• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

That game-winning 3 pointer will set Josh back 2 years

NineOhTheRino

• Premium Member

ummm....his three WAS the play of the game. If he doesn't make that shot we are in overtime. This isn't the first game winning three he has made. Smoove will be Smoove... He isn't perfect, he is infuriatingly stupid, but he is still one of our most valuable players.

I was a dumb play that happened to work tonight. I hope we never run it again this season.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I was a dumb play that happened to work tonight. I hope we never run it again this season.

The dumb plays were mostly Joe Johnson's turnovers (and Josh's offensiv foul plus Technical) and our innability to pass the ball in the fourth. Josh Smith bailed us out, not his fault he is getting the ball in the corner with the shot clock running out... What exactly do you suggest he should have done in that situation?

it's true that no player in the league that can't shoot, shoots more outside shots than smoove, but a lot of times he makes them when it matters. he won't be set back 2 years, he'll just be what he is, and always has been. josh bailed joe out tonight. damn joe, hit your freethrows. you cost me some money tonight. spread was -4, two missed freebees at the end killed me

Edited by foeteen14

• Premium Member
. Josh Smith bailed us out, not his fault he is getting the ball in the corner with the shot clock running out... What exactly do you suggest he should have done in that situation?

You did read that I hope that we don't run that play again this season right? Which means that Al should not have passed the ball to him in the corner in the 1st place.

Edited by Peoriabird

I have made the analogy before, but Josh Smith is to the Atlanta Hawks what Andruw Jones was to the Atlanta Braves. He's a supremely talented player who is a game changer defensively, but like Andruw, he has become infatuated with one aspect of his offense. With Andruw, he was infatuated with trying to pull every pitch that was thrown to him. The one year where Don Baylor got it through to him that he needed to hit that outside pitch to the opposite field, he was an MVP candidate. Andruw did that for a season and fell back into his bad habits. Josh Smith is infatuated with the perimeter jumper. Of his 11 shots tonight, 7 were outside 15 feet. That is probably never going to change. If the Hawks decide to keep him long term, then this is something they will have to live with in all likelyhood, and if the Hawks put him on the market, I doubt they would get the value of what he does for this team defensively.

Josh really isnt as bad of a jump shooter as yall over exaggerate, he is just mush better going to the hole, as is EVERYBODY but bibby........

STOP WHINING WE WON GO HAWKS

Josh really isnt as bad of a jump shooter as yall over exaggerate,(2/3 from 3 point range this season) he is just mush better going to the hole, as is EVERYBODY but bibby........

STOP WHINING WE WON GO HAWKS

• Like 1

You guys sure do know how to take the joy out of winning

Seriously Josh Smith has done MUCH Better on limiting his deep jumper opportunities

That game should have never been that close if the refs didn't completely swallow their whistle on our end of the floor and I give Josh credit for not drawing a tech especially when they ripped the guy's jersey

On the issue of whether allowing Josh free-rein to shoot open jumpers *MIGHT* potentially elevate his game in other areas enough to come out with a net positive:

Sorry but...... but there's just too damn many people on the same side of the boat on this issue. With many forum heavy hitters on that side, for that matter. Just makes me nervous ---- when the forum know-it-all's agree with each other --- unable to depart from their stats and conventional ways of analyzing things.

The issue here is a psychological one for Smoove, possibly. And not necessarily as easily argued as most people here want to make it appear, imo. It may not be a winnable debate, due to so many other factors which play a role in a TEAM'S performance. Remember we're talking about about the performance of the Hawks TEAM when Smoove shoots free-rein jumpers --- not debating whether he is or isn't a good shooter or shooting high percentage shots when he shoots a jumper.

We all know how last year ended. In 2008, when we played the eventual NBA Champs's as well/better than as anyone they faced -- Smoove shot many jumpers. And 3's. The last two years when his shooting jumpers became as major sore point -- what did the TEAM do? We couldn't even come within 25 pts of winning a game against the runner-up last year. And did not win a single game in 2009 against Cleveland (another conference runner-up)

So...... for those of you who enjoy chewing on micro-statistics rather than overall "team performance" --- why not chew on that one? Seems that my "statistic" trumps all of yours', does it not?

I personally like Smoove's *overall* body of work so far. I'll reserve final judgement for much later. But due to the heavy weight on one side of the boat ---- I'm not going to go near that side for the boat moment --- if for no better reason than that I don't like crowds full of experts.

CS

some may disagree with me, but i think josh stepped up as a captain on this team. he played the role of enforcer, big shot maker, and game finisher. i forgive him for the tech, the refs wouldn't call a foul, so he made them call one. the whistle came back into play and we were again on a level playing field. too many times in the past the hawks have let these games get away from them, tonight josh said it wasn't going to happen. go hawks.

• Premium Member

It's the few that goes in that's the problem. Dude hits one and in his mind it justifies the next 20 failed attempts.

I agree. My head was in hand when I saw that shot go up and in. I could not celebrate it because I knew that it was the ruining of Josh Smith.

• Premium Member

Are we talking about the cat who had the game winning shot? Wait, we can't be talking about the cat who had the game winning block can we? Because if that's what 'ruins' a player, than you guys are living in some bizarro world. A team captain stepped up and made two of the biggest plays of the game and all everyone here can do is whine because he didn't do it the way they thought he should have. Screw the method, I want results. I saw a young player believe in himself and accept the challenge to make big plays when the team needed them the most. If that's not growth, I don't know what is. Get over yourselves and your notions about what you think Josh Smith should be. :shake_puter:

Edited by hawkman
  • Like 1