• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Anybody ever wonder what Horford's true height is?

JTB

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Not that it matters but what is horfords real damn height! i mean im not trying to make a fight here but it is hilarious that Horford is diff. heights when you search him! Then on this board I notice many would say he's 6'9 and would be so sure! but if he's 6'9 why dont these other websites including nba.com (who should have everything right) have him listed at 6'10! So who do we go by people on this board or websites that cover the NBA players?

in case your wondering here's a few of popular websites that list horford at 6'10:

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/al_horford/index.html

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=3213

http://nba.fanhouse.com/players/al-horford/4245

http://prosportsdaily.sportsdirectinc.com/basketball/nba-players.aspx?page=/data/nba/players/player724364.html

http://hoopshype.com/players/al_horford.htm

as far as websites listing him at 6'9 i only managed to find one which was realgm.com but i have seen more

http://www.realgm.com/src_playerfile/1312/al_horford/

So not that it really matters but im intrested in knowing so what do you think Horford's true height is 6'9 or 6'10? Vote ATL!

Edited by JTB

Horford measured 6' 8.75" without shoes and 6' 9.75" with shoes at the pre-draft measurements in 2007 so unless he's grown since then I'd say that is his true height.

http://www.draftexpr...Al-Horford-415/

Too bad you could not have saved him all the time from his needless research.

Height does not matter. I have never seen any one block a shot or grab a rebound by hitting the ball with their head. Standing reach is the important length measurement.

Edited by coachx

Height does not matter. I have never seen any one block a shot or grab a rebound by hitting the ball with their head. Standing reach is the important length measurement.

Yes. In fact, wouldn't you rather have the 6'9" guy with the reach of a 7'2" guy, because his lower center of gravity makes him harder to move?

Yes. In fact, wouldn't you rather have the 6'9" guy with the reach of a 7'2" guy, because his lower center of gravity makes him harder to move?

Not necessarily ... If you have a guy with a 7'2 reach that is heavy/muscular I'll take him over the shorter guy with the same reach if he's thin because even with a lower center of gravity on the shorter guy he's going to be a lot easier to move since he is thin.

ok so in shoes he's 6'10 like there listing him on draftexpress.com

I always find the with and without shoes comment funny as if anybody is ever going to play barefoot.I just think the without shoes measurement is sort of pointless.

I always find the with and without shoes comment funny as if anybody is ever going to play barefoot.I just think the without shoes measurement is sort of pointless.

Youve got it backwards. The with shoes measurement is pointless. When people ask you how tall you are do you give the measurement in shoes?

It makes no sense to give measurements with shoes because not every shoe has the same sole thickness. Some teams just like to use the with shoes measurement to inflate player heights.

Iggy and Childress measured the exact same height at the combine without shoes but Iggy is listed at 6'6" and Childress was listed at 6'8". JJ is the same height as Smith and Marvin but is listed 2" shorter.

Well Al has a wingspan of 7'0.75 a standing reach of 8'11 and a 35.5 in vertical. Are those numbers enough to compensate for his lack of ideal height?

I say yes, but if he added more weight (which would obviously lower his vert as well as center of gravity) I think he would be twice as effective.

Well Al has a wingspan of 7'0.75 a standing reach of 8'11 and a 35.5 in vertical. Are those numbers enough to compensate for his lack of ideal height?

I say yes, but if he added more weight (which would obviously lower his vert as well as center of gravity) I think he would be twice as effective.

For comparison sake, the standing reach of some other centers and power forward types:

DeMarcus Cousin - 9'5"

Brook Lopez - 9'5"

Greg Oden - 9'4"

Dwight Howard - 9'3.5"

Andrew Bogut - 9'2.5"

Emeka Okafor - 9'2.5"

Al Jefferson - 9'2"

Tyson Chandler - 9'2"

Chris Bosh - 9'1"

David West - 9'0.5"

Carlos Boozer - 9'0.5"

Amare Stoudamire - 9'0.5"

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?year=All&sort2=DESC&draft=0&pos=0&source=All&sort=6

the research wasnt needless. what your doing is trusting draftexpress over other websites that tell something diffrent though they arent as detailed as draftexpress it means nothing. anyways there are many websites including draftexpress that list horford at either 6'10 or 6'9.......just search around and see for yourself.

the research wasnt needless. what your doing is trusting draftexpress over other websites that tell something diffrent though they arent as detailed as draftexpress it means nothing. anyways there are many websites including draftexpress that list horford at either 6'10 or 6'9.......just search around and see for yourself.

I don't think calling your research needless is fair but just for general reference you can trust the measurements put up by DX as they are very highly regarded and as far as I know they're the only site that lists all of the pre-draft measurements for the public.

I don't think calling your research needless is fair but just for general reference you can trust the measurements put up by DX as they are very highly regarded and as far as I know they're the only site that lists all of the pre-draft measurements for the public.

Aran Smith and nbadraft.net does as well. Those two have separated themselves from the comp.

I think the vertical also needs to be taken into account, because it is a part of the total area the player can cover.

Let's take DeMarcus Cousins for example. His standing reach is 9'5". His one step vertical is 27.5". Due to that, his max reach is 11'8.5".

Now, Al Horford has a standing reach of 8'11". His one step vertical is 35.5". Due to that, his max reach is 11'10.5". As a result of his veritical, Al actually has a greater max reach than DeMarcus Cousins.

Conversely, when you take a freak like Dwight Howard, you find that his 9'3.5" standing reach and 35.5" vertical gives him a max reach of 12'3", and that is why he is such a difficult match up defensively. His length and athleticism are off the charts.

Your wingspan gives you horizontal coverage, so players with large wingspans will be able to cover more area side to side and front to back, and your quickness comes into play here as well. Your reach and vertical give you vertical coverage. It is a complicated calculus formula to determine the area under the curve, but when you combine all the numbers, players with length and athleticism will cover more area than players who have size but lack athleticism. When you think about it from a physics standpoint, the results are intuitive.

As a result, I would much rather have a 6'9" player with a 35 inch vertical than a 7'0" player with a 24 inch vertical and limited short area quickness. As a result, I would have chosen Jarvis Varnado over Solomon Alabi in the draft, as Jarvis had almost 4 inches on Solomon when it came to his max vertical reach and much better short area quickness.

• Like 1

You have to add to this how quick they are off their feet and anticipation. Bill Russell was a master of the latter and played bigger than his size.

Or you could just be a bad mother f'er and stay on your feet like Deke did (although he doesn't stay on his feet here lol) and swat shots away and then wag your finger at them.

You have to add to this how quick they are off their feet and anticipation. Bill Russell was a master of the latter and played bigger than his size.

That's true. When it comes to shot blocking, timing is just as important as anything. Also, some players just have an instinct to not bite on pump fakes. I remember when Erick Dampier played at Mississippi State during our Final Four season. No one could get him off his feet on a pump fake. Damp was a tremendous shot blocker in college. Timing is something you can't teach a player as well. Some players just have that instinct.

When I talk of length, I'm not necessarily talking about blocking shots. There are some things that go on defensively that cannot be measured. For example, lets take Pau Gasol. Now, I don't think anyone would call Pau a great defender. He doesn't block a lot of shots, and he doesn't get a lot of steals. However, he does change a lot of shots. The average angle of a jump shot in the NBA is around 46 degrees. Pau Gasol has the kind of length and athleticism though that makes players change their shot angle from 46 degrees to 48 degrees, and this is with him standing 7 feet from the shooter.