• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Pre-Season Power Ranking in East

RonMexico

6. Atlanta Hawks (2012-13 finish: 6th)

The general public probably responded to the Hawks' offseason with a resounding "meh," but there's a good chance that the post-Josh Smithera will pick up where it left off. Paul Millsap remains one of the more underappreciated players in the league (seriously, how did he sign for just $19 million?) and the rest of the core remains intact, including supersub Lou Williams, who missed the end of last season with a torn ACL.

The additions of summer league standout Dennis Schröder and Elton Brand should bolster their bid to crash the top-four party, but they'll happily take the sixth seed without Smith.

Do you guys think this is accurate? I love that they keep talking about Schröder and Millsap in a very positive light.

Also to clarify. we finished 6th in 2012/13 and they're predicting us in the 6th spot again.

Edited by RonMexico

Before I opened the thread, I guessed 6th seed, so yeah accurate. However, I could see the team loosing a lot of games if they don't add a scoring wing. Williams will still be coming off injury and there is no one else on the team that can consistently create their own shot.

6. Atlanta Hawks (2012-13 finish: 6th)

The general public probably responded to the Hawks' offseason with a resounding "meh," but there's a good chance that the post-Josh Smithera will pick up where it left off. Paul Millsap remains one of the more underappreciated players in the league (seriously, how did he sign for just $19 million?) and the rest of the core remains intact, including supersub Lou Williams, who missed the end of last season with a torn ACL.

The additions of summer league standout Dennis Schröder and Elton Brand should bolster their bid to crash the top-four party, but they'll happily take the sixth seed without Smith.

Do you guys think this is accurate? I love that they keep talking about Schröder and Millsap in a very positive light.

Also to clarify. we finished 6th in 2012/13 and they're predicting us in the 6th spot again.

Please provide a link to where this came from

I don't think is accurate, we are worst than that, we are worst than last year, we are so weak on the wings that we will be destroyed all nights. On defense we are even weaker protecting the paint, I don't think we will make the playoffs, or will be 8th seed at best. We have some good players, but they simply do not fit well.

There are some teams that have improved a lot on the East: Detroit, Washington and Cleveland, even Charlotte has improved a lot. Right now the ranking on the east would be Miami, Indiana, Chicago, Brooklin, New York, Detroit, Cleveland, Milwaukee, Atlanta, Washington, Toronto, Boston, Charlotte, Orlando, Philadelphia. There is a good chance Washington or Toronto get ahead of us.

Edited by gurpilo
  • Like 1

• Moderators

I'm not seeing the Bucks passing us other than I think LD is good. Detroit is iffy too.

I don't see where are weakness on the wing is worse than last year and we'll have Lou back. Not to mention we may have another move coming. It we step out of the playoffs this year it ought to put to rest the idea that LD wasn't a good coach. I see more talent and more hustle in this year's team than last.

6th is accurate. I am not sure whether we can crack to top 5 unless Knicks have a major drop this year. My guess:

1) Miami

2) Chicago

3) Indiana

4) Brooklyn

5) New York

6) Atlanta

7) Detroit

8) Cleveland

9) Washington

10) Milwaukee

11) Toronto

12) Boston

13) Charlotte

14) Orlando

15) Philly

Well, I enjoyed doing this so here is for the Western Conference. Let's see at the end of the season how wrong we were :-)

1) San Antonio

2) OKC

3) Clippers

4) Rockets

5) Memphis

6) Golden State

7) Denver

8) Dallas

9) Minnesota

10) Lakers

11) Portland

12) New Orleans

13) Sacramento

14) Utah

15) Phoenix

• Moderators

I feel it's fairly accurate and it's safe to say that we'll make the playoffs (I'm guessing a 7th/8th seed) with the Bucks/Celtics taking a step back. Really depends on how well Detroit, Cleveland, and Boston play. Detroit is really the only team that improved dramatically in the East that wasn't a playoff team last season. I still fell Cleveland is a couple players away from being a legit team and you can't trust Bynum to be healthy for them and who knows how Rose will come back. The way I see the East playing out:

1 - Brooklyn @ 60 wins - their top 8 players are studs; a slow start to get acclimated and build chemistry, but takes off in January.

2 - Miami @ 58 wins - Still LeBron's team, but with MM gone, Lewis will see the court more who isn't the 3pt threat that flourishes in Miami's offense.

3 - Indiana @ 56 wins - Still the same Indiana team, but Granger coming back could put them over the top or be a hindrance.

4 - New York @ 55 wins - Another example of a great regular season team. One the most overpaid clusterf**ks in the league.

5 - Chicago @ 52 wins - Matters on how D-Rose comes back, but be assured that Thibs won't let this team not make the playoffs.

6 - Detroit @ 48 wins - With the Smoove signing, Dewars has had made the Pistons the new treadmill Hawks team in the East.

7 - Atlanta @ 44 wins - Millsap, Brand, and Korver signings are enough to keep Atlanta's head above the water.

8 - Boston/Cleveland @ 42 wins - If Bynum stays healthy, Cleveland will be the 8th seed (possibly 7th seed), if not, then Wallace and Brooks will be enough to sail Boston into the playoffs.

I feel it's fairly accurate and it's safe to say that we'll make the playoffs (I'm guessing a 7th/8th seed) with the Bucks/Celtics taking a step back. Really depends on how well Detroit, Cleveland, and Boston play. Detroit is really the only team that improved dramatically in the East that wasn't a playoff team last season. I still fell Cleveland is a couple players away from being a legit team and you can't trust Bynum to be healthy for them and who knows how Rose will come back. The way I see the East playing out:

1 - Brooklyn @ 60 wins - their top 8 players are studs; a slow start to get acclimated and build chemistry, but takes off in January.

2 - Miami @ 58 wins - Still LeBron's team, but with MM gone, Lewis will see the court more who isn't the 3pt threat that flourishes in Miami's offense.

3 - Indiana @ 56 wins - Still the same Indiana team, but Granger coming back could put them over the top or be a hindrance.

4 - New York @ 55 wins - Another example of a great regular season team. One the most overpaid clusterf**ks in the league.

5 - Chicago @ 52 wins - Matters on how D-Rose comes back, but be assured that Thibs won't let this team not make the playoffs.

6 - Detroit @ 48 wins - With the Smoove signing, Dewars has had made the Pistons the new treadmill Hawks team in the East.

7 - Atlanta @ 44 wins - Millsap, Brand, and Korver signings are enough to keep Atlanta's head above the water.

8 - Boston/Cleveland @ 42 wins - If Bynum stays healthy, Cleveland will be the 8th seed (possibly 7th seed), if not, then Wallace and Brooks will be enough to sail Boston into the playoffs.

I agree with your analysis and ranking on top 5 positions. I think Bynum/Irving will put Cleveland on 6th and Josh/Drummond/Monroe will put Detroit at 7. Boston is tanking and will be a lottery pick team.

• Premium Member

5th or 6th seed is about right.

Miami, Chicago, Indy will round out the top 3. I think we'll be in the mix for the 3rd through 6th seeds with NY & BKN. The Knicks will be fine and will probably round out the top 4 or 5. Brookln is going to be solid. KG and Pierce are old, but they're Hall of Famers. As long as thier bodies hold up, I see them being pretty tough.

I don't see 3 teams in the east outside of that who are CLEARLY better than the Hawks and we haven't really lost anything. They'll be fine and that prediction is pretty safe IMO.

As someone who has watched the Wiz live over the last three years, I can't help but think they will be better than the Hawks this year.

Miami, Chicago, Indy will round out the top 3. I think we'll be in the mix for the 3rd through 6th seeds with NY & BKN. The Knicks will be fine and will probably round out the top 4 or 5. Brookln is going to be solid. KG and Pierce are old, but they're Hall of Famers. As long as thier bodies hold up, I see them being pretty tough.

I don't see 3 teams in the east outside of that who are CLEARLY better than the Hawks and we haven't really lost anything. They'll be fine and that prediction is pretty safe IMO.

I think the lost of Josh Smith will be heavily felt.

Guys, I'm completely stunned how much you ar underrating some teams.

Cleveland has not only got Bynum, they have an all-star PG on Irving, and up and coming SG on Waiters, they will have a healthy Varejao, Tristan Thompson, Zeller, Gee plus they added three very good players on Anthony Bennett, Jarret Jack and Karasev, they are fairly better than us. Nearly anyone of that list would be a starter on our team. This is a young team that will become better every year.

Detroit has got so much better, Knight and Stuckey will be helped by Billups and Caldwell-Pope that will provide exactly what they lack. Drummond is going to be the best center on the league in 2-3 years and a frontcourt of Smith, Monroe and Drummond is just too much for us.

Milwaukee has so much talent... Sanders and Henson will be improving next year, we would be salivating with that frontcourt and dreaming with a ring, Ilyasova, Mayo and Jennings fit well, Ridnour, Delfino, Adekotunbo and Pachulia are a good second unit. I think we can be tied with them, at best on my opinion....

Washington will have John Wall healthy from the beginning, Beal and Porter are terrific young wings, Hilario, Seraphin and Okafor are really solid and they have a deep bench with Maynor, Webster, Ariza, Glen Rice Jr, Seraphin, Booker...

Charlotte could become a surprise this year, the new frontcourt of Zeller and Jefferson can make some noise, Walker and Henderson are solid, Kidd Gilchrist should improve and the bench has some useful pieces on Ramon Sessions, Jeff Taylor, Ben Gordon, McRoberts, Haywood and Biyombo.

The truth about us is that Milsap is worst than Smith, specially on defense, and he cannot play the SF position as Smith something that gave us a lot of wins, even if we think he is not good at SF Milsap will be worst, Korver will not be playing for a contract, Devin Harris will also be missed because we don't have anyone to defend at SG, Hawks are not better with Lou, we were 22-17 when he injured the knee and a backourt of Teague and Lou cannot play too much time... we are very weak on the wing to defend a big SF withoiut Smith and cannot stop a big center... this will tell you guys how valuable are Teague and Horford on the league getting 44 wins, because the talent surrounding them except Smith is just very poor if you compare it with the teams above.

Making the playoffs depends on Jenkins becoming a reliable starter at SG, been capable of scoring efficiently, we know he will not defend well, but at least has the size to not been posted, and DeMarre Carroll becoming a good starter been capable to play 25-30 mpg stopping the best wing on the opposing team at least we make a big move...

I really don't care what seed we have as long as its not 8 against the Heat, I just know we're getting in. I'm hoping that we have a coach that can get us over the hump as an underdog in the First Round the way Drew did with Orlando or Thibs did last year against Brooklyn.I enjoyed NY last year mostly because Kidd was outstanding for the first half of the season until he died after the break. Prigioni, Felton, and JR controlling the pace aint gone get nothing done, so I'm expecting hem to take a huge step back, especially signing cast-offs like Martin and Bargnaini. I think Brooklyn is gonna implode, it's well known the Bulls are a lower-rated defensive team with Rose on the floor, and Boston will struggle because Rondo can't force assists on that roster. Cleveland and Milwaukee should get in, Im not buying anything the Pistons are selling.

Edited by benhillboy

I don't think is accurate, we are worst than that, we are worst than last year, we are so weak on the wings that we will be destroyed all nights. On defense we are even weaker protecting the paint, I don't think we will make the playoffs, or will be 8th seed at best. We have some good players, but they simply do not fit well. There are some teams that have improved a lot on the East: Detroit, Washington and Cleveland, even Charlotte has improved a lot. Right now the ranking on the east would be Miami, Indiana, Chicago, Brooklin, New York, Detroit, Cleveland, Milwaukee, Atlanta, Washington, Toronto, Boston, Charlotte, Orlando, Philadelphia. There is a good chance Washington or Toronto get ahead of us.

lol @ Detroit, Cleveland, and Milwaukee being better than the Hawks. We shall see.........
  • Like 1

As someone who has watched the Wiz live over the last three years, I can't help but think they will be better than the Hawks this year.

I think the lost of Josh Smith will be heavily felt.

I think its possible there will be an effect given the lack play of playmakers on the team as Lou is better at creating for himself than others, and you will not get much from Jenkins or Korver in that department. But I don't think they will suffer really badly. Josh Smith's win shares are very small. And we know his bad choices, bad free throw shooting and poor shooting causes some L's. This team even in wins has a very small point differential and Josh Smith has a lot to do with that.

lol @ Detroit, Cleveland, and Milwaukee being better than the Hawks. We shall see.........

its very possible the cavs are better than us this season have you seen their roster compared to ours? They have changed the coaching too and arent tanking anymore. They are in win now mode.

As currently constructed I'm thinking 4th through 6th seed. We can't defend the rim but we'll score a lot and play solid team defense. Brooklyn is a better team but they have age issues. Cleveland has potential but has injury and age concerns on the opposite end of the spectrum. Detroit has nothing in the backcourt and terrible spacing. Milwaukee has better spacing but their topend (Ilyasova, Sanders, I guess Jennings) is worse than ours. Toronto has some good players but not much of a bench and spacing problems again. Washington has solid potential but a bad bench and some scoring issues.

Edited by TheFuzz

• Premium Member

Guys, I'm completely stunned how much you ar underrating some teams.

Cleveland has not only got Bynum, they have an all-star PG on Irving, and up and coming SG on Waiters, they will have a healthy Varejao, Tristan Thompson, Zeller, Gee plus they added three very good players on Anthony Bennett, Jarret Jack and Karasev, they are fairly better than us. Nearly anyone of that list would be a starter on our team. This is a young team that will become better every year.

Detroit has got so much better, Knight and Stuckey will be helped by Billups and Caldwell-Pope that will provide exactly what they lack. Drummond is going to be the best center on the league in 2-3 years and a frontcourt of Smith, Monroe and Drummond is just too much for us.

Milwaukee has so much talent... Sanders and Henson will be improving next year, we would be salivating with that frontcourt and dreaming with a ring, Ilyasova, Mayo and Jennings fit well, Ridnour, Delfino, Adekotunbo and Pachulia are a good second unit. I think we can be tied with them, at best on my opinion....

Washington will have John Wall healthy from the beginning, Beal and Porter are terrific young wings, Hilario, Seraphin and Okafor are really solid and they have a deep bench with Maynor, Webster, Ariza, Glen Rice Jr, Seraphin, Booker...

Charlotte could become a surprise this year, the new frontcourt of Zeller and Jefferson can make some noise, Walker and Henderson are solid, Kidd Gilchrist should improve and the bench has some useful pieces on Ramon Sessions, Jeff Taylor, Ben Gordon, McRoberts, Haywood and Biyombo.

The truth about us is that Milsap is worst than Smith, specially on defense, and he cannot play the SF position as Smith something that gave us a lot of wins, even if we think he is not good at SF Milsap will be worst, Korver will not be playing for a contract, Devin Harris will also be missed because we don't have anyone to defend at SG, Hawks are not better with Lou, we were 22-17 when he injured the knee and a backourt of Teague and Lou cannot play too much time... we are very weak on the wing to defend a big SF withoiut Smith and cannot stop a big center... this will tell you guys how valuable are Teague and Horford on the league getting 44 wins, because the talent surrounding them except Smith is just very poor if you compare it with the teams above.

Making the playoffs depends on Jenkins becoming a reliable starter at SG, been capable of scoring efficiently, we know he will not defend well, but at least has the size to not been posted, and DeMarre Carroll becoming a good starter been capable to play 25-30 mpg stopping the best wing on the opposing team at least we make a big move...

Well, I'm not underrating anyone. I'm just going with the knowns first. I really don't try to pinpoint where a team is going to end up seeded. I tend to look at their target seeding. For the top 3 spots, I have Miami, Indy, and Chicago in some kind of order. I think NY and BKN are also in play for one of the top 4 seeds.

There are 3 more playoff seeds available. Personally, you're talking to the wrong person about underrating other teams. It just comes with the territory as a pro-lottery poster. I'm always warning people that surprise teams show up all the time and bad teams don't stay bad forever. It's a cycle and you're better off falling in the standings, rebuilding, and coming back up. So, without a doubt, I don't put it past any team to rise up.

That said, with 5 teams clearly headed to the playoffs, I don't see 3 teams that are head and shoulders better than the Hawks. Honestly, we'd have to be a TERRIBLE team to miss the playoffs and there's just no way. First of all, replacing Smoove is going to have a positive effect on this team. This is a highly assisted player with no jumper, no handles, allergic to the post, who is a terrible free throw shooter...but is BALL DOMINANT and featured as our primary scoring option. Many of his shots are GIVEN to him by the defense as a viable strategy.

Let all that sink in for a second...

The effect of removing him from the offense is going to be TREMENDOUS. Especially when you factor in the scoring load shifting to a penetration specialist (Teague) and a league leader in FG% (Horford). Moreover, you replace Smith with a guy who's attitude is completely opposite and you replace this: http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/smithjo03/shooting/2013/

With this: http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/millspa01/shooting/2013/

Look at the difference in shot selection... Those shitty shots are now going to Horford & Teague. Millsap and Korver (who will be just fine doing what he does) will play cleanup. Lou will be healthy and have only one purpose when he comes off the bench: shoot it.

The Hawks will be fine and if our new coach learned anything under Popovich and is worth half a damn...we'll be in contention for at least a 5 seed. No question that we have the firepower and the work ethic to make the playoffs. There is just no way that we'll see 3 surprise teams better than us AND a total collapse of our squad. Not possible IMO. If anything, we will be the surprise team with a 4 seed and a push for the ECF's. Though I do see our ceiling as 2 games in the 2nd round.