• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

WTF IS LARRY DREW'S SO OBSESSED WITH KYLE KORVER?!

LastDon

• Premium Member

I've said it before, you need only watch the games to see Kyle's impact. Guys are bitching about him missing shots yet the defenses are playing him like he's never missed a day in his life. Even if he's not hitting he's a decoy on half the action we run because opposing coaches know just what happens when you leave a knockdown shooter open. Just watch when someone like Smoove gets the ball in the post, Kyle just starts a sprint and guys instinctually turn their heads to see where he's going even if he's not part of the play. The other players have been taking advantage of this because I can't honestly say that I've seen so many HALFCOURT dunks made by this team ever. Shooters are very instrumental to effective NBA offenses and although we have others on the team I'm guessing Kyle is getting the nod because he actually knows how to play and give effort in a defensive scheme seeing as he's been a rotation player on plenty top defensive playoff teams throughout his career. Morrow and Jenkins most definitely haven't so when it comes to playing a shooter that is physically handicapped on defense I'm going with the guy who is at least busting his ass to get where he needs to be.

It's also valuable to use a guy who has been in the playoffs with three different teams, playing three different roles. The guy is a veteran and he has been in big moments in good teams. Morrow has put up decent numbers in cellar dwellars, Jenks is a rookie. Huge difference.

• Premium Member

Korver's individual defense isn't that good but he definitely gives effort. If you go back and watch his early games and then watch him in Chicago you see a different effort. There's simply no other way to put it. Yes, he'll get jinked and jived and give up some poster material on occasions but the effort is there.I don't know why Morrow isn't playing because frankly I'd rather see Korver and Morrow rotating at SF than Tolliver. Korver's impact isn't just hitting jumpers, you watch our offense in the half court setting up screens for him and the other team is literally scrambling over guys trying to keep a hand in his face. Even if Korver doesn't make a shot or even take it what it is doing on the weak side is giving our athletic guys esp. the bigs a chance for wipe open layups and dunks.

• Moderators

I've said it before, you need only watch the games to see Kyle's impact. Guys are bitching about him missing shots yet the defenses are playing him like he's never missed a day in his life. Even if he's not hitting he's a decoy on half the action we run because opposing coaches know just what happens when you leave a knockdown shooter open.

Just watch when someone like Smoove gets the ball in the post, Kyle just starts a sprint and guys instinctually turn their heads to see where he's going even if he's not part of the play. The other players have been taking advantage of this because I can't honestly say that I've seen so many HALFCOURT dunks made by this team ever.

Shooters are very instrumental to effective NBA offenses and although we have others on the team I'm guessing Kyle is getting the nod because he actually knows how to play and give effort in a defensive scheme seeing as he's been a rotation player on plenty top defensive playoff teams throughout his career. Morrow and Jenkins most definitely haven't so when it comes to playing a shooter that is physically handicapped on defense I'm going with the guy who is at least busting his ass to get where he needs to be.

+100

Loved the Korver interview after the game. He did an Allen Iverson impression when explaining why he had to keep shooting.Korver: "In my Philly days, A.I. alwayse told me shooters shoot ! Shooters Shoot ! Shooters Shoot !"Keep firing those jumpers Korver !

Edited by coachx

• Moderators

Loved the Korver interview after the game. He did an Allen Iverson impression when explaining why he had to keep shooting. Korver: "In my Philly days, A.I. alwayse told me shooters shoot ! Shooters Shoot ! Shooters Shoot !" Keep firing those jumpers Korver !

And you know AI wasn't talking about practice
  • Like 2

Korver played with a lot of heart in the 4th. I know there is speculation that he is unhappy here. Going from Chicago's great basketball environment to a developing basketball scene in ATL is probably tough. However, he can be a huge part of this teams success. I was at the game last night and saw solid defense from him. He understands switches. He is a little undersized but is a smart player. He knows how to move off screen on offense and finds ways to get open. It's only 3 games. And he just carried us in one of them. Give him some support now. We could benefit from having him on the team. He is a solid player.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Korver played with a lot of heart in the 4th. I know there is speculation that he is unhappy here. Going from Chicago's great basketball environment to a developing basketball scene in ATL is probably tough. However, he can be a huge part of this teams success. I was at the game last night and saw solid defense from him. He understands switches. He is a little undersized but is a smart player. He knows how to move off screen on offense and finds ways to get open. It's only 3 games. And he just carried us in one of them. Give him some support now. We could benefit from having him on the team. He is a solid player.

Where did you see that he is unhappy here?

I also remember reading something when we acquired Korver about him being disappointed in leaving Chicago and heading to ATL. But I don't take that as being unhappy here. I think he's about to get real happy here with his role.

Korver was 0 - 3 from 3 point range in the game, and 1 - 11 overall from 3 on the season at the time this thread was started. He was 1 - 6 from three going into that 4th quarter. Had Indiana not gone into an epic funk ( like we did in that 3rd quarter ), they win going away, and those 2 threes Korver made at the end don't mean jack.I will agree that Korver's defense has been solid, especially in that zone. But the fact is that our "shooter" is 4 - 16 from 3 on the season ( and he still went 3 - 9 from 3 last night ). Props to him for making big shots at the end of the game last night to bring us back in the game. Let's see if he can start making some shots, or if his "funk" will continue. History says that his shooting will improve.

I'm surprised they are playing so well together so quickly. Think maybe the tempo is to their liking Maybe Smoove will learn something from Korvers grit. Ha

Last night's tempo was the slowest of the year. Playing fast isn't going to win us games. Playing defense and playing to our strengths on the offense end will though.

• Moderators

It's tough on us 'Squawkers because we often have favorites (in this case, Ammo) that cause us to go bananas when someone is routinely out there ahead of him and not playing well. (Why X and not Y?) Rotating the Holy Triumvirate of Jeff-Lou-Devin is another that makes it so easy for us to get our gander up and take sides prematurely.Everytime I saw Korver miss last night in the first half, his teammates were literally out of their seats on the bench pulling for him to bury one. That tells me they've seen plenty of what he can do in practice... and illustrates their belief in the Law of Averages working in Kyle's favor.~lw3

• Like 1

Most GMs in the league will clamor for any player who has played for Thibideau. They become twice the defensive player they were before they got there. I would never worry about Korver. The defense is taught to always know where he is, and for about a month, he'll shoot damn near 50 from three. Josh seems to be a very willing passer to him. If there was a stat for hustle plays and diving for loose balls from a role player, he'd be near the top of the league. Fan favorite. Loved the acquisition.