Looks like Shaq is running out of options.

D.R.P.

After Dallas' trade for Tyson Chandler and the resigning of Haywood; that scratches them off the list. He either take the MLE from the Hawks or Shaq gets on his knees and kisses Pat Riley's a**, in order to take the vet minimum from Miami. I just don't see Pat Riley taking him back after the crap Shaq talked about the Heat. Not only did Shaq piss off Riley, he also pissed off the owner, Micky Arison.

The Hawks shouldn't let Shaq force them to make a deal just to pay him more than the MLE. It's not like Shaq is even going to play 75% percent of the games; he's bound to miss significant time with some injury.

I didn't think Dallas as an option for him anyway. He meets with Riley on Wed but they will offer him the vet min w/o a guarantee to start. I doubt he will leave money on the table to be a whipping boy for Wade, Bron, and Bosh. He still wants to have some influence in the locker room.

I didn't think Dallas as an option for him anyway. He meets with Riley on Wed but they will offer him the vet min w/o a guarantee to start. I doubt he will leave money on the table to be a whipping boy for Wade, Bron, and Bosh. He still wants to have some influence in the locker room.

Big Z is going there also. Only reason Shaq goes to Heat is to upstage Kobe for another ring. That is a defininete possibility IMO.

After Dallas' trade for Tyson Chandler and the resigning of Haywood; that scratches them off the list. He either take the MLE from the Hawks or Shaq gets on his knees and kisses Pat Riley's a**, in order to take the vet minimum from Miami. I just don't see Pat Riley taking him back after the crap Shaq talked about the Heat. Not only did Shaq piss off Riley, he also pissed off the owner, Micky Arison.

The Hawks shouldn't let Shaq force them to make a deal just to pay him more than the MLE. It's not like Shaq is even going to play 75% percent of the games; he's bound to miss significant time with some injury.

Never underestimate Rileys will to win. Forgiving Shaqs indiscretions is a lot easier when championships are in play.

• Premium Member

I honestly don't know what Shaq is thinking at this point. Frankly a full MLE deal for two years is already overpaying for him and his wanting more than the MLE is not realistic. He doesn't even seem to have any options right now outside of Atlanta or ring chasing in Miami where they already resigned Haslem and are going to sign Big Z.

• Premium Member

I'm not sure if Shaq is the best guy for the Hawks locker room. On the court, I have no doubt he could be the missing piece for us though. Shaq doesn't exactly have a good effect on a locker room. I'm only bringing this up because of how off the court problems have a tendency to affect on court performance. You can look at the Hawks down the stretch and into the playoffs for proof of that.

• Premium Member

Shaq could always retire. However, if Shaq wants the challenge of getting to the finals, he needs to join our team. We have a very good team and he can blend in as C. He can match up with Howard. I would even promise him that he starts.

I would of course play Smoove at SF. Marvin off the bench. I would give Horf the PF and we'd play Shaq/Zaza/Horf as our three headed Monster.

The point is that if we could offer something that Shaq desired, we need to do that and get him here.

Shaq could always retire. However, if Shaq wants the challenge of getting to the finals, he needs to join our team. We have a very good team and he can blend in as C. He can match up with Howard. I would even promise him that he starts.

I would of course play Smoove at SF. Marvin off the bench. I would give Horf the PF and we'd play Shaq/Zaza/Horf as our three headed Monster.

The point is that if we could offer something that Shaq desired, we need to do that and get him here.

Shaq wouldn't start and Smoove will not play SF.

• Like 1

I honestly don't know what Shaq is thinking at this point. Frankly a full MLE deal for two years is already overpaying for him and his wanting more than the MLE is not realistic. He doesn't even seem to have any options right now outside of Atlanta or ring chasing in Miami where they already resigned Haslem and are going to sign Big Z.

+1

Looks like to me the Hawks are running out of options.

As Jacko would say, 'you are not alone'.

I have the exact same feeling. The Hawks' options appear to be as limited as Shaq's right now. I know that it's still July but the last slow song is cranking up, the dance floor is crowded, and all of the good-looking girls are getting swiped left and right. Pretty soon, all you're going to have left are the ones you don't want to dance with (Anthony Tolliver or Mikki Moore) or become a wallflower and watch from the sidelines....

Looks like Dallas is really on the move. I thought Al harrington would be a nice fit off the bench here to add more scoring, but due to shot selection/defense I am sticking to my guns with Barnes until he is swiped up.

The Mavericks have targeted Al Harrington in the free agency market and hope to sign him using their mid-level exception.

Dallas prefers Harrington over Shaquille O'Neal.

Read more: http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap/#ixzz0tb3SrEMZ

I agree. I mentioned the fact that Atlanta would be overpaying to get him my blog recently. Shaq's decline in play from the age of 37 to the age of 38 was drastic. He went from a 10.7 WARP to a 3.6 WARP in one year, and his wins produced fell from 7.8 to 1.3. He's barely better than a replacement level player at this point in his career, and with another year, he could very well decline into nothing more than a replacement level player. The Hawks would be better off using part of the MLE to sign Anthony Tolliver, who at least brings some upside to the table.

I'm not sure if Shaq is the best guy for the Hawks locker room. On the court, I have no doubt he could be the missing piece for us though. Shaq doesn't exactly have a good effect on a locker room. I'm only bringing this up because of how off the court problems have a tendency to affect on court performance. You can look at the Hawks down the stretch and into the playoffs for proof of that.

I think Shaq could very well become a vocal problem in the locker room. The Hawks are likely going to be more of a running team this year, so that means Shaq's time on the floor should be very limited as he would slow this team down tremendously. He should be nothing more than a defensive replacement to give Al Horford a blow every now and again, and I highly doubt he should play more than 10-15 minutes per game in that capacity. Because of this, I think Shaq could get his ego burned and cause some problems in the locker room.

• Premium Member

Think the inclination is to trade for a big and use the MLE to fill-in other slots in the depth chart... and think that while Shaq has been one FA option, he is/was one of a half-dozen ones, and never the prohibitive "Joshua" of the bunch (ie, lead us into the Promised Land).

So... concerned? Yes, but not to the level that some others in this thread appear to be. Trades would seem to be more complicated to work out, thus more time consuming. I'm sure Sund wakes up every morning right now re-evaluating his list of options due to the previous day's turn of events. I dare say he's probably had a favorite option or two or maybe even three crossed off the possibility chart by now, but he still has assets in his account.