• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

With Joe back, does the Jordon Crawford pick make sense anymore?

RedDawg#8

Assuming Joe signs which by all accounts says he will, we now have 3 SG's on our roster. For all of Jordan's scoring ability and firepower we were raving about when losing Joe was a real possibility, it now looks like he will barely see the court this year. Neither him or Jamal are suitable options for many minutes at the 1. Should we have kept Damion James, who was great value at 24? Will we just wait until next season when Jamal's deal is up and simply slide Jordon into that role?

Hindsight is 20/20 but i really liked Damion James as a prospect and thought he could be an immediate help at the 3 as far as defense and rebounding. Here's our depth chart had we kept him:

PG: Teague, Bibby

SG: Joe, Craw, Evans

SF: Marv, James

PF:Smith,James

C: Horford, Zaza

Heres where we are now:

SG: Joe, Craw, Craw, Evans

SF:Marv, Evans

PF:Smith

The James lineup would have given us more size, rebounding and depth at both forward positions

With our current lineup, we still lack a true back up SF, and are stockpiled with gaurds. Its almost certain that we will have to move one or more of them for a frountcourt player. Even if Pape Sy makes the team we still have to bring in a PF and Center worth a damn.

How much sense does our draft make now?

We got 3 ballhogs on the team lol. I wanna see how this turns out.

I know right. Craw and Craw have more in comin than their last name. Their games are a clone of each others. Whether we lose him sooner or later I would assume Jamal isnt in our long term plans based on his contract expiring and the redundancy of him and Jordan on the same roster.

I see what your saying and made similar threads to this if we were to get JJ back and since it looks like we are thebest thing i can say is that we have trading pieces in marvin, bibby, and sad to say but Jamal now too. An we mine as well add J smoove to that list as well. Actually there are many big time trades that could go down for the hawks if we decide to trade Josh smith and jamal crawford for players like melo or cp3.

If Joe puts his name on the Hawks dotted line then Jamal Crawford has at most one season left with us. So yes Jordan is a good pick because we will need serious production out of him after next season.

• Premium Member

i would think Jamal's trade value is at it's peak. Tough giving up a guaranteed 16-20 pts off the bench though.

Edited by NineOhTheRino
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Yes. As others have said, it makes Jamal a potential trade piece in a big deal.

It also lets use play JJ more minutes at SF.

I have no problem with picking up a legit scorer at #27.

• Like 1

Give us our potential 6th man for years to come if Jamal leave us next year. Which you have to figure Craw will want to cash in one more big contract before his career is over with. Hawks will likely not want to pay it. Another 6th man of the year type of season as this previous. He will be looking at $7-$9 mil per for 3-4 years. Which might be too rich for the Hawks. You got to have long term views of certain moves instead of how will it impact the team the upcoming season.

Assuming Joe signs which by all accounts says he will, we now have 3 SG's on our roster. For all of Jordan's scoring ability and firepower we were raving about when losing Joe was a real possibility, it now looks like he will barely see the court this year. Neither him or Jamal are suitable options for many minutes at the 1. Should we have kept Damion James, who was great value at 24? Will we just wait until next season when Jamal's deal is up and simply slide Jordon into that role?

Hindsight is 20/20 but i really liked Damion James as a prospect and thought he could be an immediate help at the 3 as far as defense and rebounding. Here's our depth chart had we kept him:

SG: Joe, Craw, Evans

SF: Marv, James

PF:Smith,James

Heres where we are now:

SG: Joe, Craw, Craw, Evans

SF:Marv, Evans

PF:Smith

The James lineup would have given us more size, rebounding and depth at both forward positions

With our current lineup, we still lack a true back up SF, and are stockpiled with gaurds. Its almost certain that we will have to move one or more of them for a frountcourt player. Even if Pape Sy makes the team we still have to bring in a PF and Center worth a damn.

How much sense does our draft make now?

i thought that crawford was a great pick, this kid has a great game unfortunately i dont think he wil get much of a chance with us, so the pick wasnt good

Don't watch enough college basketball to have an opinion, but I believe in the BPA theory. Joe is versatile at playing 1-3 if neccesary. Just like we should have picked Brandon Roy regardless of JJ. I want the best guy left on the board.

We got 3 ballhogs on the team lol. I wanna see how this turns out.

Disagree with this. Joe Johnson does shoot a lot, but that is what he was asked to do. However, 18% of his possessions ended in him making an assist. 14% of Jamal Crawford's possessions ended in an assist.

What's interesting is that when Joe and Jamal were on the court together, the Hawks averaged anywhere from 117 points per 100 possessions to 120 points per 100 possessions. Those two were clearly the key to the offense, but that's how things were designed.