• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

15th Pick - Adreian Payne

gsuteke

Maybe I missed it, but where is @lethalweapon3's post talking about all the "recent" Michigan State players the Hawks drafted? I believe in nineteen aught eighty-four we picked up a Michigan State big man in the draft. He was OK {/sarcasm}.

Don't worry @hawksfanatic I'll re-size your video to the appropriate size. You just go ahead and make it as wide as you want it, I'm here to work for you! {/sarcasm}

BTW I think he and Scott are going to have a blast together in the locker room. They're both characters.  

Ha, I was more impressed that I actually got a video to embed correctly! The next step of figuring out the size? I'll learn that later. One step at a time here.

Ha, I was more impressed that I actually got a video to embed correctly! The next step of figuring out the size? I'll learn that later. One step at a time here.

I know you did good! Just change the width to 650px and the height to 355px.  

I'll be the first to admit that I wasn't initially a fan of this pick; at all. I wanted a wing player with that pick; namely Hood, Warren, Harris, or James Young. But unlike Marvin, Shelden, and Childress, who I knew were bums from the beginning, I'll wait and see how effective he is on the court before passing judgement. And with Horford recovering and Millsap playing in a contract year, he might just be needed more than we think.

Wish him nothing but the best...

• Moderators

Maybe I missed it, but where is @lethalweapon3's post talking about all the "recent" Michigan State players the Hawks drafted? I believe in nineteen aught eighty-four we picked up a Michigan State big man in the draft. He was OK {/sarcasm}.

Here are some Spartastic summer sartorial tips from the NBA's guru of high fashion. Judging from last night, Adreian looks like he's been paying already attention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETSqpGibRTc

Don't everybody run at once, but I hear his "Willis & Walker" suits are still on sale at Lenox Mall Macy's. Man, Antoine really shoulda got in on this action!

~lw3

• Like 1

Few more things about Payne. I love the fact that he firmly squares his body to the basket before taking a shot. It seems like a given but many college/nba guys don't actually square up, and I'm not even talking about off balance shots or fadeaways. Another thing I like about Payne on his jump shot is the amount leg strength he puts into it, it's a fluid motion of coming down to an almost halfway squat before coming back up. Lastly, I love his old man game. A lot of us were comparing him to guys that played in the 90's and even early 2000's. This guy has more of a 80's old man swag to his game. Sheed and Horry are good comparisons, I'd also throw in a little Cliff Robinson. Also, even though their games aren't great comparisons, Payne moves around and has an eerily similar body type of Glenn Robinson.

I still have to think about an 80's guy that Payne would resemble. Outside of that, I just think he needs to work on his conditioning, strength in his lower body and his overall defense. He has much more of a post up game than I originally thought. Again he's got that old school post up game, he's also got a nice little jump hook from left and right.

@Dolfan23 I think you mentioned that Horry and Payne's athleticism were alike and somebody said Payne had more athleticism. I'm going to have to disagree with whoever said that, Robert Horry was an athletic freak when he came into the league. I'm not saying Payne isn't athletic, obviously I saw what he did in the dunk contest, but as far as game time fast twitch athleticism goes, Robert Horry> Payne.

Here are some Spartastic summer sartorial tips from the NBA's guru of high fashion. Judging from last night, Adreian looks like he's been paying already attention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETSqpGibRTc

Don't everybody run at once, but I hear his "Willis & Walker" suits are still on sale at Lenox Mall Macy's. Man, Antoine really shoulda got in on this action!

~lw3

Somewhere George Zimmer is shaking his head and upset at this post Lethal lol

@Dolfan23 I think you mentioned that Horry and Payne's athleticism were alike and somebody said Payne had more athleticism. I'm going to have to disagree with whoever said that, Robert Horry was an athletic freak when he came into the league. I'm not saying Payne isn't athletic, obviously I saw what he did in the dunk contest, but as far as game time fast twitch athleticism goes, Robert Horry> Payne.

It was me who said that. I believe I was the 1st to say he reminded me of Horry but I don't know if Horry even as a Rocket was as athletic as Payne is. Watching Payne play you don't see it nearly as much as you do in his workout vids but man he's got serious hops. 

It was me who said that. I believe I was the 1st to say he reminded me of Horry but I don't know if Horry even as a Rocket was as athletic as Payne is. Watching Payne play you don't see it nearly as much as you do in his workout vids but man he's got serious hops.

Ya Payne is crazy athlete but I can't forget a 92,93,94,95 Horry. The putback dunks off misses by mad max and Kenny the jet Smith and Sam E.T. Cassell were just sick. I mean sometimes I'd have to rewind some Horry putbacks on my VHS just to see where he came from on the play. If Payne is that athletic in games, then I'm more excited about this draft than I am.

Few more things about Payne. I love the fact that he firmly squares his body to the basket before taking a shot. It seems like a given but many college/nba guys don't actually square up, and I'm not even talking about off balance shots or fadeaways. Another thing I like about Payne on his jump shot is the amount leg strength he puts into it, it's a fluid motion of coming down to an almost halfway squat before coming back up. Lastly, I love his old man game. A lot of us were comparing him to guys that played in the 90's and even early 2000's. This guy has more of a 80's old man swag to his game. Sheed and Horry are good comparisons, I'd also throw in a little Cliff Robinson. Also, even though their games aren't great comparisons, Payne moves around and has an eerily similar body type of Glenn Robinson.

Loving his post game Spud.

He also said he is working on his ball handling in a workout video I saw, which will allow him to be even more deadly facing up.

• Like 1

Some thoughts:

1) Reminds me of Horford in terms of athletic profile, actually

2) Starting as early as next season, he could replace what Antić does, eventually replace Antić and then some

3) Needs to get stronger

4) Needs to work on his passing

5) Love his hustle