• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What were you wrong about?

Wretch

• Premium Member

Don't know if we've ever had a thread like this before. Everyone is very quick to point out how right they were about something or how they were the first to realize something. But my question is...what were YOU dead-@ss wrong about? Anyone willing to step forward and eat crow?

For me...I was DEAD *ss wrong about Bogut. lol Well, maybe half wrong. I thought he would be decent, but I really wanted nothing to do with him. I would have taken Chris Paul in 2005, but back then...if I had a choice between Marvin and Bogut, I would have taken Marvin. I was actually happy that we didn't get the first pick.

andrew-bogut.jpg

I was also wrong as a velvet painting of a whale and a donkey gettin' it on about Adam Morrison. I just saw the "IT" in him for some reason. If I was a GM (thankfully I'm not, lol), this dude would have gotten me fired...

adam-morrison3.jpg

I was also wrong about Childress. kickcan.gifYeah...I was pretty sure he was the next Scottie Pippen. Chill is an average journeyman. He wasn't my pick in 2004, but in hindsight, he was not worth all the defending I did of him. I still have faith though that he'll find his place. (Sorry for all those bounced checks I told people to write on his career after the Hawks! lol)

childress_300_080202.jpg

Anyone else? Or were you all pretty much right about everything you predicted? lol

• Like 2

• Moderators

Last season I was wrong about Jamal. I thought he'd be a slight upgrade over Flip but he was much more than that. Of course this season I was right about Jamal....just sayin.

6a00d83451b84f69e2011571991682970b-450wi.jpg

You know Bogut's a good player but look at the Bucs. They have one of the best centers in the league, some decent other pieces, a good coach and are 13 games under .500 in east. I'm not sure Bogut is who I want my team built around but maybe i'm missing something.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Last season I was wrong about Jamal. I thought he'd be a slight upgrade over Flip but he was much more than that. Of course this season I was right about Jamal....just sayin.

Same with me.

I don't follow college ball nearly well enough to make predictions about the quality of players in the draft, so I don't really have any "good" or "bad" predictions to report with respect to draft picks.

I also thought as recently as 18 months ago that the Blazers would be contending for a title this year.

I also thought that the problem with the Hawks wasn't the players, but the way the players were used. I thought a new coach would pretty much be all that was needed. I still think that the players have the collective talent necessary to win a title, but I'm now convinced that the "chemistry" between our "core" players will never allow that to happen. I thought maybe a new PG would solve the issue, but it doesn't look like it has. I think Josh, JJ, Marvin, Jamal, and Al have grown too comfy with their own roles on this team, and won't change unless at least one of our Big Three (Josh/JJ/Al) goes. Put another way, I thought that getting rid of Woody was both necessary and sufficient to get this team over the hump. Now I just think that it was necessary. And on that count, I really really hope I'm wrong again.

Edited by niremetal
  • Like 1

Oh man I'm gonna have to go back through my old posts to find mine, which I'm sure there are a plethora of, but I've got such a bad memory that I can't remember them all.

Off the top of my head I know I was wrong about Kosta Koufos who after seeing him in the summer league and pre-season a couple of years ago I thought he'd be a terrific defensive and rebounding center.

More to come later ...

I thought Marvin would take the step this year and be considered an "important role player" if people could forget about the sunk cost of where he was drafted. Instead he has regressed.

I thought that the team would ahve dealt Crawford just because I don't think they intend to bring him back. So keeping him through the deadline may mean that they actually do have some hope of keeping him.

I never thought the ASG would offer Horford a contract that he would accept. And they would make him go out and set his market value as a RFA like they did with Josh Smith.

I never thought Josh Smith could shoot .330 on so many 3 point shots. He only took 7 last year- I expected him to shoot more from the outside with the new offense but I still never saw that coming.

Going back Further Horford is far more useful on offense at this point than I thought he would be. I thought in the new offense he was going to end up shooting more long jumpers would give him a bump in PPG but at the expense of his efficiency. Instead he has been shooting 4.7 long jumpers a game and hitting at a 56% clip. Thats just unreal. I still don't an offense that tries to generate so many long jumpers but I can't argue with his results.

Edited by spotatl

I wanted Marvin in the 2005 draft. I never thought Rondo would ever be the player he is. I didnt mind the Shelden pick because we needed a big man. I thought Sund did good retaining Bibby, ZaZa and Marvin. I thought Smoove would be a superstar not long after the dunk contest. I thought Travis Mays would be an all star for the Hawks after the trade.

Great thread. I (and I am not alone here) was out of line about drafting Yi in 2007. Horford was absolutely the pick! I should have seen the red flags regarding level of competition and his refusal to workout with anything other than chairs. This is why you want your GM to have been around the block and made a few mistakes!

I also thought Crittenton was the pick at 11 instead of Acie Law. Should have been Stuckey (or at least Thad Young). That was some GT homer-ism biting me there. I thought Crit had more heart and character.....at least that's what Hewitt was telling us. Now we know Hewitt has little idea what he's talking about.

Come to think of it, people rarely bring up that we passed on Stuckey for Law. Why is that?

Edited by txsting

I kind of figured Chillz would be more productive in the league. Who knows, he may have been if he decided to stay with the Hawks and play his role here. Instead he took his talents overseas, then came back to the NBA only to be buried on PHX's bench. Sad really, i'd still love to see Chillz come back here.

I wanted Marvin in the 2005 draft. I never thought Rondo would ever be the player he is. I didnt mind the Shelden pick because we needed a big man. I thought Sund did good retaining Bibby, ZaZa and Marvin. I thought Smoove would be a superstar not long after the dunk contest. I thought Travis Mays would be an all star for the Hawks after the trade.

Me? I've NEVER been wrong! :P Just kidding...

I was on board with most of your thoughts here at the time, NJHawk. I bought into what all the scouts, analysts and mediots were saying about Marvin, and that he might have the highest career peak out of all the players chosen in the 2005 draft. I also bought into the consensus about Shelden, that physically he and his game were the most 'NBA ready' out of all the players in the 2006 draft. I didn't see tremendous upside in him as his body and game were already fully mature, but I thought he could be a real banger type force and low post presence that we could surely have used in Atlanta. I disagreed with taking him that highly, as nearly everyone thought that he was somewhat a reach at #5 due to lack of future upside potential, but I did not disagree with drafting that player.

I also agreed with re-signing Bibbs, Zaza and Marvin. I thought Sund did a pretty good job locking up those three 'essential' players at what I considered to be a fair value, DOH! And I thought that Smoove would have developed into a first-tier superstar by now too.

I was also extremely wrong about Mike Conley. After watching him play his freshman season at Ohio State, I was convinced that out of the PG troika of Chris Paul, Deron Williams and Mike Conley, Conley would clearly prove himself to be the best of the lot, and that has not happened. He's a good player, but nowhere near either of those two, and he's not even as good as #21 pick Rajon Rondo.

And Wretch, Adam Morrison? Seriously? I lost all belief in him after he broke down crying after his Gonzaga team was beaten by UCLA in the 2006 NCAA Tournament, one of the most awkward and uncomfortable moments in sports history in my opinion. I mean it was terribly awkward just watching it on TV, him collapsing to the floor in a flood of grief so intense that the UCLA players actually broke away from their victory celebration so that they could come over and try to offer him comfort and help him to his feet. I had an extreme gut feeling right then and there that Adam Morrison was not going to have much if any of an NBA career, because the NBA is a dog eat dog place filled with alpha males, and a player so sensitive as that would be eaten alive in that kind of environment, and he was.

crying2.jpgadam-morrison-crying-gonzaga.jpg

• Like 1

Every single game when I look at the boxscore I first look and see what Marvin did. I still have hope that he will start putting up the stats that I thought he would provide when we drafted him. I thought at the time that Marvin was resigned that it was a good deal for the Hawks as I thought "he is still improving". Of course his stats are worse now than they were then.

I was horribly and drastically wrong about what Etan could bring to this team. I thought 10-15 minutes a game for sure. Someone that could produce in a limited role and that wanted to be here. Shaq who?

I thought this Hawks team would start out slow and improve as the year went on. I figured the new offense would take some time for the team to fully learn and perfect. It seems like the complete opposite is happening. The team started out well at the beginning of the year is is slowing down in the past few weeks. The level of competition seeming to have more of an impact than the level of understanding of the new offense.

Here is a whole bunch of wrong "NBA Prediction Thread"

I picked Utah to win it all...

I picked Wall as Rookie of the Year...

I picked Jerry Sloan as Coach of the Year...

I picked Antawn Jamison as 6th man of the year....

I thought Wall was the consensus ROY after the first couple of weeks his numbers looked like a poor man's Chris Paul with 5+ turnovers. Then Griffin exploded and never looked back, actually helping his team win.

I wouldnt say I was wrong about the Bulls because no one had them cruising the way they are with the expected injuries they have endured.

To take it back a bit, I owe Durant an apology to his face for being outraged that he won ROY over Al who helped us to the playoffs while Durant watched. Love Al to death, but, no.

Was also wrong about the Finals, although Boston should've still won without Perkins. Held the Lakers to 18 points in a half didn't they?

Joe is actually worse than even I thought he'd be this year.

Was wrong about Jamal being a career loser last year, although he did come back to Earth.

Also wrote off the Chandler acquisition as "blah." Wrong.

And in advance, who on the board has Jimmer Fredette scoring over 10 a game as a rookie?

Edited by benhillboy

Thought our offense was gonna be much better i was caught in the LD hype just like everyone else .

Since LD promised there was gonna be much more movement in the offense so i thought JJ was gonna have 1 of his best seasons.

Thought blake griffin was gonna be a draft bust. To me he just didnt have the look of an nba star. I just thought he was just gonna be another extremely athletic undersized big ( like tyrus thomas or hakim warrick) with not much skill who wont play hard.

Edited by yungsta

Come to think of it, people rarely bring up that we passed on Stuckey for Law. Why is that?

I have no Earthly idea. You would think an intelligent scout would forsee the difference between the two as it translates to the next level. We'd be waaaaaaaay better off had we had one.

• Like 1

My biggest one recently. I moved back to Georgia in 2007 and when I came I was fortunate enough to have excess money. So not sure what to do with it I just put it down on my house thinking "property is always a solid investment". Also, I bought on the west side of town excited about how much house I could get for the money.

I got a great deal when I bought it...it appraised for 232k, bought it for 215k. It is now worth about $160k. I work north side now. 50 mile drive to work and can't sell the house without losing the money I put down. So I now do a 100 mile round trip commute 5 days a week (2200 miles a month). This great deal in housing costs me $300 a month in gas now.

I was so wrong.

On a different note, anyone living within 15 minutes of Alpharetta want to trade houses????? 5 bed, 3 bath, mountain views :) :) :)

and on a more basketball related note. I thought the Priest Lauderdale pick was solid.

I was wrong about Joe Johnson. Didnt want him to get away for nothing, but with the way he's been playing, I think I'd rather have that extra cap space.

Edited by terrell