse decision by looking at the rationale and decision-making process, the Shelden/Solo guarantee is worse than the Marvin/Salim draft by a long shot.

I think the worse curse of KNight was trading Diaw for JJ, that move set us back 5 years. A close second would be the drafting of Josh Smith at 17 instead of Jameer Nelson. Taking Horford over Yi was pathletic as well and only getting Bibby for Shelll and Lue was ludacris.

I think the worse curse of KNight was trading Diaw for JJ, that move set us back 5 years. A close second would be the drafting of Josh Smith at 17 instead of Jameer Nelson. Taking Horford over Yi was pathletic as well and only getting Bibby for Shelll and Lue was ludacris.

First of all BK didn't trade Diaw for JJ. he traded Diaw and 2 first rounders for JJ and given the Suns history it certainly isn't clear that they needed to trade anything at all to get JJ.

Smith at 17 wasn't that tough a call since he was the hometown athletic freak who was projected top 10 not long before the draft.

Horford is looking like a good pick but he was also the consensus 3rd best player in the draft in pretty much every mock draft. It isn't like BK went out on a limb to get him. However Horford isn't an All-Star. Roy and Paul are and Paul was an MVP candidate last season.

The Bibby trade was a good one but Bibby isn't going to make anyone forget about Paul/Deron.

Given all the lottery picks that BK had it would have been hard for him to draft worse than he did.

SI.com

I disagree.

I still stand by the Shelden pick, because we desperately needed frontcourt help ( and still do, to a certain extent ). It's too bad that Shelden didn't pan out.

But if Roy was here, I seriously doubt that Woody is benching Marvin, in favor of playing the rookie Roy. Plus, Roy was a 2, who has the ability to play the one OFFENSIVELY . . but not guard the position defensively, on a nightly basis.

The history of Woody suggests that the older/veteran player is going to get the benefit of the doubt. And he probably was also receiving pressure to play Marvin more, to see if he'd pan out and develop into the player that everyone thought he would be. Remember, '06 was only Marvin's 2nd year.

This is our team to start the 06 season:

C - Zaza

F - Smith

F - Williams

G - JJ

G - Speedy

With Lue as the 6th man.

And the front office had been ridiculed for drafting guys at multiple positions, instead of "need" guys. Shelden was a "need" guy. To me, I thought he'd do the same thing that Horford is doing now for us at center.

If we draft Roy, BK probably still goes after Speedy to play the point. And we're one less guy short on the frontline.

If I had a choice of having Paul or Roy, Paul would definitely be the choice.

First of all BK didn't trade Diaw for JJ. he traded Diaw and 2 first rounders for JJ and given the Suns history it certainly isn't clear that they needed to trade anything at all to get JJ.

Smith at 17 wasn't that tough a call since he was the hometown athletic freak who was projected top 10 not long before the draft.

Horford is looking like a good pick but he was also the consensus 3rd best player in the draft in pretty much every mock draft. It isn't like BK went out on a limb to get him. However Horford isn't an All-Star. Roy and Paul are and Paul was an MVP candidate last season.

The Bibby trade was a good one but Bibby isn't going to make anyone forget about Paul/Deron.

Given all the lottery picks that BK had it would have been hard for him to draft worse than he did.

Ex, I'm pretty sure he was kidding...