• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Avery Johnson and Dwane Casey finalist for Hawks Head Coach Vacancy.

JTB

ESPN and Sports Illustrated are reporting that Avery Johnson is one of the finalists for the Hawks' head coaching job along with Dwane Casey, the Mavericks assistant. Johnson is thought to be the leading candidate for the Nets' job now that Jeff Van Gundy has declined interest and Tom Thibodeau has agreed to a deal with the Bulls.

Marc Stein of ESPN says Johnson has "emerged as a finalist for the Atlanta Hawks' vacancy" while Frank Hughes of SI writes Casey is "still believed to be the front-runner for the job". The Hawks' "general manager Rick Sund and owner Michael Gearon Jr. should make a final decision by mid-week," Hughes adds. Former YES broadcaster Mark Jackson and Hawk assistant Larry Drew will also be interviewed over the next two days.

Johnson has met with Rod Thorn at least once, according to reports.

http://www.netsdaily.com/2010/6/6/1504583/johnson-a-finalist-for-hawks-job

I am happy to see this and happy to see that the hawks are finally getting ready to make a decision! I am hoping and praying its Avery Johnson that gets the job. Anyways glad to see a decision to be made mid week of this week (supposely anyways)

Edited by JTB

• Premium Member

seems like it's taking forever but that's understandable since this is such a big decision.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

Diesel is probably right.

If they were down to two candidates, why would they continue to talk to others?

I trust Diesel on this more than I trust the "experts" who write some of the

sports stuff we read. I believe Disesl is better informed about what is going

on and how our GM operates.

:snowballfight:

• Premium Member

I hope they choose Avery. He's exactly the type guy this team needs at this point in time and his resume backs that up. I believe Sund has wanted Casey all along, but hiring Casey wouldn't make sense. Why would you turn to hire an assistant as the head coach for a 50 win playoff team looking to take the next step? Not trying to knock Casey, but if Rick Sund wasn't the GM, would he be a candidate for this job? Just sayin'.

• Like 1

I hope they choose Avery. He's exactly the type guy this team needs at this point in time and his resume backs that up. I believe Sund has wanted Casey all along, but hiring Casey wouldn't make sense. Why would you turn to hire an assistant as the head coach for a 50 win playoff team looking to take the next step? Not trying to knock Casey, but if Rick Sund wasn't the GM, would he be a candidate for this job? Just sayin'.

I agree. Casey makes no sense. I believe an experienced former HC is needed. No mention of Byron Scott means to me, Scott is headed to LA. Why is JVG not considered? They better get another experienced guy to back up Avery cause Avery may decide to go elsewhere. Choosing Casey as default will be unfortunate.

Our first and only draft pick workout from what I can find is on June 14th, I'm sure we'll have a coach by then watching it and chiming in. That in my mind has to be the unofficial deadline for a hire, if there's no coach by then expect it to be pushed back or canceled.

I am not a big fan of Avery and I am okay with Casey but Avery means a chance at Lebron, Casey means a small chance at resigning Joe. LET'S GO AVERY!!!

avery_johnson.jpg

Edited by nbasuperstar40

Diesel is probably right.

If they were down to two candidates, why would they continue to talk to others?

I trust Diesel on this more than I trust the "experts" who write some of the

sports stuff we read. I believe Disesl is better informed about what is going

on and how our GM operates.

:snowballfight:

while that is true and i was thinking the same thing lets look at it this way..............on the real side we all know that the hawks aren't going to sign mark jackson as their next coach or even larry drew. mark doesn't even have any coaching experince what so ever so knowing sund he's not going to hire mark jackson to take the hawks to the next level, hell sund will be putting his job on the line if he hired mark and larry wont get the nod because of woody. Casey and Avery will come before these two for sure. interviewing these other 2 guys are just talk sund wont really hire them. Avery and Casey are far ahead than larry and mark. so in all honesty those two (larry and mark) gets no consideration for truly being the hawks next head coach sund isn't going to put his job on the line and make a dumb decision like that!

Please bring Avery home!!!Please!!!!!

• Like 1

Seems like we only spoke to those 2 guys plus a courtesy talk to Mark Jackson and Drew. What happened to JVG, Byron Scott, Fratello. Why was the list so short?

exactly it's just courtesy talk and thats it! Im pretty sure its down to avery and casey no doubt! and hopefully avery gets the job!

• Moderators

If it's really down to just those two, I suspect the Hawks will make like their Cajun cousins and try to "pull a Thibodeau" (a "full Monty??") on Avery.

They'll give him an offer ($5 million for six years?) and a "take-it-or-leave-it" of ten days, to allow Avery time to negotiate with the Russian Mob up in the Jersey swamplands. No bite by the Monday before the draft, and they give a reduced ($4 million for 4 years) offer to Dwane.

~lw3

• Premium Member

I'm not anti-Avery Johnson, but I sure aint anti-Dwayne Casey. The pros and cons for one do not net much different than the pros and cons for the other. Get a grip.

• Like 1