• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hmm...CP3 to Atlanta option?

y2kenta

With NOH being in a very vulnerable spot a lot like DEN was last season, whereas Paul is hinting for a trade to a very specific team or couple of teams, we could offer them a very intriguing offer. Paul was rumored to have said that his heart is in NO and if he's traded he wants to make sure the Hornets can have something to move forward with. Not like Melo who cared less and just wanted to get to NY.

Lets see New York has nothing, Orlando has better but nothing overwhelmingly good, and Clippers have nothing great either. So, enter the Hawks! Hawks have a lot of interesting pieces and contracts for trading. This is my idea to get CP3 here to ATL and also give NOH something to build with.

ATL sends Joe, Teague, and Kirk (expiring)

- ATL add mega PG CP3 and great DEF SG/SF to lead with Al and Josh with toughness and real experience. Hawks either add a bench SG like Shannon Brown or J-Rich this summer or a different FA SG next summer. Or with Paul here, we could offer Horford + Ariza + 1st for Dwight.

NOH sends CP3, Ariza, and $3Mil CASH

NOH gets an AllStar SG, a young blazing PG with high potential, and Kirk's $8Mil expiring deal to move forward with. This deal way better than the Knicks, Magic, or Clippers can/will offer the Hornets.

Clippers actually can put together a very nice package. They have Minny's unprotected (I'm pretty sure) pick in a much anticipated draft along with young talent (Gordon, Jordan, Bledsoe) and expiring (kaman)

and I think if NOH were to talk with the Hawks, Joe would not be involved -- Smith of Horford.

• Premium Member

Reading all of the rumors, and rumors are what they are, I dont see the Hawks mentioned except as a sidebar to any Paul trades. Our GM doesnt have the know how to pull a trade off like this.

The ownership knows they have a competitive team that will make the playoffs and they seem to be happy with that. The Hawks will add veteran minimum salary players to round out the roster, while Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, and Miami will be trying to improve their respective teams. Been a fan since 1976 and this ownership is the worse the Hawks have had. I have no confidence in anyone associated with the Hawks.

Reading all of the rumors, and rumors are what they are, I dont see the Hawks mentioned except as a sidebar to any Paul trades. Our GM doesnt have the know how to pull a trade off like this.

The ownership knows they have a competitive team that will make the playoffs and they seem to be happy with that. The Hawks will add veteran minimum salary players to round out the roster, while Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, and Miami will be trying to improve their respective teams. Been a fan since 1976 and this ownership is the worse the Hawks have had. I have no confidence in anyone associated with the Hawks.

I really don't think ASG is bad. I kinda like them but then again, I am not a Thrashers fan and I was okay with Joe contract ext and still am.

I got some news texting. Good news and bad news.

Good news- FA is on Friday and there is a slight chance the Hawks will spend the FULL MLE. :-) We will resign Collins back. We are looking for a shooter, and we are interested in Josh Howard.

Bad news- CP3, Deron, and Dwight will not sign ext with any team and only will play for teams they would be willing to resign with thanks to the new CBA. For Deron, that means little but for Dwight and CP3, it's basically like Joe Johnson when he went into FA with us. He could resign here for 27 million dollars more or leave. All indications are they would resign with the team they are traded to but would still talk to other teams like Joe did. This would means that the team who trades for Dwight or CP3 would need to be CONTENDERS next season and nothing less. Basically a great regular season and a good playoff run otherwise CP3 or Dwight could be playing for another team in 2012-13. This could be like Danny Manning for any team that trades for one of them if they can't contend.

Agreed, Sund doesnt know what to do to pull off a blockbuster deal.

Agreed, Sund doesnt know what to do to pull off a blockbuster deal.

He pulled off the Ray Allen deal. He pulled off Acie and Speedy for Jamal. He did the Hinrich deal which gave us a defensive minded PG who was at the least adequate overall and had an expiring contract. Come on guys, you are way too harsh on Sund.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

With NOH being in a very vulnerable spot a lot like DEN was last season, whereas Paul is hinting for a trade to a very specific team or couple of teams, we could offer them a very intriguing offer. Paul was rumored to have said that his heart is in NO and if he's traded he wants to make sure the Hornets can have something to move forward with. Not like Melo who cared less and just wanted to get to NY.

Lets see New York has nothing, Orlando has better but nothing overwhelmingly good, and Clippers have nothing great either. So, enter the Hawks! Hawks have a lot of interesting pieces and contracts for trading. This is my idea to get CP3 here to ATL and also give NOH something to build with.

- ATL add mega PG CP3 and great DEF SG/SF to lead with Al and Josh with toughness and real experience. Hawks either add a bench SG like Shannon Brown or J-Rich this summer or a different FA SG next summer. Or with Paul here, we could offer Horford + Ariza + 1st for Dwight.

NOH gets an AllStar SG, a young blazing PG with high potential, and Kirk's $8Mil expiring deal to move forward with. This deal way better than the Knicks, Magic, or Clippers can/will offer the Hornets.

thats a homer deal if Ive ever seen one lol . Hey I would take it but why would the Hornets owners .... (the rest of the league because the nba owns the hornets ) take joe johnson off our hands when he is not known for filling the stands..... they already have Okafor .

The only way I see us working out a deal is if they could give us Okafor and Paul for Al + salaries but hes full BYC so I dont think

Ahh dreamers....LOL...CP3 hates our guts for not picking him.

Let me try to explain how this "could" happen. New Orleans is in a very similar spot to us with contracts...too top heavy. They need to be able to sign people but don't have enough cap to do so. Although they are only on the hook for 42 million right now, they only have 6 players signed. They need 7 bodies for the 13 million player minimum. 1 good free agent puts them at the cap. They need another body. So in order to trade with them, you need to send more players than you get back.

Joe, Marvin, Zaza for Paul, Okafor works in the trade checker. You would need to send probably the draft rights to Benson and or a future 1st to get this done. You do this and you line up. Paul/Hinrich/Smith/Horford/Okafor. Teague/Wilkins/Twin/Sy/Rolle on the bench. Sign two minimum players and then sign/trade Crawford for whatever you can get. That starting 5 is as good as any in the league. Your bench is absolute atrocious.

Could you do it, yes. But you are one injury away from the lottery.

• Moderators

It doesn't take much skill to pull off a trade for CP3 or Dwight. It just takes willingness on the other side. As Schultz was saying in AJC you just go to them and say take any 2 starters you want from the Hawks plus we'll throw in a first (or 2). That's all we can do and its a pretty sweet deal. We can build around any of those combos:

Paul/Joe Paul/Smoove Paul/Horf

Dwight/Joe Dwight/Smoove Dwight/Horf

Who cares. Now we might not be great this season but it gives us hope of a championship team and adds a marquee player which we sorely need. Of course we are certainly talking luxery tax if we're paying Joe and one of these guys but we should be getting more revenue.

Edited by macdaddy

It doesn't take much skill to pull off a trade for CP3 or Dwight. It just takes willingness on the other side. As Schultz was saying in AJC you just go to them and say take any 2 starters you want from the Hawks plus we'll throw in a first (or 2). That's all we can do and its a pretty sweet deal. We can build around any of those combos:

Paul/Joe Paul/Smoove Paul/Horf

Dwight/Joe Dwight/Smoove Dwight/Horf

Who cares. Now we might not be great this season but it gives us hope of a championship team and adds a marquee player which we sorely need. Of course we are certainly talking luxery tax if we're paying Joe and one of these guys but we should be getting more revenue.

If you did that as the GM, you will be out of a job this time next year and NO team will ever hire you again. You can't trade two studs in their prime for Dwight or CP3 because that will kill your talent level and Dwight or CP3 is a lock to leave for LA or NY a year later. You will get fired ASAP for such a bad deal. Atlanta needs to be smart, very smart. Don't overplay your hand, keep in mind that you might have the pieces to be contenders for years.

Dwight/Smith and Joe is a great group for the next 8 years.

CP3/Horford and Joe is a great group for the next 8 years.

Just speaking for myself, be smart, not a dummy. CP3/Smith won't work, you have the stats, numbers, trends, and what not. Dwight/Horford would work but Smith/Dwight have an extremely close relationship like brothers, they know each others game and it's an instant connection in terms of chemistry. They would be an instantly great trio. Be smart, not a dummy.

• Moderators

If you did that as the GM, you will be out of a job this time next year and NO team will ever hire you again. You can't trade two studs in their prime for Dwight or CP3 because that will kill your talent level and Dwight or CP3 is a lock to leave for LA or NY a year later. You will get fired ASAP for such a bad deal. Atlanta needs to be smart, very smart. Don't overplay your hand, keep in mind that you might have the pieces to be contenders for years.

Dwight/Smith and Joe is a great group for the next 8 years.

CP3/Horford and Joe is a great group for the next 8 years.

Just speaking for myself, be smart, not a dummy. CP3/Smith won't work, you have the stats, numbers, trends, and what not. Dwight/Horford would work but Smith/Dwight have an extremely close relationship like brothers, they know each others game and it's an instant connection in terms of chemistry. They would be an instantly great trio. Be smart, not a dummy.

If you only offer Smoove or Horford plus picks they'll never bite on that in my opinion. They will also never take Joe because they don't want that contract. So you'd be offering Smoove and Horford which i agree is a lot to give up. I like having a starting backcourt of CP3/Joe to build around. Or Joe/Dwight.

I like the current Hawks but most of Atlanta could care less. Bringing one of these guys to town would put us back on the map. It would take some work and money to put the right pieces around them but if you've got the chance to get a franchise player you have to do it. We don't have one right now.

If you only offer Smoove or Horford plus picks they'll never bite on that in my opinion. They will also never take Joe because they don't want that contract. So you'd be offering Smoove and Horford which i agree is a lot to give up. I like having a starting backcourt of CP3/Joe to build around. Or Joe/Dwight.

I like the current Hawks but most of Atlanta could care less. Bringing one of these guys to town would put us back on the map. It would take some work and money to put the right pieces around them but if you've got the chance to get a franchise player you have to do it. We don't have one right now.

Who said just Smith for CP3 or Horford for Dwight is a good deal? Clearly we would need to offers expiring, prospects, and take a bad contract to have a quality deal.

That's too great of a risk. Much too great and you would still have to take a contract. Not going to happen. You never trade one top 25-35 player much less two without some type of guarantee.

I agree with the last paragraph but everything has a price. Even Dwight Howard.

backcourt of CP3/Joe to build around. Or Joe/Dwight.

I'd take Joe + Dwight + Teague any day. Surround them with cheap shooters and a banger like ZaZa and you have something good.

Horford + Al + 1st for Dwight may be the best the The Magic can do. It would be a huge gamble on the Hawks considering Dwight could walk and leave us with nothing in free agency.

Its worth a gamble to get the potential Bill Russell of a generation.

Edited by coachx

I'd take Joe + Dwight + Teague any day.

Horford + Al + 1st for Dwight may be the best the The Magic can do.

No it wouldn't to be honest.

Horford+Zaza+Hinrich for Dwight+Turk is much better for Orlando than Horford+Smith for Dwight+Turk

Why?

Because Horford+ Smith will win you at least 30-40 games. That's too good for a top pick but not good enough for the playoffs. Bad deal. But Horford+Zaza+Hinrich will get them 18-28 wins. That's good enough for a top pick which could be Perry Jones, Anthony Davis, or Andre Drummond means that's much better for Orlando than Smith+Horford which limits you anyway.