• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

According to ESPN ... Howard is gone to LA

capstone21

Just because you might want to work alongside your palsy wowzy someday, doesn't mean you'll lock yourself into years of paychecks from Mr. Smithers to do it. I'm sure Smoove and Dwight chitchat about the Hawks all the time, and I bet the convo over the years centered on stuff like, "So, your bosses been in the court longer than we're on one. Do they want Joe or not?" "That hockey team, tho! Y'all broke?" "He sells WHAT kind of pizza? That's the best buyer they could find?" "Man, why'd your boy have to poke the bear up in Boston? You need a muzzle for that boss of yours?" If you're like Smoove, you don't have to sell the wonders of the ATL to D12, because he grew up right here with you. His family is here. Loads of friends are here. Showing off blingy dirt-cheap MTV Cribs-quality real estate and megachurches galore won't do it. Ultra lounges and glitzy strip clubs at every other corner won't do it. At day's end, you have to have a franchise that's worth promoting. And Dwight has given everyone the hint that committed ownership with deep pockets, be it "Cuban" or Russian, is enough promotion to grab his attention. Short of that, there is nothing you or anyone can text to him that would influence him. He's also seen what has happened to this organization's top players in the eyes of the fans and media because its owners haven't/can't/won't add the talent that would put them in a clear position to compete for NBA titles. No, in reality, Orlando was never going to ship its All-NBA marquee player to a division rival (in a division that already includes the Heatles) without said rival unloading everything else remotely of worth in return. But sure, in theory he could have come here and played Buddyball with Josh for most of a season. Then, with ASG still in charge, Josh gets his big contract elsewhere, and Dwight gets left with the pom-poms and an eye-rolling fanbase: "Didn't you used to be a superstar? Man, we thought Smoove sucked at free throws! 28 with a creaky back? Sigh. We shoulda got Bynum!" Dwight saw what happened when Joe made his deal with the devil. He doesn't want the S on his chest to stand for Scapegoat. You want superstars that you didn't draft yourself? Your team's players don't need pom-poms. They need a new Smithers. ~lw3

Hate to ask but do you mean Mr. Burns instead?
  • Like 1

Well, first of all I think that we all knew what was going to happen, if the LA Lakers wants somebody, they will go into the red to get that person. They put out pocket change to get Nash, now they pull out lint to get Dwight. Its unfair but that is the reason why, they are the LA Lakers.For the Hawks POV on this, this might get other GMs around the league to start asking about what can they get for Josh Smith. How Danny Ferry has been active with the movements, we dont even know what is going to happen next. So this is going to start a domino effect thoughout the league.

Edited by NekiEcko

• Admin

I just don't understand the trade from Orlando's perspective...they gave Howard away for a bag of chips.They don't even get a lottery pick...all protected picks.Lakers pretty much got Howard for Bynum straight up...they didn't have to really give anything extra up either (a protected pick...whoopee).

• Premium Member

So the Lakers give up Bynum and a 2017 first to get Dwight. I'm not getting this either. Nash/Kobe/Pau/Dwight. Hopefully they will suffer the same fate as the glove/mailman/kobe/shaq. I hate to root against Nash but the others can spend the whole season on the bench with turf toe for all I care. My goal for this season is to not see the Lakers and Heat in the finals. Someway, Somehow lets make it happen.

At first I was okay since PTI reported Gasol was part of the deal. To hear that they keep Gasol is mind boggling. So in the end they gave up unmotivated talent to get motivated talent.

• Premium Member

The Lakers organization and their fans don't care what we think. Building teams around top tier talent isn't new - our franchise has just never embraced that formula.I got a news flash for everybody that thinks we can continue to Mooksmittydeke our way through the NBA and draw fans and free agents - and win, or even MAKE, the ECF's. We have a better chance of winning the lottery.Oh SHIT...but wait tho'...!!!!lol

• Like 2

• Premium Member

The Lakers organization and their fans don't care what we think. Building teams around top tier talent isn't new - our franchise has just never embraced that formula. I got a news flash for everybody that thinks we can continue to Mooksmittydeke our way through the NBA and draw fans and free agents - and win, or even MAKE, the ECF's. We have a better chance of winning the lottery. Oh SHIT...but wait tho'...!!!! lol

Wretch, imagine next summer. But but but we gotta sign AL JEFFERSON. He's a beast! But but but we gotta sign PAUL MILSAP! But but but we gotta resign JOSH SMITH! He only cut his bad shots down from 18 a game to 15!!! But but but we gotta resign DEVIN HARRIS!! Smh. You either win titles with superstars or you stand on the sidelines and continue the Hawks forty year tradition of being ringless chumps.

• Moderators

So the Lakers give up Bynum and a 2017 first to get Dwight. I'm not getting this either.

They didn't even give up that much. Orlando was so masterful with their negotiation that they were able to a *protected* 2017 pick from the Lakers. LMAO That is flat out incompetence. Tell the press that the deal is being held up by LA insisting on protection and the fan base will lynch the front office if they don't remove the protection, but Orlando didn't even get that. Just astounding incompetence.
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

They didn't even give up that much. Orlando was so masterful with their negotiation that they were able to a *protected* 2017 pick from the Lakers. LMAO That is flat out incompetence. Tell the press that the deal is being held up by LA insisting on protection and the fan base will lynch the front office if they don't remove the protection, but Orlando didn't even get that. Just astounding incompetence.

they seem a bit gun shy after all the previous negotiations fell through. Orl was just looking to move on.

I don't care for any Lakers other than Kobe still, but I wouldn't mind seeing him orchestrate all of these flawed superstars and get his sixth. Gasol could possibly have his best season. He has absolutely no pressure to do what he struggles at now: he can box out and protect the rim on the PNR half-heartedly next to Dwight, and he won't have to assert himself to score because Nash shoots at such a high percentage, and won't have to fight for position on the floor because Nash will easily get him in great situations. Should be interesting in Stern doesn't come in and DeBo the deal. Howard creates more competitive imbalance than Paul would have. The quality of college players is decreasing. Orlando will be flirting with contraction in 5 years.

Wretch, imagine next summer. But but but we gotta sign AL JEFFERSON. He's a beast! But but but we gotta sign PAUL MILSAP! But but but we gotta resign JOSH SMITH! He only cut his bad shots down from 18 a game to 15!!! But but but we gotta resign DEVIN HARRIS!! Smh. You either win titles with superstars or you stand on the sidelines and continue the Hawks forty year tradition of being ringless chumps.

Why do you act like the Hawks have intentionally avoided superstar players? I promise you that's not their strategy. Established superstars don't want to come here and drafting a superstar requires a lot of luck. "Just get a superstar!!!" is MUCH easier said than done.

• Premium Member

Why do you act like the Hawks have intentionally avoided superstar players? I promise you that's not their strategy. Established superstars don't want to come here and drafting a superstar requires a lot of luck. "Just get a superstar!!!" is MUCH easier said than done.

I have to think that if Ferry offered the Magic Horford/Teague and two first rounders then we'd have Dwight right now and could realistically go after CP3 in the offseason. Instead we're going to have a 35-42 win team and people will be begging Ferry to resign the Josh Smiths of the world so we won't have the cap room or the ability to be bad enough to go into the lottery to possibly get an actual superstar. That is what I was referring to in my post. People will demand Ferry sign B level guys when we desperately need A+ guys.

Hello,For all the hand wringing here, just imagine what Brooklyn Fans and Management must feel like. By trading for JJ, they lost the ability to bring in D12 when he explicitly wanted to be there. While I suppose he still could come there at the end of next year, I do not see Dwight turning down the 5th Year and added money that LA can offer. Especially as the Lakers gave up next to nothing to get him and thus have an incredible albeit aging Core Four,If I was a Magic Fan, I think I would go on a month long bender. They could have gotten many excellent Players and ended up with one 1st Round Rookie and 3 Lottery Protected 1st Rounders for the most dominant Center of his generation still in his prime,