• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Did Marvin Do Anything?

benhillboy

I voiced my displeasure with Joe every chance I got. Hated the guy, still do. But at least I see what we miss without him. Great cross-court passer. Had the ability to hit very tough, contested shots. His cool demeanor had positive effects at times. To this day, he'll post up when he has a favorable matchup 100% of the time and get something out of it. Very solid defender. The prettiest deep three you'll ever see.What the hell are we missing with Marvin? Not a damn thing! It's almost like we're caught up to the rest of the league and play 5 guys at all times instead of 4. There would be long stretches of quarters, halves, games, hell, weeks where you had to be reminded Marvin still was here. Good positional defender? Okay. I'll give him that little nugget. For what reason I'll never know, LeBron just seemed uncomfortable a lot with Marvin on him. He had flashes when Joe went down, that I'll totally chalk up to being in the right place at the right time and teams not gameplanning for him whatsoever. But besides that, his career here was abominable. Addition by subtraction of Joe can be debated, of course you'll know what side I'm on. In the case of Marvin, it cannot be debated. We might not always have 5 guys in unison or playing perfectly together, no one does, but at least they're active and trying to make things happen. Marvin used to just drift away, like he's doing now with the Jazz. If he were still here, we might be 3 or 4 games behind where we are now. Marvin contributing more in his absence than ever! Preciate you, Duck!!!On a side note, why has Josh never done an "In My Own Words"? They usually do them on people with ties to the South. Josh has way more than Marvin, whose episode ran about 100 times. I'm just guessing here, but maybe it has something to do with a less than favorable relationship with family?

Edited by benhillboy

• Premium Member

I voiced my displeasure with Joe every chance I got. Hated the guy, still do. But at least I see what we miss without him. Great cross-court passer. Had the ability to hit very tough, contested shots. His cool demeanor had positive effects at times. To this day, he'll post up when he has a favorable matchup 100% of the time and get something out of it. Very solid defender. The prettiest deep three you'll ever see.What the hell are we missing with Marvin? Not a damn thing! It's almost like we're caught up to the rest of the league and play 5 guys at all times instead of 4. There would be long stretches of quarters, halves, games, hell, weeks where you had to be reminded Marvin still was here. Good positional defender? Okay. I'll give him that little nugget. For what reason I'll never know, LeBron just seemed uncomfortable a lot with Marvin on him. He had flashes when Joe went down, that I'll totally chalk up to being in the right place at the right time and teams not gameplanning for him whatsoever. But besides that, his career here was abominable. Addition by subtraction of Joe can be debated, of course you'll know what side I'm on. In the case of Marvin, it cannot be debated. We might not always have 5 guys in unison or playing perfectly together, no one does, but at least they're active and trying to make things happen. Marvin used to just drift away, like he's doing now with the Jazz. If he were still here, we might be 3 or 4 games behind where we are now. Marvin contributing more in his absence than ever! Preciate you, Duck!!!On a side note, why has Josh never done an "In My Own Words"? They usually do them on people with ties to the South. Josh has way more than Marvin, whose episode ran about 100 times. I'm just guessing here, but maybe it has something to do with a less than favorable relationship with family?

What you have come to learn is that taking Marvin over any of the PG in his draft class... Yes, including Felton... was the 2nd biggest mistake in Franchise history. It actually competes very strongly with trading Nique for Manning.

Marvin has all the physical traits that you want in a star, but he's like pictures from the moon landing.... There is NO stars in him.

• Like 1

What you have come to learn is that taking Marvin over any of the PG in his draft class... Yes, including Felton... was the 2nd biggest mistake in Franchise history. It actually competes very strongly with trading Nique for Manning.

Marvin has all the physical traits that you want in a star, but he's like pictures from the moon landing.... There is NO stars in him.

I do not agree... Now, I didn't see Marvin in college... But watching him with the team for years I feel he had little chance in becoming a star. He seems like a guy with a really bad back, and his ball handling skills and all of that is just weak.

Marvin was just dealt a bad hand. He HAD the tools to, maybe, be a "star" at one time, it just wasn't meant to be. It's not going to happen in Utah, just another bad card he was dealt....The dude didn't start at NC...only played 22 minutes a game, in one year! 2nd overall pick. Not his fault, but can you imagine the pressure? He's 19 with absolutely no idea what the NBA..hell, basketball is about?Then you throw in the success of Paul and Williams....I feel bad for the guy. He'll always be a "bust". I don't blame him for leaving after his freshman year at NC, taking the money....his close people telling him some sucker francise will gamble on him early. But I bet he'll always wonder what would have happened if he stayed another year or two with the Tar Heels, actually starting...!! And playing more than just half the game. Would have he developed more? Would he not have been stuck in a draft class that produced two of the best PG's in the game now...?Then throw in the Hawks. Joe Johnson..francise savior. Josh Smith...gonna get his. Where did Marvin fit? Nowhere. Horford comes into town. Marvin never had a chance in Atlanta. Now his time is gone...I don't care if he's 26, ship has sailed, especially with the Jazz. Hawks and Jazz? What could be two worse fits for him?Oh well, I'm sure he has lots of money...

• Premium Member

Conduit. That's the word I used to describe Marvin with. Dude would defer to anybody on the court. Anybody. Marvin was/is a talented player. He was quicker and had better handles than Smoove and his jumper and 3 point shot were MILES ahead. He is bigger and more athletic than Joe.

Marvin had the tools. If Josh Smith can WTFBBQSAUCE his way to 15-18ppg, Marvind could do it. Hell, some nights you'd look up and he'd have 10-15 invisible points on the board...and then he'd disappear for the rest of the night. Marvin lacked fire and desire. Simple as that. If he wanted to have a bigger impact on the game, he could have. As it were, he was just conduit. He allowed the game to go right through him.

• Like 4

Conduit. That's the word I used to describe Marvin with. Dude would defer to anybody on the court. Anybody. Marvin was/is a talented player. He was quicker and had better handles than Smoove and his jumper and 3 point shot were MILES ahead. He is bigger and more athletic than Joe.

Marvin had the tools. If Josh Smith can WTFBBQSAUCE his way to 15-18ppg, Marvind could do it. Hell, some nights you'd look up and he'd have 10-15 invisible points on the board...and then he'd disappear for the rest of the night. Marvin lacked fire and desire. Simple as that. If he wanted to have a bigger impact on the game, he could have. As it were, he was just conduit. He allowed the game to go right through him.

Bingo!!!

i started writting this but i hit the wrong button and deleted everything but this is what i was gonna say

So I see you found your tin hat.

I kind of like the nostalgia of this thread. Its been a while since we've had a good Marvin sucks thread.

BTW - picking Marvin was not the 2nd biggest mistake in Hawks history after trading Wilkins. They were 2 and 3. The biggest mistake was trading the rights to Bill Russell.

Edited by Randy
  • Like 2

I kind of like the nostalgia of this thread. Its been a while since we've had a good Marvin sucks thread.

BTW - picking Marvin was not the 2nd biggest mistake in Hawks history after trading Wilkins. They were 2 and 3. The biggest mistake was trading the rights to Bill Russell.

Where do you rank Koncak's draft....or his tenure as a whole?

I agree with this.

At one time in his career, Marvin was a very consistent role player who could get you at least 12 ppg on a nightly basis. Marvin didn't get that 2nd contract because he was a complete scrub. The dude was consistent and it looked like he could expand his shooting range out to the 3 point line. That's why he got the 5 year deal. That, and the fact that Marvin was sort of an "insurance policy" if JJ didn't re-sign at the end of 2010.

But I agree with Marvin being a "conduit". He deferred to Flip. He deferred to Jamal. Heck, he even deferred to Willie Green and T-Mac. Being a "team player" is one thing. But at some point, you have to prove your worth to the squad, and not just be a mannequin out on the floor. Marvin was actually somewhat efficient last year, and Drew handled him horribly by giving some of his minutes to guys like Vlad Radmanovic.

But it wasn't like Marvin was balling enough to make sure that Drew couldn't afford to reduce his minutes or start bringing him off the bench. And the same thing is happening out in Utah with him. Instead of proving his worth, he's just blending in with the wallpaper. Physically, he could play in the league another 5 years. But like with a lot of guys, he isn't going to reach his "potential". He is what he is . . . a conduit.

• Premium Member

Marvin was just dealt a bad hand. He HAD the tools to, maybe, be a "star" at one time, it just wasn't meant to be. It's not going to happen in Utah, just another bad card he was dealt....The dude didn't start at NC...only played 22 minutes a game, in one year! 2nd overall pick. Not his fault, but can you imagine the pressure? He's 19 with absolutely no idea what the NBA..hell, basketball is about?Then you throw in the success of Paul and Williams....I feel bad for the guy. He'll always be a "bust". I don't blame him for leaving after his freshman year at NC, taking the money....his close people telling him some sucker francise will gamble on him early. But I bet he'll always wonder what would have happened if he stayed another year or two with the Tar Heels, actually starting...!! And playing more than just half the game. Would have he developed more? Would he not have been stuck in a draft class that produced two of the best PG's in the game now...?Then throw in the Hawks. Joe Johnson..francise savior. Josh Smith...gonna get his. Where did Marvin fit? Nowhere. Horford comes into town. Marvin never had a chance in Atlanta. Now his time is gone...I don't care if he's 26, ship has sailed, especially with the Jazz. Hawks and Jazz? What could be two worse fits for him?Oh well, I'm sure he has lots of money...

Spare ME.

He didn't have the constitution to be a star and we didn't do our homework. Period. Moreover, another year at Carolina and he would have played second fiddle to Hansborough. Marvin has and will always have had the mentality of a journeyman. He was pleased as punch to rob us of 70 Million dollars for his subpar work.

Spare ME.

He didn't have the constitution to be a star and we didn't do our homework. Period. Moreover, another year at Carolina and he would have played second fiddle to Hansborough. Marvin has and will always have had the mentality of a journeyman. He was pleased as punch to rob us of 70 Million dollars for his subpar work.

LOL . . it was actually 40 million, but point taken.

FACT: At 40 million dollars and over 5600 points as a Hawk, Marvin got paid about $7,100 for every point he scored in a Hawks uniform

A lot of times you're only as strong as your weakest link on the floor. I guarantee that 27 point comeback overtime win against Boston would've been a 10 point regulation loss with Marvin sapping the energy away from the group, if not worse. Like someone said, he's got his video games, his cereal, much closer to home and his millions so he's good. I think the NBA fraternity of front office people bought a small island and exiled Billy Knight to it forever. Good. Dumars should be there too for Milicic if not for a ring and Drummond.

Edited by benhillboy