• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks "Aggressively" Shopping Teague

PSSSHHHRRR87

• Moderators

...Sources confirmed that Atlanta is also aggressively shopping young point guard Jeff Teague, despite matching Milwaukee’s four-year, $32-million offer sheet to Teague last summer. Teague, who had a tremendous start to the season, has struggled mightily since the Hawks lost all-star big man Al Horford to injury. Teague could be a cheaper, fallback option in either Toronto or New York, should those team’s preferred choices fall through...

Kyle Lowry anyone?

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/02/17/raptors-have-interest-in-rajon-rondo

Teague just doesn't seem to be the guy who's willing to make that next step and become a leader... and that's a worst kind of flaw for a PG, who basically has to be your leader on the floor... that's why he's been inconsistent, despite having most of the tools necessary to become a star PG in the NBA... He just doesn't have it and that's why Ferry needs to move him while his price is still decent!

• Moderators

I believe the only teams that would be interested in Teague is either a team that already has pieces in place, but needs a starting PG so Teague wouldn't be relied upon (NY, MIA, TOR) or a team that is looking to tank (BOS, SAC, ORL). Problem is that Teague has to agree to be traded and he isn't agreeing to be traded to anything short of a current playoff team, unless he really hates playing in Atlanta. He didn't seem too happy with Atlanta last offseason, so who knows. Maybe that's why he has been slumping... Found out that Ferry has been shopping him and he lost interest in playing for us... He may have requested a trade. At least his contract isn't too sky high. Definitely more than the $5 mil he's worth though. To dump Teague, we may be bring in bad contracts to do so... Not a great ROI.

I'd take Lowry, but I don't know if Toronto would want Teague, although I believe Teague/DeRozan backcourt would be exciting to watch. Lowry takes possessions out of DeRozan's hands; Teague wouldn't do that. And then Lowry would give Atlanta that go-to scorer that we desperately need and only $6.2 mil. Expiring contract too.

Maybe I'm missing something. Lowry has been the best PG in the East for a the past several weeks. Why on earth would anybody trade Lowry for Teague?

Correction: He's been the best PG in the East for the past couple of MONTHS.

Edited by DatWerkk
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Maybe I'm missing something. Lowry has been the best PG in the East for a the past several weeks. Why on earth would anybody trade Lowry for Teague?

Correction: He's been the best PG in the East for the past couple of MONTHS.

Count me in the whole "why doesn't Toronto keep him, thank God they have him, and resign him in the offseason" camp as well...

• Moderators

@DatWerkk and @Sothron, seems quite simple to me, Lowry doesn't wanna re-sign there (I assume) so they're looking for the best available start-worthy PG out there so they don't lose Lowry for nothing?

Now, I can't figure why they don't just let the season play out and work a sign/trade afterwards so ... ok maybe it's not so simple.

That is a possibility as Toronto has had problems for years in retaining players. Guys just don't want to live outside of the States, especially guys from warms climates. Lowry may have had a sit down and told them that useless they give him X amount of dollars, he's walking back to the US. Toronto gets Teague who has a longer contract and Atlanta gets a go-to scorer. Win win.

You can only do SnT deals with teams under the cap, so that eliminates most of the league. SnT deals just aren't an attractive option anymore with the new CBA. Why pay a player more when you can force him to take less?

Lowry will be a free-agent after this season and looking for a BIG payday. That is part of the reason that Toronto wants to trade him, they don't want to invest long term at a high salary.

If we trade for Lowry - how much will we have to pay to keep up? What's a comfortable number?

• Premium Member

Maybe it's like @PSSSHHHRRR87 alluded to and they'll have trouble luring an above average PG to Toronto so acquiring one who's signed to a long-term deal through trade is their best option?

I don't envision their GM being that short-sighted. Despite their success this year, they are clearly building for the long haul. Trying to acquire average players just to keep them in the playoffs is not what they're doing. They will have the option of drafting a point guard and being able to keep him for a few years on a rookie deal.

More media drivel for the mongers to feed on.. Teague will not be traded this year or next year. Everyone knows how deadly this kid can be with a pick and roll shooting forward. If Horford was never hurt this kid would probably be in the top 4 of point guards in the league.Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

More media drivel for the mongers to feed on.. Teague will not be traded this year or next year. Everyone knows how deadly this kid can be with a pick and roll shooting forward. If Horford was never hurt this kid would probably be in the top 4 of point guards in the league.Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Woa dere.buddy.... u make my fans seem sane.
  • Like 2

I don't think Al going down should've had that negative affect on Jeff. His raw PG fundamentals just arent up to snuff for Bud and Ferry. I was watching Patty Mills go ballistic last night and thought "damn, we'd be okay with him." If we think Jeff's demeanor and confidence are less than ideal now, he's gonna really feel like a chump after being shopped hard only to come back after he already had the awkward dance with Ferry this summer.