• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Mike Fratello

Dexmethylphenidate

realgm link

Bring him home Sund!

Not trying to be mean or anything but........what the heck has Mike Fratello ever done? Dude had one of the best Hawks teams to ever hit the floor, and just like Woody, he couldn't get them out of the 2nd round. I mean really, I liked Fratello when he was here darn near 20 years ago, but he ain't the answer.

• Like 1

Not trying to be mean or anything but........what the heck has Mike Fratello ever done? Dude had one of the best Hawks teams to ever hit the floor, and just like Woody, he couldn't get them out of the 2nd round. I mean really, I liked Fratello when he was here darn near 20 years ago, but he ain't the answer.

and who would be better ?

The only active coaches with a champioship ring are Jackson, Popovich, Brown, and Rivers.

I would not mind having Rivers here but he has 1 more year under contract in Boston and is already talking about wanting some off time and has even used the word "retirement."

Fratello is the closest thing to Hubie Brown we can get.

Edited by coachx

• Premium Member

and who would be better ?

The only active coaches with a champioship ring are Jackson, Popovich, Brown, and Rivers.

I would not mind having Rivers here but he has 1 more year under contract in Boston and is already talking about wanting some off time and has even used the word "retirement."

Fratello is the closest thing to Hubie Brown we can get.

Avery Johnson would be better. He did nothing wrong in Dallas, he can mentor our guards, and he would make us better on defense.

Jeff Van Gundy would be better. He would definitely increase our BBIQ and he's going to bring some toughness. I think he can outcoach his brother every day of the week.

I think we will end up going after Doug Collins and will get him and will be disappointed.

• Premium Member

How many active coaches in the NBA today have rings?

Fratello is a great coach. Comparing the 80's EC playoff picture to today's game is like comparing Mozart to Lady Gaga.

• Like 1

• Moderators

That's my questions about Doug Collins. What has he ever done? I would be seriously disappointed if he became the coach. Fratello i think would do a good job. I agree that Avery Johnson or JVG would probably be better for this team. I think Avery is the way to go.

I love this quote from the article. Idiots.

Fratello was a finalist for the Hornets' job back in 2003 before Tim Floyd was hired to replace Paul Silas.

The Hawks have seemed to model themselves after the Pistons and that is going to continue. The Pistons tired of Carlisle and replaced him with Brown after making a deep playoff run. Then they won a championship.

I wouldn't mind if we get any of the two... Fratello or Van Gundy. They're great coaches and probably the best of what's available on the market.

However, we kind of forget that we have an assistant that would probably do a lot better that Woody... John Drew!

P.S. We all thought that last year's offseason was crucial, but looks like this one will be even more so... with key issues being number one, star player, and two, a head coach...

Avery Johnson would be better. He did nothing wrong in Dallas, he can mentor our guards, and he would make us better on defense.

Jeff Van Gundy would be better. He would definitely increase our BBIQ and he's going to bring some toughness. I think he can outcoach his brother every day of the week.

I think we will end up going after Doug Collins and will get him and will be disappointed.

Replacing woody with Doug Collins would be an EPIC FAIL!!! You think Josh Smith would listen to him haha.

• Premium Member

Collins is a smart guy, but he focuses on too many minor details. It's good for commentary, but I imagine that if he's coaching that way the he get on his players' nerves REAL quick. The game is too fast to try and slow it down to a million tiny details.

Fratello is known for being able to get the most out of his teams. He'll make them play to their strength, whatever it may be - up tempo, down tempo, doesn't matter. He's also very analytical and understands the game on both ends of the court. Avery Johnson knows how to run an offense and is known for screaming about defense - I like him. I like Van Gundy too in the same way that I like Fratello. I'd be ok with any of these guys and NOT OK with any "New Kid On the Block" coach.

Money will probably be an issue, so I'm thinking that's how we roll there...but unless we can land a HIGHLY recommended green coach, I say we have to go with experience.

I mentioned JVG half way through this season and was laughed at; but I would take JVG right now if we could get him.

Exactly.

Fratello's playoff record in his last 6 trips:

2 - 20

LOL . . even Woody has a better playoff winning % than Fratello.

Edited by northcyde

Exactly.

2 - 20

But these guys will still somehow spin how Fratello would be the right man for the job.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/coaches/fratemi99c.html

Edited by northcyde

• Moderators

I don't know that Fratello is the right man for the job but I do know that Fratello's 13th best regular season winning % would be better than 4 of Woodson's 6 seasons. That same season is one of Fratello's 4 losing seasons out of 16 total years compared to Woodson's 4 losing seasons in 6 years.

All the teams and circumstances are unique, but you can easily make some arguments for Fratello over Woodson using some other numbers.

Exactly.

2 - 20

Funny thing is even after that fact he would still be an upgrade. Woody sucks, time to admit it and move on.

These are things that I know to be true.

• Woody needs to be replaced as head coach.
  • Fratello is a better head coach than Woody.
  • There is a reason why Fratello is unemployed.

I would hire Jeff Van Gundy, Avery Johnson. Byron Scott, or maybe even consider Mark Jackson before I'd even remotely consider hiring Fratello and that's not because I dislike Fratello it's just that I feel he is vastly overrated by nostalgic Hawks fans who don't realize that the game has passed him by.

That's my questions about Doug Collins. What has he ever done? I would be seriously disappointed if he became the coach. Fratello i think would do a good job. I agree that Avery Johnson or JVG would probably be better for this team. I think Avery is the way to go.

I love this quote from the article. Idiots.

The Hawks have seemed to model themselves after the Pistons and that is going to continue. The Pistons tired of Carlisle and replaced him with Brown after making a deep playoff run. Then they won a championship.

The Hawks also gave Detroit Sheed and then Detroit win a championship.

The Hawks also gave Detroit Sheed and then Detroit win a championship.

BK gave Detroit Sheed and then Detroit won a championship, there fixed it for you. It's good to see die hard Woodstans finally seeing the light, gives me slightly more hope the ASG can also come to this conclusion.

Fratello is old but something not considered is he could possibly attract some free agents to play for him. Wilkens is my only logical theory as to why Mutumbo signed with Atlanta back in the mid 90's.

"Fratello was head coach of the Memphis Grizzlies from December 2004 to December 2006. In his first season he inherited a 5–11 team that he turned around to win 45 games and advance to the playoffs. Fratello built on that record the following year to win 49 games and return to the playoffs for a second consecutive season. Before departing in December 2006, his record was 6–24 taking his overall record with Memphis to 95–87."

Edited by Kimsey

• Premium Member

BK gave Detroit Sheed and then Detroit won a championship, there fixed it for you. It's good to see die hard Woodstans finally seeing the light, gives me slightly more hope the ASG can also come to this conclusion.

Fratello is old but something not considered is he could possibly attract some free agents to play for him. Wilkens is my only logical theory as to why Mutumbo signed with Atlanta back in the mid 90's.

"Fratello was head coach of the Memphis Grizzlies from December 2004 to December 2006. In his first season he inherited a 5–11 team that he turned around to win 45 games and advance to the playoffs. Fratello built on that record the following year to win 49 games and return to the playoffs for a second consecutive season. Before departing in December 2006, his record was 6–24 taking his overall record with Memphis to 95–87."

I also like what he did in Cleveland with that young team that nobody thought should be playing as well as they were. He had them slowed down to a crawl, playing a methodical game that worked to combat their inexperience.

It's not nostalgia for me. He did well in Atlanta, and had them very competitive in a very tough league. But honestly, I paid little attention to Fratello while he was here. I became a Czar fan after he left. I really liked what he did in Cleveland, but mostly I became a fan after listening to him call games and reading up on him. He's got an old-school mentality, knows players, knows the game inside and out, and would be a great fit for this club. I have no doubt.