• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

If you dont think Smoove will command a max you are crazy.

yungsta

Taj Gibson 38 mil/4 years 9.5 mil per

James harden 80 mil/ 5 years 16 mil per

Demar derozan 40 mil/ 4 years 10 mil per

stephen curry 44 mil/4 year 11mil per (pretty good deal but he is extremely injure prone)

Dont forget during the summer

Eric gordon 5/60 mil 12 mil per (good player but is EXTREMELY injury prone)

Nicolas batum 44.62mil 4 year. 11 mil per

I can go on and on.

Owners are going absolutely ape shit over these contracts.

• Premium Member

How many of the players in Villamore's column today are guys who would have deserved a max salary contract in the prime of their career?

23 players in NBA history to have amassed 10,000 points, 5,000 rebounds, 2,000 assists and 1,000 blocks... Hakeem Olajuwon* David Robinson* Patrick Ewing* Karl Malone* Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Robert Parish Elvin Hayes Julius Erving* Bob Lanier Tim Duncan* Shaquille O’Neal Dirk Nowitzki* Kevin Garnett* Mychal Thompson Larry Nance Vlade Divac Elton Brand Pau Gasol Chris Webber Horace Grant Clifford Robinson Sam Lacey

Personally, I'd say the vast majority. This franchise cannot attract a talent like Smoove from another team under normal circumstances. Horford is a great supporting piece, and can be dominant on occasion. But Ferry's best hope is to hitch his sled to Smoove as the lead dog, and count on him to grow into a superstar. As others have suggested, it is at least arguable that with Joe's departure and given his contract status, Smoove could explode in a big way this season.
  • Like 1

How many of the players in Villamore's column today are guys who would have deserved a max salary contract in the prime of their career? Personally, I'd say the vast majority. This franchise cannot attract a talent like Smoove from another team under normal circumstances. Horford is a great supporting piece, and can be dominant on occasion. But Ferry's best hope is to hitch his sled to Smoove as the lead dog, and count on him to grow into a superstar. As others have suggested, it is at least arguable that with Joe's departure and given his contract status, Smoove could explode in a big way this season.

I'd say that Josh has at least earned half this season to prove he can be a superstar, but I don't think he's really capable of being that type of player when it would really count. Not if we're using the term superstar to really only apply to the elite 5-10 players in the league. Sure Smith can be that guy from time to time, but I just don't see us being able to ride him as our guy when it really counts in the playoffs. But maybe he'll surprise without Joe and be that guy, we'll see. I'd say we will probably know by the trading deadline and if he's not then I'd look to get as much for him as possible from a contender. If he does appear to have that type of potential then we'll see how he does in the playoffs and again if he proves himself then you gotta max him, if not then you move him in a SnT and at least get a trade exception or good young player(s) for him.
  • Like 1

• Admin

DeRozen's is the worst contract so far (4 years and 42 million). The dude brings nothing but a scorer. He doesn't play d, he doesn't have an outside shot, he doesn't rebound. He is very one dimensional. I was shocked and disappointed when I saw how much he got.Yes, these signings over the last week means Smith will be commanding a very large contract.

• Like 1

I have decided I will wait until the trade deadline to determine if I think Josh is here long term on a max or near max deal. I think Ferry will too.We can all point to how we have seen Josh play in the past and voice our likes and dislikes, but he now has a chance to be lead dog on and off the court. I say let's wait to see how he at least handles that throughtout the first half of the season before we say he is or isn't deserving of the money he is going to command wether from the Hawks or another team. He might surprise the doubters and play his way into the max deal or he may dissappoint his supporters and be shipped off somewhere. Let the season begin.

You might want to let the season play out before making that statement.

I guess. I'll happily eat crow if he ends up deserving one. But he's never shown that he can be that guy on a consistent basis. Who knows, maybe he can turn it around, but I doubt it.

I guess. I'll happily eat crow if he ends up deserving one. But he's never shown that he can be that guy on a consistent basis. Who knows, maybe he can turn it around, but I doubt it.

Smith has his best games when his midrange jumper is falling at a high rate. Unless he turns into Dirk, he's not going to be that "lead dog" type of player. He just doesn't have the skillset to consistently create his own offense and score efficiently. And he doesn't make FTs at a high enough rate. With all of the offensive type players on this team, I just can't see him getting 28% usage again this year, and scoring 20+ points. He'll have to dramatically improve that FG% to well over 50%, to get to 20 ppg.
  • Like 2

Taj Gibson 38 mil/4 years 9.5 mil per

James harden 80 mil/ 5 years 16 mil per

Demar derozan 40 mil/ 4 years 10 mil per

stephen curry 44 mil/4 year 11mil per (pretty good deal but he is extremely injure prone)

Dont forget during the summer

Eric gordon 5/60 mil 12 mil per (good player but is EXTREMELY injury prone)

Nicolas batum 44.62mil 4 year. 11 mil per

I can go on and on.

Owners are going absolutely ape shit over these contracts.

A Max for Josh starts at 17 million and averages 20 over it's life. If those are considered bad I don't quite see how you are justifying topping them by so much because I certainly don't see Josh as that much better than most of those guys.

A Max for Josh starts at 17 million and averages 20 over it's life. If those are considered bad I don't quite see how you are justifying topping them by so much because I certainly don't see Josh as that much better than most of those guys.

The smartest GM in the league did not think Harden warranted 16 mill starting. I would bet the bank Presti would not consider signing or trading for Smoove at 17 mill starting. Edited by Buzzard

• Moderators

The smartest GM in the league did not think Harden warranted 16 mill starting. I would bet the bank Presti would not consider signing or trading for Smoove at 17 mill starting.

He wouldn't but the Harden situation was a pretty unusual one so I wouldn't factor that in as much. I think you can look at what Presti did with Ibaka for guidance - 4 years and $48 million. As an UFA and better player (at this point in their careers), Josh gets somewhere upwards of that. Another part of the equation is net value. OKC got Martin, a good young SG, a lottery pick and a first round pick to offset the loss of Harden. If we deal Smoove, we won't get anything like that.
  • Like 1

• Admin

All I know is that I do not want a Howard/Lebron situation where we lose him for nothing. If it looks like we are not going to be able to keep him reasonably, I hope we trade him for some value (like Harden) then lose him for really nothing (Howard).

• Premium Member

The NBA is as talent deprived as I've ever seen it. Looking at the depth chart team by team it's really shocking how bad a lot of these teams look on paper. Teams are spending on marginal players because there isn't a whole hell of a lot of better things available right now.