• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why can't Smoove learn from Horford?

ATLscrubLove

Easy answer. Al is smart. Josh is dumb. Al went to FLA for 4 yrs and got his degree. Josh didn't go to college. Probably was coddled all through High School also. Al has self discipline. Josh does not. Al does what's best for the team and plays to his strength's. Josh plays playground basketball and does what he feels like. Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

QFT

• Like 2

Easy answer. Al is smart. Josh is dumb. Al went to FLA for 4 yrs and got his degree. Josh didn't go to college. Probably was coddled all through High School also. Al has self discipline. Josh does not. Al does what's best for the team and plays to his strength's. Josh plays playground basketball and does what he feels like. Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Talk about a post filled with absolute trash.

Josh Smith is not dumb. That's a very harsh criticism. Does he make bad decisions, and take bad shots, sure. Who doesn't? Fact is, he's an 18 point, 8 rebound, 4 assist, 2 block, 1 steal every night guy. Anyone NBA player that can do that is not dumb.
  • Like 1

Sure, Josh takes too many shots. Problem is, he's been hitting

those shots on a regular basis. He's a lot better shooter than

most of us want to admit.

Josh has a lot of turnovers because he tries to do things that

he is not capable of. We all know this. Yet, sometimes these

things turn into those great plays which we seem to forget about.

He's great sometimes. Yet, he only manages to hit about half

of his free throws. When he's going to the line, I always expect

one additional point.

• Premium Member

Josh Smith is not dumb. That's a very harsh criticism. Does he make bad decisions, and take bad shots, sure. Who doesn't? Fact is, he's an 18 point, 8 rebound, 4 assist, 2 block, 1 steal every night guy. Anyone NBA player that can do that is not dumb.

I agree. He's by no means dumb, but he does have a serious self-control issue when it comes to the ofensive end of the floor. However, in recent games, this has become some what better. As Teague and Horford assert their prescence and authority on the floor more and more, I think Josh can't help but see the difference between them leading the offense and him trying to do it. A couple of times last night, when he tried to do too much and it didn't result in something positive, he looked a little embarrassed. I think that's a good thing.
  • Like 1

Anyone that could do even better than that, but doesn't because he's stubborn and doesn't know his role, is frustratingly dumb Posted Image

Anyone that could do even better than that, but doesn't because he's stubborn and doesn't know his role, is frustratingly dumb Posted Image

That's exactly the problem around here. Dude is putting up stats this year that only 14 other players in NBA history has done and nobody appreciates that. Hate all you want on the guy, and call him "dumb", but we wouldn't be in the fourth seed right now without him. That's what seems dumb to me that people don't realize.

That's exactly the problem around here. Dude is putting up stats this year that only 14 other players in NBA history has done and nobody appreciates that. Hate all you want on the guy, and call him "dumb", but we wouldn't be in the fourth seed right now without him. That's what seems dumb to me that people don't realize.

I agree that he's a big part of our success, it's just frustrating that he's getting in his own way, and he needs to up his BBIQ before his athleticism tapers off.

• Moderators

The thing is Smoove could quit taking any long jumpers completely and it would take years for this criticism to go away. I think that's the main reason he wants out. If he goes elsewhere they will be excited to get him. If he stays here its just more of the 'why are you taking jumpers' questions day in and day out.

Smitty said basically: with all he does who cares if he takes a few jump shots. That shocked me because Smitty was a pretty disciplined player. But he's right. A few jumpers here and there aren't really an issue. Its the deciding to take the last second three himself when others are wide open, the deciding to dribble through traffic when there are guards to pass to. Late game decisions are the real problem. For the most part that is looking better right now. Will it stay that way. I don't know. I doubt it. But as long as he isn't trying to win the game with a long jumper i'm good.

The thing is Smoove could quit taking any long jumpers completely and it would take years for this criticism to go away. I think that's the main reason he wants out. If he goes elsewhere they will be excited to get him. If he stays here its just more of the 'why are you taking jumpers' questions day in and day out.

The criticism would go away as soon as he stops doing it. At that point, everyone would be too focused on what he would be doing right (developing a post game, rebounding, not turning the ball over while trying to beat someone off the dribble, not slowing down fast breaks by dribbling clumsily upcourt, etc.)

• Like 1

And the endless debate rages on. Guys, whatever your opinion of Josh, you're right. Brilliant, stupid. Wins us games, loses them, all accurate assessments. I do think Al was poking a little at Josh with the comment, though, all in fun. Among countless other things that don't happen anymore now that Joe is gone that I love, we haven't heard the subliminal jab in the media about "everybody (ie Josh) not being on the same page" then lacking the proper leadership to do anything about it.