• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Watching this game makes me wonder

thefloydian

What was the reasoning for signing Collins over Siler? I wasn't one of the ones who thought Siler was going to be great or anything, but I imagine Collins cost more and he appears to be incapable of pretty much anything.

Jason Collins is one of the worst players in the NBA. Game experience is really his only advantage.

• Admin

Jason Collins is one of the worst players in the NBA. Game experience is really his only advantage.

Its funny I remember when he played for NJ. He was a solid big guy who played good d. He never scored but he did little things to help the team and he didn't hurt them when he was out there. It is so obvious now that he is not an nba quality player anymore. Those times are far behind him and maybe its time we go in a different direction with that 12th spot. I know it is the 12th man but if we are going to have someone on our roster it should be someone who deserves to be in the league.

Look guys - we're all on the same side here.

However earlier in the year when we signed Collins everyone thought he was a tough Veteran defender.

Now he's a bum.

There's some common ground here.

Oh yes...I thought Collins was a good choice. The last big is really just to take up space during a game and give out fouls when needed. But I have my doutbs as to whether Collins could get up and down the floor for a full ten minutes now...

• Premium Member

Look guys - we're all on the same side here.

However earlier in the year when we signed Collins everyone thought he was a tough Veteran defender.

Now he's a bum.

There's some common ground here.

Well I was fairly happy with the signing, but in all fairness i was thinking back to the Jason Collins who played in New Jersey. After some research into his past 5 seasons though, it seems like a terrible signing. A center that shoots 35% for his last 5 seasons in the league is pretty abysmal.

• Moderators

I still hold out hope that he can make a contribution this season - despite his worthless play so far. He will, however, absolutely need to get himself into shape because his only potential contribution is as a defender and screener.

What was the reasoning for signing Collins over Siler? I wasn't one of the ones who thought Siler was going to be great or anything, but I imagine Collins cost more and he appears to be incapable of pretty much anything.

I don't know why Collins has gotten in such bad shape. He used to be a good at moving his feet to draw fouls on other big men, now he can't even do that, probably would have did better to sign Jarron than Jason.

• Premium Member

Geez guys cut him some slack. At some point we are planning on being in a playoff series with Orlando, Cleveland or both. That's when we'll see Hack-a-Shaq/Hack-a-Dwight Collins at his best.

Jason Collins has played 14 minutes this season. In 14 minutes he has managed to have a per of -15. I know Per doesn't mean a whole lot in limited minutes, but think about it. Do you realize how unbelievably awful you have to play to get a per of -15. If you literally just stand at halfcourt the entire time you are on the floor your PER would be 15 points higher than Collins'. Now, if you look at Collins' PER since 2006 it is at around 3. That is by far the lowest PER I have ever seen in my life. The dude should seriously never be within sniffing distance of the court in any game whose outcome is not already virtually decided.

• Moderators

Jason Collins has played 14 minutes this season. In 14 minutes he has managed to have a per of -15. I know Per doesn't mean a whole lot in limited minutes, but think about it. Do you realize how unbelievably awful you have to play to get a per of -15. If you literally just stand at halfcourt the entire time you are on the floor your PER would be 15 points higher than Collins'. Now, if you look at Collins' PER since 2006 it is at around 3. That is by far the lowest PER I have ever seen in my life. The dude should seriously never be within sniffing distance of the court in any game whose outcome is not already virtually decided.

Everything that Collins does well, however, is not at all reflected in PER - positional defense, setting screens, drawing charges...these things aren't reflected in PER.

IM BACK..i was gone for a while. i changed my name...i used 2 post here as r3drumNYNJ for those that remember me.

But being from NJ, i got to see Collins play alot when he in his prime and he does look overweight and slow but i think he can still contribute when we play Shaq and Howard because just 3 yrs ago he was tough as nails on the defensive end..and his BBIQ was pretty damn good despite his lack of skill..i'm rooting for him to do well because i know the effect he can have on the game without showing up in the boxscore. And i think he's better than Morris but maybe im biased lol but i doubt it

• Premium Member

Wow, talk about hyperbole. Collins didn't look all that bad last night.

Besides, it was a blowout. He was just "getting some exercise."

The guy clearly wasn't signed to do anything more than annoy Shaq & Howard in the playoffs and to work with the Hawks' younger bigs. If he doesn't do that, he'll have been a waste.

Collins is here to help mentor our young bigs like Joe Smith and give us 6 tough fouls and a strong big body who knows the NBA game(not saying he can play it but he knows how it is played). I was not ever a fan of the Collins but Jason was always better than Jarron and has more experience than Siler. You don't want a young Big in Siler making a rookie mistake in a close/important game against a Shaq, Dwight or other marquee big and you know what Jason is going to bring you which is hard fouls, defense savvy(semi smart play whether it is a good foul,box out or ect..). If you are a true NBA fan and not only watch our players but know almost every player you know Jason is not even considered as a star. His addition to our team was/is strictly beneficial to show our young bigs that with no real talent you can be successful in this league with playing smart, knowing your role/capabilities, using your advantages to the best of your ability.

If I were going to motivate a young deep team why not higher a successful(he's been in the NBA this long) slop who can motivate some of our players and teach them that with smart play and playing within your self you can have a long career in the NBA. If I'm Josh and Al and I look at my talents/abilities and his I am super pumped and extra hyped about what I can potential become in this league.